Need to gain weight!

Well, we're surviving the Whole 30! I'm expecting a lot from the next 30 days. I've brought my husband on this journey with me and we're expecting to see some allergy symptoms reduce in him. While I am excited at the thought of losing weight, my husband can't afford to lose any more weight... He just dropped from 105 to 99 since we started the Whole 30 (I know, no scale. This is actually a health concern though).

My question for you: has anyone successfully GAINED weight through the Whole 30? Seeing his weight below 100 was a bit concerning. I'm wondering if his weight loss will continue.

Any ideas?

Ashley, two things. One, he's gotta eat. More. Of everything. Dropping foods that are concentrated calorie sources and replacing them with veggies and fruit makes for a caloric deficit unless you make a conscious effort to bump up the fat in a major way (and probably the protein, too). More protein, more fat, and if he needs to eat fewer bulky, fibrous, leafy greens to compensate and get enough calories, so be it.

Two, his lifestyle has to support weight maintenance or gain. If he's a runner, big into the metabolic conditioning and not so much weightlifting (or doesn't exercise at all), he may have a hard time putting on weight. I'd suggest making sure his training/exercise/recovery supports his weight maintenance goals, too. That's critically important.

Hope that helps!

Melissa

Thanks, Melissa! His major issue with eating more is that he gets full too fast. I guess eating more than three meals a day is better than not getting enough. Is that on par?

He also doesn't like anything that's fatty except nuts. We're successfully incorporating more avocado and olives into his diet. I need to get better at hiding fats in meals!

On the athletics side of things, he's an endurance cyclist and needs quite a bit of energy. I have Paleo Diet for Athletes and I've decided we're going to add in more carbohydrates from fruit after rides (unless you can eat your weight in sweet potatoes, they don't have enough carbs to replenish a 3 hour ride).

We're going to try these ideas and hopefully he doesn't lose anymore weight. However, after reading some other posts, I think his weight will stabilize this week.

Thanks again!

Ashley, you can also use tapioca/cassava as a dense carbohydrate source. It's almost pure starch, so it doesn't have the micronutrient profile that most fruits and veggies have, but it's a good, dense source of carbs for the endurance athletes

Archived