April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

Survived Day 1! I think the trick for me is going to be to keep lots of veggies and easy-to-eat fruit on hand when the cravings hit. Also, finding creative ways to use spices in my cooking so I don't get bored.

So glad I have this support group to know I'm not alone in this! :)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lucked out so far, no crashes. If anything, had a great bike ride this morning and an awesome 1.5 hours of weights and Crossfit this afternoon. I had a huge bowl of blackberries before the workout, though, and coffee throughout the day.

I quit sugar this year and don't miss it most of the time, but now I'm going a step further. I started the whole 30 yesterday. People think I'm crazy doing it just after Easter but it's not chocolate that is my weakness, it's cheese and wine!! :o

I wish i's started this earlier, my kids are 14,13 and 9 and already love so many of the foods that aren't optimal for longevity. Although they are all active and have nest to no body fat I feel that their relationship with food is already unhealthy. When they were little, we used food as a reward. We didn't know better. My aim now is that they will see the healthy choices I make and I am educating them all the time. Just hope it's not too little too late....

Oh gosh is anyone else super nauseous this morning? It woke me up at 5am and after trying to go back to sleep, I had to get up and eat some cantaloupe. I know that may not be the best remedy but I had to do something quick. I felt very close to being physically sick.

I'm actually on Day 23 of my first whole30, but since I am intending to go on until the end of April, I piggybacked with ya'll...:)

One day done, only 29 to go! Woohoo!

Pea

Starting today. In such a bad place eating wise I can't mentally get out. Every day is a new day and I am going to take it one day, one meal at a time. In Fla on break and I have just got to get started. Have done 44 before and know its possible. So here goes! I Will Not Eat Bunny Cake today!!!!

First Whole30 breakfast....two eggs scrambled with baby spinach and grape tomatoes cooked in coconut oil. I'm not a big breakfast eater and meat and eggs aren't my favorite, so this was a big step for me.

Don't be afraid to embrace non-traditional breakfast foods. I get pretty tired of eggs so most times I just eat leftovers. Ain't nothing wrong with that!

Oh gosh is anyone else super nauseous this morning? It woke me up at 5am and after trying to go back to sleep, I had to get up and eat some cantaloupe. I know that may not be the best remedy but I had to do something quick. I felt very close to being physically sick.

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon.

First Whole30 breakfast....two eggs scrambled with baby spinach and grape tomatoes cooked in coconut oil. I'm not a big breakfast eater and meat and eggs aren't my favorite, so this was a big step for me.

Don't be afraid to embrace non-traditional breakfast foods. I get pretty tired of eggs so most times I just eat leftovers. Ain't nothing wrong with that!

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon.

Nicole, I'm here primarily because of autoimmune issues. I've had one episode of Crohn's colitis 30 years ago, treated with azulfidine; multiple episodes of uveitis, last one 15 years ago; but I'm very much plagued with spinal arthritis that has led me to have two extensive, major operations on my spine. I REALLY hope to get the spine troubles to subside.

I hope both of us get a big boost in wellbeing from this effort.

Pea

Good to hear from you...I am in the throws of frequent uveitis--last bout in late February--ususally once a month but I think eating well in march may have helped. I am trying to avoid any aggressive treatment (surgeries). I am hoping I am young enough to do some good with diet. AND I have about 50 lbs to lose but trying not too focus too much on that! Good luck to you!

I felt a little naseous this morning, but I think it was because I waited too long to eat breakfast. I feel better now.

For those who have kids, you have to get a spiralizer. My 8yo gobbled up the sprialized zucchini I made last night. I've never seen a kid eat zucchini like that! He liked it plain and when I put marinara and meatballs on it. I made real past for the family, but probably could have skipped it.

WendyB - I'm with you. My kids are good eaters and super active, but I know they eat way too much sugar and rely too much on bread sandwiches. I wish we'd never started the dessert habit because it will be hard to break.

I'm in! Started today, and feeling good so far. After my 1st Whole30 in January, which was EASY for me, I was completely Whole30 compliant and breakfast and lunch but I found myself slipping into an evening snacking (mindless, not hunger-related) routine with nuts, then sunflower seeds, then popcorn and granola. Ugh. My gastrointestinal system is NOT happy. Plus, I allowed myself some dairy that made things worse.

So, I'm commiting to this convenient 30-day month to once again break my awful habits. I must add, however, for the newbies here, that I was quite skeptical (after 52 years) that a Whole30 would change my relationship with food, but it did, and in a big way. While I have strayed since my Whole30, I generally eat better than I have in my entire life - amazing!

Good luck! Looking forward to the support here - I need it.

I love that you have The Boss as your picture. I am a HUGE fan as well. Seeing your post, his face...TOTALLY INSPIRING.

I started yesterday and felt HORRIBLE at the end of the day. So weak. I stuck to it without cheating though, so Day 1, over and done with (this is my first Whole 30). Today I feel a little "flu-like" which the book says is common. I am not liking it, but plan on sticking with it. The inspiration of these posts certainly help.

Here's to Day 2 and The Boss (doing the E Street Shuffle 'til lunch)!

Meg B - Chicago

What I mean when I say I don't like eggs or meat for breakfast is that I don't like heavy food for breakfast. (I think this is what a lot of us breakfast-haters mean, which is why the suggestion to eat leftovers isn't real helpful.) I managed eggs with proscuitto, spinach and tomatoes this morning.

We usually eat sweet potatoes for breakfast - which is nice if you used to be a hot cereal person. We grate a sweet potato, mix it with few eggs, and maybe some onions or other vegetables, and fry it all in a little coconut oil - you get protein from the eggs, but it doesn't feel heavy to me like plain fried eggs or a bunch of meat does, and you can add different spices or toppings so you don't get tired of it - we used a homemade spicey chutney this morning. Summer squashes or root vegetables also work well. Reheats well, and also good cold.

OMG I'm getting the Hangover - as stated in http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

And I made the mistake of eating a bunch of CRAP the week before. I tried to ween myself off unsuccessfully so I ended up just going cold turkey yesterday. I had three scrambled eggs for breakfast and a banana. Then an apple and almonds for a snack. I have to go out for a work lunch today but have looked at the menu and picked out my food. According to the timeline, I just have to get through this week and then I will be ok...I should have taken the week off of work so I could hibernate!

I started the Whole30 yesterday with my husband. I did 3.5 strict paleo in Nov/Dec and felt great overall. I attempted to do a 60 paleo challenge in Jan/Feb but failed miserably... I decided to read It Starts with Food after that so I could more understand the whys behind what we do and don't eat so I could be more aware. So here I am 2 days in. I don't have the desire to eat anything not allowed however I have had a constant headache and an overall desire to sleep since yesterday afternoon (day 1). Do the headaches and exhaustion start this early? Trying to figure out if I am sick or this is just part of the process.

And I'm off an running!! Breakfast is down on day 1 for me. I made a huge slow cooker pot last night with some beef cubes, turnips, radishes, sweet potato, carrots, bell pepper and jalapeno. It turned out wonderfully. I had a bowl of that with a small mandarin for breakfast. I started the day with a cup of mandarin herbal tea.

I am fighting with my head this morning. Huge mind games going on :huh:. I'm hungry and craving coffee LOL. I WILL power through it though. Lunch in 2 hours!!

My entire house has been hit with a tummy bug. Not fun, but I figure I'm probably going to feel pretty crappy this week from withdrawl etc that I may as well combine it with a tummy bug. :lol:

What I mean when I say I don't like eggs or meat for breakfast is that I don't like heavy food for breakfast. (I think this is what a lot of us breakfast-haters mean, which is why the suggestion to eat leftovers isn't real helpful.) I managed eggs with proscuitto, spinach and tomatoes this morning.

Have you tried soft boiled eggs or poached eggs? I find them to be a lot less heavy than fried eggs or omelette.

Amy, have you seen the timeline? it's linked in the post right before yours. Short answer is yes, but the timeline is much more comprehensive.

I am in! Just started today after being out of town for Easter and getting a little too carried away with the carbs! I went to the store yesterday but didn't have a lot of time to prepare anything for today so I spent my morning scrambling! Luckily, I bought some items that didn't require a lot of prep...Trader Joe's hard-boiled, peeled, cage-free eggs, Applegate Farms roast beef, cucumber, and my absolute favorite...avocado! The only thing I am really missing today is my daily Diet Coke but I think that's just out of habit. I am looking forward to seeing the changing in my health over the next 30 days, especially my RA.

Good luck everyone!

I planned to start yesterday, April 1st, but lo and behold it is past and I am starting today. So, I will end on May 1st, instead. Spring break is now over and I need to get back into my teaching routine, so here goes! I am so happy to see so many other people completing the Whole 30 in April as well.

Day 2 is fun so far. I woke up before my alarm with piles of energy so I clarified some butter and made hollandaise sauce, then roasted asparagus and mushrooms, added the egg whites and a spare egg, and ate the whole mess with sauce on top. I felt great enough to do a lunch-hour walk and stair climb through the river valley with a co-worker. I think I got her interested in this whole Paleo thing ;)

Now, nomming my meat/veg/liver loaf and trying to get some work done... sort of. :)

Hello! I am brand new to this, but committed to the Whole 30 on April 1st. I need this badly. Need to get off my diet Pepsi addiction. Need to stop eating constant junk food, fast food, sweets, chips, etc, etc. Need to lose 50 pounds. Need to get more active (without my knees and hips killing me!). Need to be a better example to my 3 kids.

So, I'm most of the way through day 2 and so far, so good. I made a delicious pot of Paleo chili in the crock pot for supper and just received my "It Starts With Food" book today! Can't wait to get into the book and find some more awesome recipes. Thank you for letting me join you!

I started the Whole30 yesterday with my husband. I did 3.5 strict paleo in Nov/Dec and felt great overall. I attempted to do a 60 paleo challenge in Jan/Feb but failed miserably... I decided to read It Starts with Food after that so I could more understand the whys behind what we do and don't eat so I could be more aware. So here I am 2 days in. I don't have the desire to eat anything not allowed however I have had a constant headache and an overall desire to sleep since yesterday afternoon (day 1). Do the headaches and exhaustion start this early? Trying to figure out if I am sick or this is just part of the process.

This is my second Whole 30 and I've been feeling a little off today, which I don't remember happening last time. I've generally been sticking to a Paleo diet but did have a bit of a chocolate fest on Sunday before starting on April 1. I'm not sure if its sugar withdrawal or I'm just run down generally after a busy week last week. Either way I'm sure we'll feel better soon!

Just read the timeline post. LOL! I totally expect some detox symptoms, since my pre-Whole 30 diet was about as bad as it could get. I have been exhausted the past 2 days, but I think it's been because of a lack of sleep and the fact that I was off work last week, so the first week back to work is always hard. So far no headaches or other symptoms... I am still drinking my black coffee. Thank GOD I don't have to give that up!! :)

Welcome, Maxyne! We are in this boat together (first timers!)! Looking forward to hearing how all the rest of you are doing and what you are all eating.

Hi all, the husband and i started our whole30 yesterday. we lived paleo about a year and a half ago and really enjoyed it. we then had a major family tradgedy that has really been stressful and hung on until a few weeks ago. I would say that things have been getting better, but really feel like we have turned a corner these past few weeks.

so looking at the calendar and deciding that we have been slowly killing ourselves with our food choices, we have decided that to kick-off our eating paleo once again we are going to do a whole30, i would really like to do a 60 and might, my birthday is the beginning of may but who cares? my favorite meal is steaks, potato and salad, that sounds pretty compliant :).

anyway day two (after eating everything i could over the weekend)

b: two eggs (from my chickens), handful of spinach, diced pepper scrambled in ghee, strawberries

l: lettuce, spinach, ham, boiled egg with a lemon and olive oil dressing, clementine

d: meat sauce made with grass fed ground beef, homemade hot italian dressing, tomato sauce, organic paste and home canned tomatoes, over spaghetti squash and a green salad

i know these items are paleo okay are they whole30 compliant as well?

thanks for your help, looking forward to the support from the group. not feeling well think i have the carb-flu

Archived