April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

I am in. I did a whole 21 in March. My kids started spring break and we went on 2 trips and it got impossible, but I did the best I could while we were travelling. I really enjoyed making the changes. The first week was a bit hard cause I had no energy. But then I felt better. I mainly just want consistent energy as my kids keep me so buys. I also have joint pain and feel like it was gone during my first attempt at WHole 30 and has been back since I have fallen off the wagon. So want to experiment again.. It is a big challenge for me because I have 4 little boys and a husband that I cook for every day. They are willing to accomodate me some but probably not all the time. But, I am narrowing down social obligations so that I can focus on this.

I agree, coffee was the hardest part for me by far. I love a cup or 2 in the morning with a little milk and a tiny bit of sugar. I was drinking it black during those 3 weeks in March and it bummed me out a lot. But I will try again. May enjoy a mimosa tomorrow for Easter brunch but that will be it.

Never joined a forum before. Looking forward to the support!

Kara

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome kara! just a note re coffee (for jochi too?!) - I've been having one rather largish cup (which lasts the morning) with a couple of spoonfuls of coconut milk- it's perfectly yummy! I don't miss honey at all...

ebkimbell - NomNomPaleo has GREAT recipes, including many for slow cooker...

kara and carolJM - this has been my first experience with forums as well - everyone's been SO supportive! rather amazing really .. we're all over the world and chatting away! makes this all feel less daunting, less confusing, more purposeful, and WAY more fun!

pea - alas, so much of what you're going through is familiar .. two years ago, when my Dad's health went kerflewy, I stayed with my mother for what ended up being 7 months.. during which I did the "cooking" (which meant steamed vegetables and Amy's frozen dinners), exercise meant taking the hospital or rehab stairs instead of elevator, and taking care of myself meant taking a shower. in short, a long hard time. but as my mom always says "this too shall pass" - and indeed it did .. my dad's fully recovered! In retrospect though, I can see how the stress finally overwhelmed my own health as well.. anyway, I'm doing the autoimmune protocol too. so here we go!

Kim - I agree . I thought I loved coffee until I couldn't drink it without milk and chocolate sprinkles on top - turns out I was more about those than the coffee!

English breakfast tea on the other hand ....

Yes! Starting April 1st. I am scared of "messing up" but I spent a good deal of time at both Whole Foods and Dominick's grocery stores over the weekend and hope that I am prepared ENOUGH. Looking forward to visiting this forum and I'm so happy that you all are here for support! I am ready to change my body from the inside out!

Hillwalker, it's good to know someone understands the walk of caring for aging parents. I am really a caregiver sandwich because I care for my older son who is at home and is a disabled young adult. (He has autism and horrendous tick-borne illnesses---Lyme, bartonella, and babesia).

It's good, too, to have company on the autoimmune protocol! I miss yogurt!

I tried culturing coconut milk and it didn't set up, not even with added gelatin. i'm used to making my own dairy yogurt so I thought it would be a cinch. No such luck.

Oh, well.....

I'm starting my 2nd whole 30 as well. Did it last year about the same time. Taking the sugar out of my life wasn't that difficult, but chips and salsa is another story...I'm also thinking I have a problem with coffee.. Love about 3 cups in the morning and also like to have after a meal. My reward instead of dessert. I know it is interfering with my sleep... But don't want to give it up! I don't add anything to it though, anyone else do this? Looking forward to seeing what others do, this is my first time in a forum. Good luck everyone!

My day 1 was today, but I can do a whole 31 with you guys :-) My sister is doing it with me (unofficially). My problem is binge eating that started after a long period of low calorie dieting/overtraining. I am sure it is a familiar story to many of you. I have been battling this over a year now and have hopped from diet to diet trying to lose the weight caused by binging. It only leads to more binging and more weight gain.

I finally decided to let go of the need to lose the weight. I just want to develop a healthy relationship with food again. I had a great day today with some fantasic meals. It is the first time I have felt calm around food in ages. The kids' easter candy was easy to pass up because I had a luxurious breakfast and fabulous lunch. Hope to get to know you guys over the next 31 days

Chrisitan

I'm in for April 1st as well! This will be my third Whole30. The first one back in October was incomplete as I had a "cheat day" for my friend's wedding and also only did a whole25 (or something like that). I was totally compliant the second time in January and it felt so easy! I thought I'd do one this month since it seemed a good idea to do it quarterly.

I've found it's really easy for me being on Whole30 then when I'm "off my training wheels." Since my 2nd w30, even though I was eating well most of the time, my old binging feelings would creep in every now and then. Over time I was able to squash those feelings a little better each time but I know I felt my best whenever I was doing Whole30. So here I am!

I'm looking forward to motivating each other!

Here we go! Spicy tuna fish cakes for breakfast, leftover from dinner. They're a Nom Nom Paleo recipe and good at any time of day! Had them with some roasted veggies.

This is my second W30 but I didn't sign up to the Daily emails last time so have done it this time for a little extra motivation, in case I start getting a little over confident!

Hi guys. Now I'm starting tomorrow because I really want the daily emails and I never signed up. Ooops. Just did now.

I think it's ok because for some reason I always start new things on Tuesdays. That said, I woke up really early this morning thinking about eating. I'm nervous and excited and, also, I just really want to start quitting coffee because I'm so anxious about it. Those spicy fish cakes sound great! I love her recipes. I just always feel really envious of all of her kitchen gear (hello sous vide machine).

Hope you all have a great Day 1 and I will see you here tomorrow.

Here we go! Good luck to all.

Made some breakfast sausage last night to have with some eggs this morning. Then a trip to Fort Worth with my kiddos to go to the zoo and Central Merket to stock up on some pastures meat. That has been the hardest thing for me to find in my small town. A little nervous about what to cook for dinner since we will be gone until late this afternoon but thinking green curry. Looks quick and easy!

Good luck to everyone on this first day!!

Started today! I've been battling major cravings and emotional eating the past few months and after repeated attempts at counting calories, dieting, etc I am so hopeful for the whole 30! I know I am going to be experiencing some major carb withdraw this week but knowning this and having others to reach out to makes the whole process do-able. I went grocery shopping this weekend and did some food-prep: egg bake with kale and mushrooms, steak, roasted chicken, chicken curry, and of course got some avocados, coconut oil, sweet potatoes, and a ton of other veggies.

I've typically been a morning workout girl, but seeing as how this has not been helping my fitness recently (leading to more cortisol/stress and no weight loss) I am going to really stray from my comfort zone and back off working out all time in the morning. Especially this week when my body is getting used to the new eating I am going to try more yoga and walking and less intense morning workouts.

I'll admit it is hard not reaching for a piece of gum this morning but I'm even more determined knowing that this would be an issue for me...addicted to gum!?

I'm thinking of making it a whole40 too...something about the 40 days speaks to me...for now..one day at a time!

ak

Hello everyone -- I am starting today, too. Like many of you, April appealed to me because of the Monday start, having 30 days, and being a good way to transition to the summer. Also, I gave up eating sweets for Lent so felt like I had the sweets out of my system.

I anticipate having a hard time with no grains and no dairy like yogurt and cottage cheese. I also would eat otameal with coconut oil every morning so switching to eggs will be an adjustment. I have most of this week off since my boys are on spring break and am hoping to be able to really learn some recipes that we'll like. Looking forward to having a support system to get through this successfully!

Here we go!

I am giving up coffee for the time being. One of my issues is belly aches and I'm sure coffee doesn't help that. I will miss the habit/ritual of it, but I gave it up in January and it wasn't too bad.

Good luck, everyone.

Hello! Started today!

Breakfast was fine, same old breakfast I have been feeding myself since going sugar/gluten free in Jan, 2-3 eggs with sauteed spinach and orange slices. But this time I used coconut oil instead of butter to saute. I know I need to eat more veggies but I am not used to eating lots of veggies for breakfast...i.e. peppers, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc. I do love avocados but will prob eat them with lunch or dinner instead.

I am still reading the book and feel a little overwhelmed at the planning I need to do so I don't go crazy. I love to cook from scratch with whole foods but have always failed at planning ahead. I usually come up with my dinner plan at 4pm. :/ I need to get better at this!

My goal with my Whole30 is to gain control over sugar cravings and improve my overall mood. I can't wait to see how this all play out! :)

Nat

Starting April 1st! My daughter and I both did the Whole 30 in January, she lost 12lbs, myself 7lbs. So many wonderful changes, posted my Day 31 on the forum, looking back I have to wonder why I fell so completely off the wagon when I felt so good. Definitely need a re-start!

Hope everyone is getting on alright. Two meals down for me and I've managed to limit myself to only one cup of green tea so far today. I've been toying with the idea of giving up caffeine this month and plan to revisit the idea next week as I don't want to make too many drastic changes at once.

I'd forgotten that nothing is open on Easter Sunday here, so no coconut milk or homemade mayo today but luckily my cupboards were fairly well stocked from last week.

And my husband has helped me out by eating nearly all of the easter chocolate.

Hi guys. Now I'm starting tomorrow because I really want the daily emails and I never signed up. Ooops. Just did now.

I think it's ok because for some reason I always start new things on Tuesdays. That said, I woke up really early this morning thinking about eating. I'm nervous and excited and, also, I just really want to start quitting coffee because I'm so anxious about it. Those spicy fish cakes sound great! I love her recipes. I just always feel really envious of all of her kitchen gear (hello sous vide machine).

I know, Michelle's kitchen and appliances are amazing! Have to make do with the basics!

Hello! Started today!

Breakfast was fine, same old breakfast I have been feeding myself since going sugar/gluten free in Jan, 2-3 eggs with sauteed spinach and orange slices. But this time I used coconut oil instead of butter to saute. I know I need to eat more veggies but I am not used to eating lots of veggies for breakfast...i.e. peppers, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc. I do love avocados but will prob eat them with lunch or dinner instead.

I am still reading the book and feel a little overwhelmed at the planning I need to do so I don't go crazy. I love to cook from scratch with whole foods but have always failed at planning ahead. I usually come up with my dinner plan at 4pm. :/ I need to get better at this!

My goal with my Whole30 is to gain control over sugar cravings and improve my overall mood. I can't wait to see how this all play out! :)

Nat

It does get easier with all the planning, I promise! I used to feel like I may as well live in the kitchen but after a while it just becomes part of your routine. I found it helped planning out all my meals for the week, even breakfast. It takes a bit of time but saves a lot of stress on a day to day basis trying to figure out what to eat. Plus it means you can work out when to use dinner leftovers for lunch etc. Good luck!

LOL. I'm also only starting tomorrow. I was going to put it off until next Monday but decided this morning that if I did that I may find reasons to put it off again and again! So, tomorrow it is.

Archived