Banana almond pan-fried discs

Liz Powell

• Moderators

You're right. We ask you not to copy conventional foods with paleo ingredients during your Whole30. It's a psychological thing. The Whole30 is a time to go deep into real, whole foods. Copying old foods with new ingredients keeps you too close to the old way of eating and makes you vulnerable to slipping right back after you finish your Whole30 (and to maintain cravings during your Whole30).

• 5 months later...

Still a pancake....just eat the banana and eggs...mashed banana with eggs fried in coconut oil is still a paleo-ified knockoff of food from pre-W30 and will only continue to foster unhealthy habits just like to Tom said. Whole30 is about changing your habits and your mind not figuring out ways to still have a "pancake" with compliant ingredients.

I won't even julienne unripe plantains and sauté in coconut oil..... WAY to close to eating

French fries.... I know ther e is nothing wrong with plantains in coconut oil, but when you emulate a old bad habit, you brain goes nuts......for others it may be fine, for me, I avoid it....

I won't even julienne unripe plantains and sauté in coconut oil..... WAY to close to eating

French fries.... I know ther e is nothing wrong with plantains in coconut oil, but when you emulate a old bad habit, you brain goes nuts......for others it may be fine, for me, I avoid it....

I love this post because I think it shows where we all have to take responsibilty for ourselves even with compliant foods. For instance, I honestly don't like French fries much so wouldn't have a problem here but......kale chips........ now that's a whole other matter. I used to make these when I was a raw vegan but I avoid them like the plague now because, for me, they're a total 'brakes-off' food.Ii can take a small handful and, without even being really aware of it, keep going back until I've eaten a whole dehydrator's worth and think 'Where did they all go?' :huh: I guess one thing W30 really taught me is that triggers are best avoided!

I love this post because I think it shows where we all have to take responsibilty for ourselves even with compliant foods. For instance, I honestly don't like French fries much so wouldn't have a problem here but......kale chips........ now that's a whole other matter. I used to make these when I was a raw vegan but I avoid them like the plague now because, for me, they're a total 'brakes-off' food.Ii can take a small handful and, without even being really aware of it, keep going back until I've eaten a whole dehydrator's worth and think 'Where did they all go?' :huh: I guess one thing W30 really taught me is that triggers are best avoided!

So spot on! Everyone's "triggers" are different. Some it's fruit, some it's nuts, some it's kale chips or fried plantains. Even compliant food can be triggers or food without brakes. Just because they are compliant isn't the green light to go nutso on them. The program is about retraining your brain and figuring out the mental side of it all. Medjool dates and coconut flakes (duh, I'm a sugar addict!) are the things I need to be mindful of so I only have them once a week, a serving in check and ALWAYS with a meal.

• 5 months later...

I feel like you can say the same about Cauliflower "mashed potatoes". It's a popular whole 30 staple but isn't that paleo-fying a conventional dish? 

Yes but do you think they taste the same as mashed potatoes?  Do they have the same texture? - personally I don't think they do.  I used to love potatoes.  Love them.  Everyday I had a potato growing up.  The mash cauliflower only was a meh for me.  It looked like mashed potatoes - sure - but it didn't taste like them nor have the same texture when eating them.   I hardly make them.  Sweet potato and Celery root mashed together like mashed potatoes - Now that I can get excited over. (Still don't make them a lot though)

I feel like you can say the same about Cauliflower "mashed potatoes". It's a popular whole 30 staple but isn't that paleo-fying a conventional dish? 

Perhaps conventional was a poor choice of words.  What we mean is that we ask you not to recreate (in a way that significantly resembles by taste, texture, relationship, whatever) otherwise poor food choices with acceptable ingredients. Pancakes are pretty much never a part of a meal that fits the appropriate template, and so are a generally poor food choice. Instead they are used a vessel for sugar, sometimes fruit, and a little more sugar. Cauliflower mashed potatoes, however, are a nice fit within the suggested outline of protein, veg and fat.

Call them golden cupcake suprise if you want.... It's still just mashed cauliflower .....smells like cauliflower, looks like cauliflower, tastes exactly like cauliflower.....

I think the confusion is in the name ( I'm a chef and we take lots of poetic license to get people to eat things they might be afraid of)

But pancakes that are laden with fruit and nuts while probably tasty, would almost certainly cause anyone to push good veggy of their plates

Now cauliflower pancakes on the other hand......... Technically speaking, 3-4 times a week I eat a whole pan full of sautéed mixed veg/ left over meat with 2-3 eggs cracked in and it looks like a big ass pancake.... But it's really a frittata :)

There was a recent post called SWYPO...or not. Melissa addressed the whole SWYPO question pretty succinctly and definitively. You might find something there that helps explain (her post is at the end).

The basic idea of the W30 is to get yourself eating meat + veg + fat. Every meal. Something like this pushes meat and veg off your plate and keeps you psychologically tied to sweet, carb-heavy, nutrient-poor breakfasts.

Ha! If you're gonna go horse over cart, kale's the way to go, I suppose. But one does need to be aware of their own personal food with no brakes (for me, bacon).

Bacon for me too.  I'm avoiding it, because I'll fry up and eat a whole plate of it. 

As for pancakes - I haven't had any for several years other than a bite off someone's plate.  To me, it's just wheat stacks soaked in sugar.  So, the other day when I made pan"fakes" with banana and egg, I didn't feel guilty.  They aren't a trigger for me at all - I was just bored with plain ol' eggs. 

Archived