April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

So in the last week, I've let myself eat whatever I wanted in preparation for Monday. I've had ice cream, peanut butter toast, popcorn, and a candy shaped like an egg. Oh and some booze with whip cream on top. I'm in a tremendous amount of pain the last few days. My sciatica is out of control, having knee pain?, my back hurts, I'm sore basically all over with localized pain, my nerves are going crazy and I can tell a lot of the pain is that numb/tingly type pain. Even my chest feels heavy, and my allergies have bothered me more this month. Seriously if this isn't case and point to systematic inflammation, I don't know what is. Can't wait to feel better!

Wow, Jessica. Sounds like my weekend. It was Easter, and I baked traditional items -- then proceeded to eat too much. I am VERY happy to have the mentality that today is Day ! and my system will get back to normal! Here we go!!

Day 1!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! I'm brand new here, but am starting my very first Whole30 today! I've already had my coffee black, and no cheese with my eggs - it hurts! But I'm excited to reset the way I think about food and eating, and DEFINITELY looking forward to getting back into the pants I was wearing a couple of months ago. Yeah, the winter was hard for me!

So far today:

Breakfast was a banana and black coffee (I know, I'm just not a breakfast person)

Lunch was a palm-sized piece of lean beef, half an avocado, a couple of fried eggs, and two cups of broccoli. I'm stuffed!

No word on dinner yet, that's up to the boyfriend. But since he's doing this with me (thank goodness), I'm expecting chicken or fish, and roasted veggies. Then a handful of macadamia nuts for late snack, or to tide me over until dinner.

I'm jumping on board this month, too. I did my first whole 30 back in October/November, but gradually started falling back into some very bad habits (it started at Thanksgiving when I decided to have some pie, and I haven't been able to get back in line since). The sugar binges have been particularly bad. And I've been feeling kind of sluggish and under the weather. When I thought about it, I remembered how awesome I felt during most of my whole 30 (and the first couple of weeks after.) So that was enough to get me back on board. I know I can do it, as I've done it before, but I know the beginning is going to be rough sailing, with how bad my diet has been lately. Time to slay this sugar dragon for good!

So many good reasons to do this....let's all cross the finish line together!

I had a great brekkie and lunch. Breakfast was frozen organic spinach cooked in coconut oil with some curry paste and coconut milk, with some leftover cooked lamb thrown in just to heat through. The spinach got nice and porridge-y cooked in the coconut milk, so I think this might be the base of a regular breakfast for me. All I have to do is throw in some leftover cooked meat and it's done!

For lunch I made a kale salad: blanched some dino kale, which is tender and very sweet, chopped it up with some lacto-fermented ginger carrots, 1/2 avocado, onion, olive oil and vinegar and topped it with leftover roasted turkey breast. YUM.

Tonight I will probably serve the rest of the kale as a raw salad, and make more curried spinach turkey stuff, which I will serve with white rice to the rest of the family.

Good start!

Pea

I'm starting my second whole30 today along with my husband. We were doing so well, and felt great after completing the first one in Jan, but then went away to Belize for 2 weeks, where it was incredibly difficult to eat/find veggies, let alone be paleo! So we are back on the wagon today

My husband and I are starting today! We decided to do this a couple weeks ago so we've been "practicing" since then while also tryng to finish up the cereal, yogurt, etc. around the house. I've got meals planned, donated a bunch of no-no's to family yesterday, and are ready to tackle this!

We have two boys - 8 & 6. We told them that they could eat their regular breakfast & lunch, but they have to eat whatever I fix for dinner. This is nothing new to them...but some of the foods we're trying are! So far my biggest hurdle was not licking my fingers while getting their food ready in the morning! Didn't realize what a habit that was!

Breakfast - some grasses roast with a bunch of kale sautéed in ghee with some bone broth splashed in as a cup of coffee with coconut milk and virgin coconut oil.

Lunch - chopped ham mixed with roasted broccoli as a few slices of Italian oranges (fresh oranges with cracked pepper and olive oil sprinkled over)

Sounds great, I'm in!

I completed a whole30 last summer and made it halfway through a second attempt in march but blew it this weekend! I need the forum for the sake of accountability. "This is not hard..." will be my mantra. So glad you're all here:)

Hubby and I, and my 3 little girls, are starting today, April 1. We are new at this. Although we have eaten grain-free for a while as much as could.

I hope to restart my body as it has lagged in the last couple of years. Swelling, weird aches, etc.

I will miss my coffee with cream and sugar (although I used agave nectar to avoid the white stuff).

I started today! I've been toying with Paleo throughout March but on and off. Ate every bad thing that I craved yesterday & 100% ready today. I have a history of large weight losses and regains. Not so healthy relationship with food (?carb addiction?), possible diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondy. I KNOW I feel better when I eat better...I am ready to fix my food issues, feel better & get this weight off once and for all!

Had my coffee with coconut oil today - not bad! Definitely good enough not to stop me from drinking it all day, that's for sure. Biked 9 miles to the produce store and back and came back with:

inane amount of mushrooms (sale)

3 pints blackberries (sale)

fennel bulb (never tried this before!)

sour sop (also never tried)

beets

green chard

endive (never tried at home)

avocados

daikon

red onions

oranges

green onions

cilantro

The plan is to make this soon: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/46162453958/paleo-chawanmushi-savory-egg-custard and this salad: http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/fennel-and-orange-salad/

I'm in! Started today, and feeling good so far. After my 1st Whole30 in January, which was EASY for me, I was completely Whole30 compliant and breakfast and lunch but I found myself slipping into an evening snacking (mindless, not hunger-related) routine with nuts, then sunflower seeds, then popcorn and granola. Ugh. My gastrointestinal system is NOT happy. Plus, I allowed myself some dairy that made things worse.

So, I'm commiting to this convenient 30-day month to once again break my awful habits. I must add, however, for the newbies here, that I was quite skeptical (after 52 years) that a Whole30 would change my relationship with food, but it did, and in a big way. While I have strayed since my Whole30, I generally eat better than I have in my entire life - amazing!

Good luck! Looking forward to the support here - I need it.

Day 1 is cooking day for me. I've made a meat/veg/ground liver loaf and sliced it up, packed for lunches at work. With that, plus roasted lemony broccoli, a handful of cherry tomatoes and a bit of tomato paste with roasted garlic instead of ketchup - lunch looks good. Dinner tonight will be smoked, uncured ham with hot mustard, more of the tasty broccoli and a big pot of herbal tea. Yum!

I might have to up the carbs though if today's workout is any sign of things to come.

Day 1 is in the books.

B - grassfed roast with kale and beef broth. Yum. Coffee with coconut milk. 1/3 banana I shared with my 3yo :)

L - chopped ham and roasted broccoli. Oh and Italian oranges (sliced fresh oranges with cracked black pepper and olive oil on them. Yum.

D - SO DELICIOUS - two slices of frittata that had the rest of my birthday gift pastured pork chorizo, kale, sliced sweet potatoes, onions, and bell peppers, topped with roasted chipotle salsa and guacamole. Half a tiny apple.

Funny last w30 I ate little to no fruit and realized typing this out that I had fruit with each meal. Not going to be a habit :)

I am doing my Whole 30 this month! It will be hard for me since I am working a lot and the only close food for a midnight/graveyard shift is drive-thru fast food, but hopefully I will be able to pack all of my meals and stay on track. I am just sick of feeling, well, sick. And tired, with no energy.

xo, Jessica.

I started today! I've been toying with Paleo throughout March but on and off. Ate every bad thing that I craved yesterday & 100% ready today. I have a history of large weight losses and regains. Not so healthy relationship with food (?carb addiction?), possible diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondy. I KNOW I feel better when I eat better...I am ready to fix my food issues, feel better & get this weight off once and for all!

Nicole, I'm here primarily because of autoimmune issues. I've had one episode of Crohn's colitis 30 years ago, treated with azulfidine; multiple episodes of uveitis, last one 15 years ago; but I'm very much plagued with spinal arthritis that has led me to have two extensive, major operations on my spine. I REALLY hope to get the spine troubles to subside.

I hope both of us get a big boost in wellbeing from this effort.

Pea

B: curried spinach with turkey

L: kale salad with turkey

D: curried spinach with turkey, avocado; blueberries in coconut milk

Tomorrow should have a little more variety!

Pea

Day one complete!

Breakfast- homemade breakfast sausage, spinach scramble, handful grape tomatoes and an avocado. With bulletproof coffee. Kept me full to lunch.

Lunch- ate out as we made a day trip to FW. Grilled Salmon on romaine with tomatoes, cucumber and red onion. Lemon juice for dressing. Not nearly enough food. Was legitimately starving during the drive home and snacked on fresh berries and kombuchka to keep the hunger at bay.

Dinner- grilled filet with roast broccoli (evoo, s&p, lemon juice, lemon zest and pine nuts) spinach blackberry prosciutto salad, and shrimp with lemon juice. Feeling satisfied but starting to crave something sweet. Will probably make some herbal tea and hit the sack early.

Noticed a definite slump in energy this afternoon. Coincidentally around the time I normally pick my kids up from school and go get an after school snack. Hmmm...

Archived