Boars head meats

gussiedup

• Moderators

I doubt it. Most deli meats fail to measure up to the real, whole food criteria of a Whole30. The Boars Head website does not share ingredient lists online and that is a red flag to me. They do say, "For additional nutritional information, please call our customer service department at 1-800-352-6277."

I was waylaid by Boars Head Ham the other day, and had to start my W30 all over again - my husband called their customer service, and they said while their meats are gluten free, most of them have added sugar. They emailed us a brochure/info sheet with more details....I'll track it down and try to post it here. But, sadly, I don't think BH is compliant :-(

I was at Publix and had the poor meat slicer read all of the ingredients of the Boar's Head deli meats. None of them were without sugar (to his surprise - he didn't want to check because it's "Crazy to think Organic Turkey Breast would have sugar." I asked nicely and he checked. Sugar in them all.

Applegate Farms has a couple that are compliant.

Food facts..... There is a ton of additives that the USDA does require ( loop holes) companies to list. The law states it needs to be listed but there are ways to get around it...

http://thefoodwatchdog.com/05/food-news/use-of-meat-glue-is-uncontrolled/

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/FRPubs/01-016DF.htm

This is referring to the enzyme ( meat glue) Transglutaminase. TM.

If the deli product that you are getting has been formed to look like a turkey breast or a roast beef/ham.... It more than likely has TM gluing it together in a slury of collagen ...gelatin..broth..... They suck up up through a vacuum tube ( Augustus Gloop) and pump it into preformed plastic bags... Sealed and steamed.... If it looks like its been roasted it was spray painted with caramel coloring after the goo sets up.

Have you every roasted a fresh turkey and had the slices come out in perfect ovals..... Food Chemistry!!!

You can buy bone out natural turkey breasts and roast them for well under half the price of deli turkey. Then consider all deli meats have a ton of water added.... The price is more like 1/4

I get grass fed tri tips and top rounds to roast.... Yield is 85%. So roasted fresh it costs me less than $12 per pound. Organic/ natural roastbeef in the package is usually $14.99 for 6 oz and 1/4 of that is added water So $15 for 4 ounces of beef.....that's $30 per pound!!!!

I know it's convenient but it just don't add up!!!!

I wish I could "uber like" Fenders post above. I never really knew what bothered me about deli meats compared to fresh roasted. I second the tri tip idea. I actually don't get grass fed, but I love the tri tips at Costco. I buy a pack of two of them and freeze one and roast one. LOVE it for after a workout or easy lunch.

Fender...I want to babysit your dogs when you and your wife go on vaca. :)

Fender...I want to babysit your dogs when you and your wife go on vaca. :)

I will hold you to this!!!

When it's coolish out we find places to take them with us..... It's always a circus when we pull up,to a motel to overnight and parade the three of them through the lobby.... But Florida to Oregon to drop them off might be a bit far for them to drive.... Lol

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

what about the boar's head beef pastrami?

You have to check the ingredients. Even if you're getting it at the deli counter, they should have a list of ingredients for you to look at. If you can't confirm what the ingredients are, there's no way to know whether it's OK or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I called Boar's Head and they were very familiar with Whole30. Only 2 meats are compliant - I can't recall the first, but the 2nd is the Deluxe Low Sodium Roast Beef.

Good for you!  That's awesome!  Way to take on the research!  My day lit up when I read this!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, KristinNMn said:

Any followup on this topic?  I am seeing many of them being sugar-free, but I don't see a list of other ingredients! 

Who would you like to do the follow up?  If you're interested, maybe contact the company and see if there's anything they can provide to you to answer any questions you have about ingredients

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived