CraftyCarnivore's Whole50 (March 17-May 5)

CraftyCarnivore

Hi all,

Just started W30 yesterday. I was so excited to start, after two friends shared their journeys with me. I was I'm San Francisco all last week, and after a week of being wined and dined (and sourdoughed and Ghiradellied), I felt like absolute cr@p and couldn't wait to eat delicious whole food.

So, here's the last two days. I have not been one bit hungry, but I do realize I need to cut out the fruit a bit, and only eat it sparingly as an ingredient. I also need to up the green veggie intake.

Day one

B: 3 eggs, 1 niman ranch andouille sausage, cutie mandarin

L: can of bear and wolf salmon mixed with pickled jalapeños (organic/compliant) and about 1/4 c chopped mango.

D: PaleOMG easy crockpot pork (pork shoulder, juice of one cutie mandarin, onions) and plantain mash (plantains sautéed in coconut oil, cinnamon, s&p), 1/2 avocado, about 1/2 cup pineapple

Day 2

B: leftover pork and carnitas; TJs ruby red chai tea with about 1 tbsp coconut milk

L: Asian chicken salad (cooked crockpot chicken, coconut aminos, olive oil, green onions, chopped mango, failed mayo that never set up but works ok as a dressing), 1 c. sliced strawberries

D: filet mignon (~6 oz), Barefoot contessa's Brussels sprouts (roasted with balsamic, evoo, s&p, prosciutto [Citerrio brand -- w30 compliant), mixed green salad w/ mustard vinaigrette (TJs spicy mustard, balsamic, 1 tsp crushed garlic, evoo)

I have been drinking tons of water, one cup of black coffee in the am, and drinking this organic ruby red chai tea (just rooibos and the typical chai spices -- all organic and no sugar!).

Plan for Day 3

B: leftover chicken salad, 1/2 avocado

L: leftover filet, Brussels sprouts

D: garlic/lime chicken quarters, nomnompaleo's sweet potato fries

Probably not perfect, but I feel like I'm off to a good start. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slight adjustment to Day 3:

Plan for Day 3

B: leftover chicken salad, 1/2 avocado, red pepper slices

L: leftover filet, Brussels sprouts, clutie mandarin

D: garlic/lime chicken quarters, nomnompaleo's sweet potato fries, green salad

Does this look ok? The other days just felt like WAY too much food.

Hi Crafty! It does not look like enough food for day day 3 (dinner looks good), but the other days look good. The only fruit I eat daily is a medium banana, medium sized portion of rasberries and maybe 1/2 small apple.

Have a nice day!

This is what I eat and it's I am pretty sure I will lose weight even though it's a lot of food. I'm 5'7" and 135.

B Egg scramble (about a pound of stir fry broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, bell peppers, garlic, onions, zucchini, spinach, and open handful of kalamata olives) After the veggies are stir fried I added 3 eggs and scramble, a small side of acorn squash

S Banana w/closed handful of cashews

L Big salad w/spring greens, load of raw veggies, sauer kraut, 4 tbsp guacamole, salsa, and vinegar topped with ground beef. Side of roasted veggies, 1/2 sweet potato and some rasberries.

D Free range boneless skinless chicken thighs w/African Smoke seasoning and fried in a little olive oil, brussell sprouts, whole small-medium sweet potato and 1 tbsp coconut oil.

I do have a starch vegetable at every meal whether it be a sweet potato or winter squash. It helps me feel more satisfied.

I guess you should go how you feel. I like having 3 big meals that way I don't want to snack in between. I do strength train 3 days a week and run with my dog, Lucy every morning for 1/2 hour.

Yeah, it's 3pm now, and I'm ready to hurt someone for some chocolate! :( I guess I"m feeling the way I should feel, but I probably should have included some sweet potato at lunch. Good point. :) I did end up having the other half of my avocado drizzled with lemon for a snack, and have been drinking rooibos chai tea to curb the hunger.

Can I ask how many eggs are in your scramble?

Thank you so much!!

Don't eat the chocolate! I won't eat it either and it's TOM for me so the cravings are hard, yesterday was harder though so if you hold on one more day then tomorrow will be easier. :)

I have 3 eggs in my scramble.

I'm on day 4. :) I did W30 before but got frustrated with constipation and quit after day 10. This time around I am not constipated and I feel much better about it. :)

:) I didn't eat the chocolate. I immersed myself in a project at work and before I knew it, it was time to go home and have dinner. Lemon water and chai tea are my saviors. Tomorrow I am spinning, so I will pack an apple and almonds as a pre-workout snack. :)

Avocados are keeping me regular. I also bought some digestive enzymes today, which helped my tummy feel a bit better.

Thanks for your support!

Tomorrow's plan:

B

Leftovers from dinner

L

Big organic greens salad with chicken, avocado, a little mango, mustard vinaigrette

D

Breakfast for dinner (since I'm having dinner for breakfast)

Egg frittata cooked in olive oil with tons of veggies

S

Apple and almonds

Other 1/2 of avocado if I need it

Check this info given by Tom (moderator) to someone else about pre/post w/o snacks....

"The food you eat before a workout is supposed to send a signal to your body to release energy, so the Whole9 recommends some protein and fat. Something like a boiled egg or two, some nuts, etc. An orange is not a good signal food and the fiber from fruit can be an issue.

After a workout, your body needs lean protein. Adding fat to the post-workout meal slows digestion, keeping your muscles from eating as fast as would be good, so it would be good to skip the mayo with a post-workout meal."

^Interesting, Evelyn. Thank you!

Well, the best laid plans. I modified things a bit, based on how much time I had in the morning to get my stuff together:

B (definitely not enough!)

Niman Ranch Andouille Sausage

Red Pepper Strips

S (10am)

Was supposed to be pre-workout, but ended up being too hungry after breakfast

TJ's “Just a Handful†Almonds

L

Big green salad with mustard vinaigrette

Leftover Coconut lime chicken legs

Leftover nomnom sweet potato fries

S

Apple (was supposed to go with my almonds…I'll need to figure out another pre-workout snack – maybe some cashew butter?)

D

3-egg omelette (might do this as a quiche so I can have LO tomorrow)

Cooked in a bit of EVOO

With roasted chicken, asparagus, baby bella mushrooms, pickled jalapenos (W30 compliant)

Day 5

B

Chicken Vege Curry (crockpot chicken, broccoli, asparagus, onion, mushrooms, bit of mango on top, coconut milk, green curry paste)

L

Whole Foods salad bar salad: Mixed greens w/ roasted sweet potato, chicken, roasted garlic, shredded beet, "detox" salad, olives, HB egg, evoo, balsamic, Bragg's

D

Zoodles topped with

shrimp and avocado

S

snack size package of pistachios

Hi! Dunno if you have the Well Fed cookbook or if you just check out her website but I've been steam sauteeing veggies as part of my weekend cookups and it's great (particularly for breakfasts cause my mornings are nuts!). She also has great tips on "hot plates". In less than an hour I have a ton of stored veggies in the fridge and while I do those I have sweet potatoes baking in the oven. Since I started my W30, I've always had collards, chard, and another green on hand (beet tops, spinach, kale)... I'll also do some broccoli, cauliflower, string beans right before dinners too so tons of variety. Half dozen hard boiled eggs is another handy one I'll do every few days. ... weird but I find myself craving greens, like I can't have a meal without them :wacko: ....

Day 7

B

3 omelette cups (eggs, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli)

Nom nom sweet potato hash

L

Sweet potato hash

Shredded roasted chicken

Avocado on top

S

Apple slices wrapped in prosciutto

D

Well fed chocolate chili

Plantain chips

Green salad

I probably should have had more greens today.

Been a few days since I logged in, and today was rough! I didn't have enough chili in my lunch, and I went nuts -- literally -- this afternoon. I didn't eat anything that wasn't on w30, but my behavior was not w30. I'm also pmsing, which I'm sure is contributing to the problem.

Tomorrow is another day, thank goodness!

Day 9 - Off to a better start with a better breakfast:

B

¼ frittata made with eggs, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, prosciutto

Niman Ranch Andouille sausage

½ c. spaghetti squash

L

“Pile†of shredded crockpot chicken, sweet potatos, broccoli

Topped with 2 T. avocado mayo

D

Crockpot BB ribs

Barefoot contessa's Brussels sprouts (roasted with balsamic and evoo, shallots and prosciutto)

Beverages: tons of lemon water, TJ's ruby red chai tea and a La Croix.

Your meals sound mighty yummy too - congrats on Day 9 - it was just about then that I thought 'what the heck am I doing?' but I am so thankful I kept it up - such a difference a few days make!

Thank you!! I had some envious coworkers when I pulled out my lunch and they were salting their lean cuisines. Ew.

Whole 30 – Day 10

B

1/4 Frittata (zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, prosciutto)

Roasted sweet potato

Broccoli

L

About 1 c. of shredded chicken (mixed light and dark meat)

On top of leftover Brussels sprouts

Topped with garlic avocado mayo

D

Up in the air, but I'm not cooking a whole meal. We'll either have leftovers, or head over to the Brazilian place for a belated birthday dinner for DH where there are tons of options.

The good:

• I did better with the pistachios yesterday – only one package.
  • Ate a ton of veggies
  • Drank 4 24-oz tumblers of water with lemon, a 16-oz cup of TJs Ruby Red chai and a La Croix

The bad:

• I ate nuts more out of “wanting a snack†and not “needing to eatâ€. Need to break that habit.

Thinking of the following meals for next week. Since I'll be gone this weekend, I won't have time to do a full-on cook-up, so that means dinners that are quick to put together next week after work.

• Jambalaya: Niman Ranch Andouille sausage, chicken and shrimp – basically, everything that's in a regular jambalaya except for the rice and roux.
  • Sweet potato hash and eggs (will do this as a breakfast for dinner one night)
  • Steaks with roasted veggies and sautéed spinach
  • Deviled eggs with homemade mayo
  • Salmon salad
  • Usual batch of roasted veggies and sweet potatoes

Oh, and last night I dreamt I ate a whole bowl of cookie dough (which I don't even really like) and had to go before a Supreme Court judge.

Whole 30 - Day 12

B

Leftover Greek meatballs and sauce (first non-egg bfast in over a week!)

Broccoli

Topped with 1/2 avocado

S

Pistachios, garlic stuffed olives

L

Compliant salad bar choices from Jason's deli

D

First real restaurant meal! Went to a neighborhood Mexican place - grilled skirt steak topped with guacamole and salsa

S

Apple with cashew butter

Archived