April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

Hi Cayenne! I found my workouts tough the first week or so - I'm a cyclist as well. I played around with when I ate my carbs (through fruit) - I try to eat my fruit in meal 1 and 2, and then just have veggies and protein at dinner. If I know I am going to have a tough workout, I have 1/2 sweet potato and some protein about an hour before, with some fat, either avocado, or a hand full of nuts. Then right after my workout I have some protein. ISWF has a section of the book dedicated to athletes to help with fueling. It's hard to break the "carbs for fuel" mentality we have been taught. Go easy on yourself the first week, your body will be adapting to the changes you are making. Good luck!!!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 39 here.

I'm incorporating beginning yoga into my days, 20 minutes to start thru an Android app. I've never done yoga before and it's already having a remarkable effect on my body. I feel less tense throughout the day, as well as more able to be physical and less stiff after ten hours on a forklift (although, still stiff-er than I want to be, lol). I'm also trying to get back to my meditation practice, as that's helping me as well be more in the moment and mindful. I have a very long few weeks coming up with far too much on my plate, but I can't do anything but muddle through it, so hopefully making these self-care issues a priority will enable me to emerge unscathed on the other side.

I've backed off my 7:30pm snack to just nuts and tea, as the tomatoes were giving me heartburn for the first time. Plus I didn't need the extra, I've found, just enough to keep me from being light-headed or hungry by 9:30 dinner break at work. And I continue to not always eat everything I bring to work, as I pay attention to my body and eat slowly to fill up the entire 30 minute period. I usually bring leftovers back home and either have them as a snack if I'm hungry then, or save them for breakfast the next day. :D So this is all very different from the last, oh, fifty years for me.

Husband continues to feel better and look a little slimmer. He's two weeks into his Whole30, and I'm hoping he gets more energy soon... he's waking up more refreshed but still needs a nap some days, usually due to stress. We're planning a trip to see our kid in two weeks, and I offered that he at least should maybe do some reintroduction of bread prior to that, but surprisingly he was pretty adamant about staying compliant, and that we will probably be able to continue. I'm so proud of him!

Great to see so many people active in this thread!

Hi! I'm new to the forums as of today and started Whole30 yesterday. I've been either obese or overweight my entire life. I am very active-- boot camp 3x week and run 1/2 marathons (doing one on Sunday)-- but, I have never been able to control the "food side" of my health. To say that I am powerless to my food cravings would be an understatement.

I literally stumbled upon the Whole9 website, bought the book and familiarized myself with the concepts, and drank my last glass of wine on Friday.

So far, I'm literally just eating off the shopping list. I haven't prepared anything fancy-- just in "survival mode" at this time. I gave up my coffee, too, because to drink it without 1/2 & 1/2 is a punishment worse than death.

My husband asked me what's wrong with me earlier this afternoon, so I know something must be going on!

Nice to "meet" you all.

Cayenne- I am a runner and I saw on one of the other forums the idea of using organic puréed baby food pouches for a mid workout boost. I like the Ellas Kitchen ones. An unusual source of energy but conveniently portable! Check out the whole30 forum for athletes too. There is a lot of good info over there! Oh and Marks Daily Apple has a bunch of information as well. Good luck to you!!

Well, just got home from a 50 mile ride in the beautiful weather we are having in NC this weekend. Had 1/2 banana at mile 20 then had to have the rest < 10 miles later. Gotta plan a bit better-I took a Larabar just in case as I was really unsure about the no carb thing(I ate it:(.I came home and ate a sweet potato. I don't do long rides during the week so I can figure it out a bit better for next weekends long rides.AZ-I will do the 1/2 sweet potato before and the protein after(maybe the other half of the potato). thanks for the suggestions! Cayenne

Has anyone tried Tahini? I just bought it. Wanted to try something new. I've never used it and have no clue where to start. Ideas??

Tahini is great for sauces and dips. If you like hummus, I would suggest Baba Ganoush which is basically tahini, roasted egglant, lemon, olive oil and garlic.

Hi! I'm new to the forums as of today and started Whole30 yesterday. I've been either obese or overweight my entire life. I am very active-- boot camp 3x week and run 1/2 marathons (doing one on Sunday)-- but, I have never been able to control the "food side" of my health. To say that I am powerless to my food cravings would be an understatement.

I literally stumbled upon the Whole9 website, bought the book and familiarized myself with the concepts, and drank my last glass of wine on Friday.

So far, I'm literally just eating off the shopping list. I haven't prepared anything fancy-- just in "survival mode" at this time. I gave up my coffee, too, because to drink it without 1/2 & 1/2 is a punishment worse than death.

My husband asked me what's wrong with me earlier this afternoon, so I know something must be going on!

Nice to "meet" you all.

Good luck!

One week down and I feel great. I didn't have any hang over symptoms, I slept much better and only craved tortilla chips once (ate celery sticks instead for the crunch and to scoop up my guacamole). My husband is doing it with me to. He was planning to modify the plan this week to include somethings he wanted, his own version of Whole30 (smh), but he got on the scale this morning and decided against going off plan. This man lost 9 pounds this week and he wasn't severely overweight. He is 5'10 and 210. Very happy for him.

Looking forward to a strong and on track week 2. All my meals this week are from Practical Paleo. 7 are new recipes.

Hey friends! I am going to jump on this bandwagon a little late. My name is JJ and I am a 26 year old athletic guy. I am 6' 175lbs and decided to try the whole30 not for weight loss but for optimal health. I started my first whole30+ on 3/26. I plan on going strict until at least 5/1 and then assessing how I feel. So far life has been great: my mood is more positive, I am sleeping better, my stomach isn't always bloated, I haven't binged eat. I think the best change is my mood. For a while I was riding an emotional rollercoaster and the last two weeks have been pretty positive. I noticed the first week and a couple days I would start to get really tired and fatigued during the middle of my weight lifting session. The past few days that has gotten better and on Friday I was able to so a solid back session and a spin class. Anyway, I am looking forward to being an active member of this forum!!

Day 8, and the only thing I'm really having trouble with is that I still have the urge to get on the scale everyday. I know you're not supposed to weigh-in during a Whole30, but I've been a daily weigher for years now, and I'm having a hard time breaking the habit. I'm not actively trying to lose weight or anything, it just makes me feel better to monitor it. Anyone else been able to give up daily weigh-ins? Or at least cut back on them?

I used to step on the scale everyday too. What I ended up doing is taking it and putting it in the back of my closet. When it was in my bathroom it was easy to just hop on. With it now being in the closet, I have to consciously pull it out in order to get on it. I find this extra step gives me an extra second to think, "Do I really need to weigh myself today"

Day 8, and the only thing I'm really having trouble with is that I still have the urge to get on the scale everyday. I know you're not supposed to weigh-in during a Whole30, but I've been a daily weigher for years now, and I'm having a hard time breaking the habit. I'm not actively trying to lose weight or anything, it just makes me feel better to monitor it. Anyone else been able to give up daily weigh-ins? Or at least cut back on them?

Yup, I've been semi-successfully resisting. Day 9 for me and I've weighed myself 3 times so far. No weighing today!

Yeah, it's hard to resist. Husband has been trying to lose weight (down 20 lbs or so since Christmas) so the scale is out all the time. I've dropped a few pounds, but I don't really want this whole thing to be about weightloss. Just a bad habit I need to work on breaking!

I am an everyday weigher too. I've gotten on the scale once (Day 5 today) and didn't love what I saw. However, I've told myself I am eating more than I did before at meals, not snacking at all after day 1 and eating more healthy fats. I workout a lot so I've been adjusting my meals so I have enough fuel to get through them. Hopefully the next time I see what's on the scale, I'll be happy with the result. I do find that my clothes are fitting a bit better though. That's more important than the number on the scale. Have a great day everyone!

Hello! This is day 8 and I am feeling ok! I day dream about baking all the time but I did that too before starting w30. It doesn't help that my Pinterest feed is mostly bajes goods but I don't feel tempted, I just imagine which dessert would pair with what.

I though Sunday was going to be harder. It used to be my "cheat" day, we would order out, or made fried chicken, bake some cake or something but yesterday wasn't hard. We had a time change here and it made me sleep longer so I can't complain.

I hada dream on day 3 about baking chocolate chips as i started earlier but in my dream I didn't eat the cookies. I hope it will work that way after w30.

I ate out on Friday and Saturday and it was all compliant and quite tasty. I am glad I did already because I was feeling anxious about it. Not anymore.

On Saturday a friend told me I looked thinner than last week and it felt awesome! I really don't have much to loose. I am a size 4 in jeans but my sugar dragon keeps me storing a later of fat that I want gone. But what I really want to be gone is the sugar dragon itself. I wonder when and if it'll knock on my door during the w30.

Ps So sorry about your friend. I will keep his family in my thoughts.

@Jochi have you seen a drop in weight?

Yup, starting weight (Day 2, was out of town Day 1) was 153.6, when I weighed in yesterday, it was 149.8. Goal was to get under 150 lbs, but would be curious to see if I can achieve 145 in 30 days. I'm already at a healthy weight/bodyfat, so it's not easy to drop pounds at this point.

Question: anyone has a planned cheat coming up? I'm invited to a party next weekend and I'm making some homemade ice cream (so, so good, this is the 4th time I'm making it for someone else, but the 1st time it will actually be someone other than me devouring it, haha) and also wanted to have some wine. There will be lots of paleo people there, so I imagine others will bring Primal or Whole30-friendly stuff. I've pondered hard whether I should just stick to it, but I really don't see myself enjoying the evening with a glass of water in my hand and raw vegetables in another, so I've pretty much decided I'll have wine (no more than 2 glasses) and one food item that's not Whole30-friendly if I feel that it's worth it - no pizza or store-bought cake or anything like that.

@Jochi one of the moderators in another thread addressed people conciously making non compliant food choices. She said if you do then you have to start over, wait until you are fully committed to the program and consider why you are doing a Whole30. She said there are no cheat days or non accidental ingestion of non compliant food. I think you will feel awesome having passed the temptation and proving to yourself that you can do it. My husband has avoided 4 carb heavy lunches and meetings at work with some of his favorite food and avoided craft beer during Basketball March Madness. You can do it.

Archived