Starting Whole 30 July 1

Adagio

Hi, I'm going start Whole 30 on July 1. Sorry that this is a long post, but I felt I had to start somewhere.

It Starts With Food was a great read, probably the best book out of all the Paleo eating books. I listened to Jimmy Moore's podcast with Melissa and Dallas, and I resonated with a lot of things they said. I really need this challenge to get back on track.

In 2009, I learned that I was gluten/casein intolerant. I started eating Paleo-ish soon after, but have frequently succumbed to the gluten-free junk food gremlins, and I haven't yet given up dairy 100%.

I was a skinny kid and teenager, but I've been overweight my entire adult life. I have a lot of weight to lose. I am hoping to jump start that during Whole 30 and beyond. I am sure that I have Metabolic Syndrome and inflammation from years of eating fake food, low-fat/high-carb dieting, and repeatedly losing and gaining weight.

I have arthritis in various places so I'm not plunging into HIIT immediately. I've tried many different types of exercise with varying results, and for now, walking and recumbent bike will do. I'm planning to have a daily, 30-minute minimum go at the treadmill and bike. As you can see from my avatar, I love ballet, but haven't done it since I was a (skinny) child. I have a ballet conditioning workout DVD which I plan to try - perhaps once a week to start.

My challenges: an extremely tight budget right now, finding motivation to get out of the chair for exercise, and giving up heavy cream in my morning coffee. I have a sensitivity to most seafood, and I rarely eat it except for wild-caught halibut - which is out of our price range right now.

I have a slim, athletic husband and he is totally on board with me doing this, but he isn't joining me in the challenge, so along with Whole 30 compliant foods, I will be cooking rice and gluten-free pasta for him. He wants to stop eating sugar, so that is really an advantage for me.

My other advantages: We have been eating fairly "clean" for many years, so reading labels and eating good-quality food is routine now. We eat organic produce, grassfed beef, pastured chicken/eggs, and pastured pork about 90% of the time, and we rarely go out to dinner anymore. I'm fortunate to have several Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's nearby, plus a decent Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

I don't have any plans to quit Whole 30 after the end of July. My plan is to stay on it for life, at least 90% of the time because I've done quite a bit of research, and I've decided that this way of eating is the healthiest for me.

My hope for the Whole 30 challenge is that I can start shedding pounds and begin to reduce arthritis pain.

Archived