Managing Social Events

theya

Ok, I am only on Day 1 of my whole 30, but I have attempted them in the past and never succeeded due to my complete loss of resolve during social situations. I am totally a social eater and drinker and seem to be unable to manage peer pressure (what am I 15?!...not even close). I follow a mostly Paleo diet but am very attached to the old 80/20 rule. I know what to do, I just don't always do it.

I have just come home from a vacation where I went way off the rails (Margaritas and Mexican anyone?) to find my weight way up, my hemorrhoids blazing (sorry for the TMI) and lack of motivation in high gear. I decided to start a Whole 30 right away (why wait?) but I have lots of social events coming up in the next few weeks (houseguests, anniversary, Easter, birthday parties...) and I'm anticipating lack of resolve. I would love to hear some of your strategies for navigating such situation with grace and keeping your motivation intact.

Plan, plan, plan, and take a no excuses approach.

My tactics are:

1. Eat before you go

2. Bring a compliant appetizer/dish to share

3. Soda water looks remarkably like a cocktail

4. Focus on the socialization and not what is in your hand or your mouth

I find that I like to plan what I am going to eat, say, do in advance and that helps calm me down from the anxiety of worrying about what to do.

You can TOTALLY do this. I resisted free champagne and cupcakes last night at an alumni event for women. Then, Chick-fil-a nuggets and sodas at a board meeting. Because I was full from my dinner (spicy grilled chicken and chipotle roasted sweet potatoes), I didn't even feel the urge.

Good luck - I think you can do it!

If you resolve to be defeated before you start....you will be defeated... Take no prisoners!!! It's VERY empowering to set a goal and succeed...

Make a plan of attack, implement your plan, adapt when needed, and just don't give yourself any excuses .... You can do it....

If you learn to associate those off-plan foods as the source of your symptoms it can make avoiding them easier. Unfortunately our society has chosen to elevate the least health promoting foods to celebratory status- and that's just plain wrong. Fight that status quo- be a rebel and take pride and satisfaction in saying no thank you.

Be a gracious guest, feign pickiness, claim "allergies" and if people start pressuring you trot out an anecdote about your raging hemorrhoids- that'll shut em up quick!

Obviously be well fed prior to the events. And bring your own compliant foods- I went to decently fancy wedding reception a couple weeks ago and stocked our table with coconut water, Kombucha, date rolls and Lara bars- not a single person seemed to notice or care. My family and real friends are curious and super supportive but they also know I'm stubborn as a goat and no use to argue.

You can do it!

I may just trot out the raging hemorrhoid story, you're right that will shut them right up! lol What a great idea to bring your own stuff to a wedding! I would have never had the guts to do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Lol ..... That's post avant garde punk band I want to start.... " the raging Hemorrhoids" .... Imagine the t-shirt logo!!!!

Here we go again- wasn't it your idea to name a band "intestinal mucous" on one of my other posts?

I totally agree with what everyone else says about eating before you go, etc. Also: if people try to push food on you, there are 3 words that will give you superpowers in social events: "No, thank you." And then you change the topic to something food-unrelated to the person doesn't start quizzing you on why not.

Just remind yourself that you're an adult and you can eat whatever you want and you're choosing not to eat cake (or whatever). It doesn't matter why or why not. You choose not to eat it and everyone else needs to respect that, because that's how adults treat other adults. If you try to justify, people will argue with you. Just say no thank you and change the subject.

I'm going to a family dinner tonight (my boyfriend's sister's boyfriend's family, haha), where they are making chicken enchiladas and salad, and my boyfriend's sister talked to them and they said it was no trouble to leave some salad undressed and some chicken on the side, not cooked with vegetable oil... But I'm nervous. I'm nervous to be so demanding, and nervous that there will be a miscommunication and I'll be stuck in a situation where there's nothing for me to eat, or that I accidentally eat something non-compliant.

I completely feel the eating before you go thing, but I'm going to try to trust them when they say it's no problem to leave some undressed chicken and salad for me...

Maybe I'll try to bring an appetizer or other side I can eat to share...

Archived