CraftyCarnivore's Whole50 (March 17-May 5)

CraftyCarnivore

Today is Day 14!! I went to St Louis with my 5yo (we celebrate Orthodox Easter with DHs family in May) and stayed compliant. However, yesterday we ate breakfast at the Embassy Suites, and my omelet could either be cooked in fake butter or cooking spray. I went for the spray, telling myself a) I'm not using off-roading as an excuse to add cheese to my eggs or milk to my coffee, and i stayed compliant the rest of the day B) I'd rather have the eggs cooked in spray than no eggs at all and c) I'm really doing a Whole 50(ish)...through May 5 (we leave for Disney the next day). So if I slip up on a preparation technicality, it's ok.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. ;)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the encouraging words, ladies!! :blush: I actually haven't prepared “jambalaya-esque†(and I think rule number one of getting through W30 is, no “food in quotesâ€!). But there's a great Cajun restaurant in Chicago that serves a no-carb jambalaya, so I'll kind of do what they do. Sautee the “trinity†(green pepper, onion, celery) in olive oil with Cajun seasonings. Add Andouille sausage (using Niman Ranch – compliant) and chicken (I cook a chicken in the crockpot once a week, so I have chicken to use all week). Brown nicely. Add shrimp at the end; let shrimp sit on top of everything else for a minute or two, then give everything one good scramble at the end. Top with green onions.

W30 is not hard as long as you plan. Just always plan to have food with you, or be somewhere where you can get *something* and you'll do fine. The food is delicious. It's a lot of prep; if you don't like to cook, you can start with really basic recipes (it's hard to screw up a steak and roasted veggies, for instance). If you do like to cook, there is so much out there to prepare.

Good luck – it's not just hard boiled eggs and broiled chicken. There's SO much out there.

Whole 30 - day 14

B

Chicken salad (crockpot chicken, avocado, homemade mayo, celery, green onions, curry powder)

Leftover parsnips

Sliced strawberries

L

Big salad from whole foods with compliant veggies, fats, and premade salads (curried cauliflower and 'detox' salad)

Piece of salmon from deli

2 mandarins

D

Jambalaya as mentioned above. Cooked in no time flat without rice.

Zucchini noodles

S

Pistachios (2 individual packages...I need to tame the snack-dragon. But these are controlled portions at least)

Day 14 raves:

My skin feels and looks awesome!!

My hidradenitis (google it) is getting way better.

Starting to feel a mix of tiger blood mixed with I'd kill someone for a chocolate Easter bunny. I'm sure my pending period has something to do with that.

Jeans were HUGE on me this morning.

Day 15!

B

Chicken salad (mentioned above)

strawberries

L

Jambalaya (mentioned above)

Mixed green salad with closed palmful of pistachios

HM mustard-red wine vinaigrette

D (with a friend, at a local char-house)

Mixed green salad with o/v

Pork chop

steamed veggies

Hopefully they will have a sweet potato

Day 16 -- and my Tiger Blood is wasted on sitting at my desk. Shucks.

B

Chicken salad w/ homemade mayo, avocado, lime juice, touch of green curry paste (I might have had too big a serving of this, but it is keeping me nice and full.)

L

Picking up a Big Salad from the WF salad bar, and a piece of salmon from the prepared foods counter.

D

Dinner with hubby at a Brazilian steakhouse. I've been dying for this meal! We are registering our daughter for kindy tonight.

W30 is not hard as long as you plan. Just always plan to have food with you, or be somewhere where you can get *something* and you'll do fine. The food is delicious. It's a lot of prep; if you don't like to cook, you can start with really basic recipes (it's hard to screw up a steak and roasted veggies, for instance). If you do like to cook, there is so much out there to prepare.

This is so true. I have a freezer full of compliant meals and always make sure I have some vegetables on hand. If I think I'll be rushed in the evening (sometimes I only have a 30-min break for dinner) I cook them in advance so it only takes a few minutes in the microwave to have a great W30 meal.

I'm a sweet tooth and a snacker, so I cut out fruit and nuts after my first week. I found they became my go-to snacks that I shouldn't have. Now I don't even have them in the house for "emergencies". I can't trust myself with them. I know it's better to have those than something non-W30 but not keeping any in the house forced me to have a boiled egg and avocado etc, instead of reaching for the easy option. I found I was using fruit to feed the sugar cravings I was trying to get rid of so that got the chop (temporarily for W30) too.

I've got some really great meal ideas from your log so keep up the good work.

I've got some really great meal ideas from your log so keep up the good work.

This made me feel so good, Megan. Thank you.

Day 18 - Seriously?

B

3 HB eggs

About 1.5 oz of proscuitto

1/2 honeycrisp apple

About 2 T. cashew butter

(Not stellar, but easy enough to throw together.)

L

Going to lunch at the same place I went to dinner on Tuesday. My work friends are very supportive of my "diet" and said, "Where can we go that you won't have to eat the napkins?" LOL.

Mediterranean shrimp salad (sadly, no feta) dressed with O&V

D

I think I'm just going to make ground beef scramble. Haven't figured out what that looks like yet, but I'm not up for poring over recipes tonight.

This week's grocery list (which gets shorter and shorter each week):

apples

grapes

strawberries

plantains

whatever other fruit is on sale (mostly for DD)

salad

broccoli

sweet potatoes

spaghetti squash

avocados

zucchini

brussels sprouts

tomatillos

fire roasted tomatoes

(non Whole30 stuff for the non-compliant family)

Costco

Wholly Guacamole (100 cal pacs)

proscuitto

Steak (flank, ribeye)

lamb chops

crab meat

Aidell's chicken-apple sausages

This week's cook-up:

Roasted veges (ancient sweet peppers, zucchini, asparagus)

Spaghetti squash

Steamed broccoli

Deviled eggs

Frittata

Meatballs (enough to freeze!) and sauce(s)

Chocolate chili

Butternut squash soup

I'm kinda sick of chicken, so I think I'll give the crockpot chicken a break this week. My idea is to have sides and veggies ready to go so I just need to grill some meat when I get home.

Meals this week:

Balsamic Short Ribs (Practical Paleo)

Lamb Chops

BFD (usually on Wednesdays - eggs over sweet potato hash topped with avocado is my new favorite food ever)

flank steak tacos

Damn fine didn't happen yesterday. :( dh and dd wanted pizza, so I made some random concoction that wasn't memorable.

Whole 30 - Day 20

B

3 scrambled eggs

Spinach/mushrooms

Sweet potato hash

L

chipotle carnitas salad with guac

D

Damn fine chicken

Roasted veggies

Whole 30 - day 21

I can't believe I'm this far along already!

B

Chocolate chili

Avocado salsa verde

Spaghetti squash

L

Left over damn fine chicken

Roasted veges

Cream of cauli soup (,made with coconut milk)

D

Crockpot BBQ ribs

Sweet potatos

Big green salad

The nut packs are gone, so I'm working on a snack free 'nother 27 days. I am doing whole 30 until we go to Disneyworld on May 6, and even then I will do my best to be compliant.

Whole 30+ - Day 23!

B

Salmon salad (same as yesterday's lunch) with some mixed greens

L

L/o balsamic short ribs (scrumptious!)

Asparagus

Spag squash

Strawberries

Add: apple & almond butter

D

Dinner @ local Brazilian steakhouse.

Change in plans -- BFD:

3 eggs

Smoked salmon

Mixed greens

Baba ghannouj

Weird combo of food, but I was HUNGRY when I got home, and I needed food to Get. In. My. Bellaaaayyyy quickly!

Yesterday's and today's triumph: NO SNACKING!! I did end up splitting my breakfast up and eating part of it at 7:30 and part of it around 10 (I really was hungry), but I almost don't count that. I got through the afternoon on vanilla/cinnamon tea from Trader Joes.

Today, I ate a little more than the template. I was really hungry, and not sure why.

I'm in a ridiculous Tiger Blood stage. This is wasted on a desk job, lol!

W30 – Day 25

Note: My skinny jeans are loose fresh out of the dryer, people!!

B

Mix of smoked salmon (compliant) and half an avocado splashed with lemon

(I forgot my veggies to go with it – doh!)

L

L/o balsamic short ribs. (Rest are going in the freezer)

Green beans topped with baba ghannouj

Other ½ avocado

D

Salmon (not sure how I'm preparing it)

Sweet potato hash (from Johnny's blog)

Roasted veggies

Maybe a green salad

I have a huge grocery/Costco trip planned tomorrow. I actually enjoy grocery shopping these days.

Day 26!!!!

B (my fave breakfast so far)

Sweet potato hash from Johnny's site

2 eggs, sunny side up

1/2 avocado

L

L/o balsamic short ribs

Mixed green salad with apple and avocado

S

Prosciutto

Kale chips (nom!)

Bites of butternut squash soup I cooked up

D

Salmon

Broccoli

Smashburger it was!! It's nice to know that's available but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek out smashburger again.

I feel like I am nesting! I have cleaned out two cabinets and two BIG kitchen drawers. It's nice to have all of my Rubbermaid containers with their lids for my leftovers.

The spice cabinet reorg was LONG overdue. Everything on the bottom shelf is compliant.

post-18458-0-90255900-1365964036_thumb.j

post-18458-0-55031400-1365964060_thumb.j

Archived