April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

Also, today I bought a Mandoline Slicer at TJ Maxx because this weekend when I was grilling eggplant I ended up burning some (they weren't evenly cut). Problem solved! I also got a bottle so that I can start infusing my own vodka (Habanero, Jalapeño and Bacon) for post W30 bloody Marys.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

slw600,

I saw your post about fatworks and already ordered 3 jars (free shipping). I am really excited to use it and expand my cooking ability. One of my roommates is paying me for groceries from now on and is eating whatever I cook haha. I have always been an "ok" cook, but cooking everyday for the last three weeks has greatly increased my ability. So many recipes I want to try out!

Oh that is awesome!! It was really fun to go pick it up at the house. I saw a lot of bricks and jars of it about to be shipped. You ordered just in time because the free shipping is going away and introductory price is too. Duck fat is going to be announced any minute. I'll bet pork lard is next.

I have been lurking on this thread for a while since I completed my first Whole 30 at the end of March and some of my support pals migrated here. I am not 100% compliant now, I have occasional sugar and alcohol and have relaxed about seed oils a bit for convenience. I briefly tried reintroducing dairy but did not have a great experience. I haven't really tried reintroducing anything else, I guess I am in that limbo land.

I was wondering if any of you have experimented with making your own Kombucha. It is so great but so expensive it's putting me in the poorhouse!

I am just a visitor to this thread but I have just started making my own. It's very fun. I am about to bottle my second batch for flavoring. Do a search for Kombucha and you will see lots of conversations. Robin and Missmary are the experts. KombuchaKamp is a great resource. I bought my SCOBY from them.

I am so over eggs as well! I fried up sweet potatoes and spinach for a sort of hash this morning and paired them with a banana, coconut flake, and macadamia nut "granola." It ws better, but I am with you on the food boredom. It really hit yesterday (day 15) and made me super grumpy:) I also went on Pinterest and found some new recipes to try this week, which I hope will help!

For example, last week under beef we had: steak, short ribs, ground beef and stew meat. So I meant different cuts, which lend themselves to different preparation. Sometimes eating the meat in a different form makes a difference. We also had chicken thighs, whole roasted chicken, chicken breast and wings for different meals.

I was wondering if any of you have experimented with making your own Kombucha. It is so great but so expensive it's putting me in the poorhouse!

I'm making my first batch now, pretty easy! Similar to sourdough starter, if you've ever kept one of those (although this may be even easier than that). My friends all brew their own, but they like theirs sweeter than I do :) Continuous brewing sounds like the way to go for us, so long as I can keep my K loving husband away from it long enough to get to my preferred taste ;)

Last night I dreamed I was at my mum's trying to find food to eat - I ended up with ground beef!

I've found cutting out fruit since the weekend has really made things kick in to gear for me. Clearly I was still a sugar junkie.

Day 16 and I'm suffering some major food boredom. This has happened to me many times in the past at about this point in a diet. I get so tired of the "diet" food I've been eating that I can't stand another mouthful and would rather not eat anything....which inevitably leads to a sugar/carb binge and the end of the diet.

I'm especially bored with eggs for breakfast (and no, I don't want to eat leftovers for breakfast, to me that's just gross) and salads for lunch. Anyone have any ideas for something different?

I usually tell my kids not to say food other people are enjoying is "gross." :)

I'm thinking I'll continue with an AIP Whole 30 in May so I've been toying with eggless breakfasts. I really like browned ground beef over a baked sweet potato.

I also kind of think that people who come in saying, "I can't eat this, I don't want to change that," are missing out a little on the full experience. Part of the idea of the Whole 30 is changing how you eat. Maybe leftovers for breakfast sounds gross but in reality you might enjoy it. It just takes adjusting your expectations of what breakfast is.

I'm a little over cooking every night, but that is more of a lack of prep on my part. There are soooo many things you can cook. And eat and enjoy while sticking with the parameters of the W30. Maybe read over some of the logs to see what other people are eating?

We've been trying a lot of new recipes since I started the Whole 30 - lots and lots of Indian and Thai dishes are compliant - gluten free, no dairy, lots of coconut and coconut milk (yum!) - and the sauces really make things taste different and help a lot with food boredom. My sister gave us an Indian cookbook called 660 Curries that has many, many recipes that are either fully compliant already or can easily be made so - like by substituting sweet potatoes for white or coconut oil for canola - and we just skip the rice and serve it with whatever vegetables we have on hand. We usually triple recipes and freeze a lot of stuff, so we don't have to cook every day unless we want to.

I don't mind the eggs for breakfast - lately I've been poaching them and serving with leftover sweet potato curry. Sometimes I make a breakfast hash - usually sweet potatoes, onions, peppers and some ground beef, but other than that, I've been eating eggs most days.

Day 18 - who's still hanging in there?

I'm alive and kicking! I think I leveled out with my sleep, energy and hunger levels and feel better than ever. The first few days were the toughest, but the last week has felt like a breeze. I struggled for a few days with the social aspects - having a club soda while friends had a glass of wine, not partaking in the abundance of free food in my office, etc. However, once I realized that I didn't need or even want that stuff, I realized that it was a simple habit to break.

Thanks to the magic of the internet, I am still trying plenty of new Whole30 recipes and I am far from bored. This has been a GREAT April! Hope the other Whole30ers are also enjoying it! :lol:

Doing really well on Day 17 here - I can't believe I haven't craved alcohol, sweets of bread - I'm keeping fruit consumption to a minimum along with starchy vegetables and I think the lack of sugar has really helped kick the habits! In fact, I'm not even bothered by my husband sitting next to me stuffing his face with toblerone!

My only sweet treat is a mug of licorice tea.

I'm really enjoying this and I definitely think I'll continue eating the whole30 way.

I didn't say leftovers were gross in general---just that the idea is gross to ME. I pass no judgment on what other people eat. I'd appreciate it if no one passed judgment on what I do and don't want for breakfast. I'd rather eat no breakfast than eat leftovers or eggs at this point. I used to eat a granola bar for breakfast. Today I had 3 strips of organic SF bacon and half an avocado. This is big change for me. I'm doing the best I can, but leftovers is not even something I can think about without getting nauseated.

I apologize. You are completely right: We are all doing the best we can with whatever we bring to this challenge. I was joking about the gross thing but then I took it too far. Instead of critiquing I should have offered something helpful. Bravo for the changes you've made. I know I have a hard time eating dinner earlier than I'm used to, and not eating late a daily struggle for me. So--that's my WIP.

I do appreciate the fact that you used "nauseated" instead of "nauseous" in your last sentence.

Made this recipe for a pot roast today

http://everydaypaleo.com/smokey-roast/

Instead of the red onions though I did the traditional onion, carrot, celery, garlic and I added a cubed sweet potato.

SO. FREAKIN. GOOD!!!

Seriously. I was a big fan of the traditional pot roast but this one is amazing. Love it, and there is a lot left over. I'll be eating well for days. Yummo!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying on track. I'm leaving in 15 days for a trip to Boston/Ireland/ New York so I've decided to only do the 30 days not 45 like I originally planned. Last minute vacation and I want to be able to have a Guinness and not be too particular at the B&B's I'm staying in. I have definitely lost a few pounds, my stomach is flatter and my clothes are loser. I am feeling fantastic!

What about soup for breakfast? My husband gets bored very easily with eggs for breakfast, so I have to come up with different ideas. Our go to is cauliflower soup - take a head of cauliflower, chop it, cover it with stock, add an onion & chunked carrots, & cook until the veggies are tender. I then blend with an immersion blender until smooth. I then serve a mug of it with any other in protein on hand - bacon, nomnompaleo's kahula pork, or mini meatloaf balls (cooked in a muffin tin). Does that help?

Still here on day 18. Have increased my exercise routine this past week, & think I need to up my portion sizes as about 2-3hrs after eating, I'm hungry again! Still waiting for the increased energy levels (& I didn't get them at all in my last whole30), but have noticed that my energy evils throughout the day seem to be fairly consistent - no more nana naps for me :-)

Day 18 here too and the past few days have been a little difficult. The first 10 days I had plenty of energy and even excercised a little but the last week I have been feeling tired and I haven't worked out. My 19 months old have been sick and he has been very clingy. I am still breastfeeding and he has nursed more so I think that could be making me tired.

I don't think I am loosing weight now. Last week I think I was but today I noticed my face looks actually fuller. Whenever my son has been sick I usually loose weight from breastfeeding more but not this time although I haven't stepped on the scale. I had been having about one sweet potato a day because I breastfeed and I have hypothyroidism but I don't know if I should eat less starchy veggies (mainly sweet potatoe, some beets, plantain, zuchinni and jicama). I don't eat fruit and a couple of days I've eaten some almonds but I don't overeat them at all. Help?

Day14 here...feel pretty good over all. Still struggling a bit on what to eat during long bike rides-did 40 miles wed with 1 small sweet pot and a packet of apple sauce(legal). This week with everything stressful with Boston, I would surely have gone straight to popcorn, beer and chocolate-but I stayed strong! Good for me. I have been on the scale as, shamefully, that is one of many reasons why I am on this plan. Lost 4# the first week-water, I know but gained .5 back this week but overall good! My only issue is I still want sweets esp at night-brushing my teeth helps. I would love a glass of wine. I am sleeping OK but getting up 3 times to pee is killing me-I would love to stop the meds at night to sleep and have actually cut back by 50% overall. Good stuff! Don't know if my joint inflammation is any better at all-that may take a while.

My husband actually suggested buying a scale today (our house looks a bit unlived in and our bathroom is huge). All of the reading about scales on here made me veto the idea. If I really want to know how much I weigh I can pay 20p at the pharmacy down the road and use their scale.

There was something on the radio this morning about detox diets that my husband heard while he was at work today so he got to educate all the boys at work about what there is to eat when you're not eating processed foods as they couldn't imagine how they'd survive without them :)

Only 10 days left... hoping that my diarrhea resolves itself soon, but at least it's only once a day now, as opposed to after nearly every meal and/or cup of tea.

Hi All! Just checking in to see how we are all doing. Another weekend down... for those of us who started April 1, we are in the home stretch. Getting ready to run the victory lap next weekend (and just after)? Keep up the great work everyone!

I don't feel the least bit different. Haven't lost any weight or my gut. I'm frustrated. I'm on day 22 and haven't cheated at all that I know of. Except for bacon. I can't find any that don't have sugar. I also never got that "magic" feeling that everyone talks about. ANyone else in the same boat? I thought after 2 weeks that maybe it would come at 3 weeks.

Archived