It's been 3 weeks and I've seen NO CHANGE =(

privas13

I havent cheated once, and have been following Whole30 to a tee! I had eliminated grains and dairy fro the most part before whole30 so I don't feel a huge change in terms of energy and what not (I have a good amount of energy per day) but I haven't been experiencing the "my clothes fit better!" I look exactly the same. I haven't weighed myself (because I don't care about that number, I care about bodyfat%) or taken my bodyfat% but I did measure myself 2 days ago out of curiousity. breaking the rules I know. But my measurements are ALL THE SAME. I don't get it.

I started whole30 because I have been skinny fat my entire life. I am 5'3, 120 lbs but 26% body fat. I lift 2-3x a week and make sure they are heavy and challening weights. I also run 3-4x a week. If I don't lose any body fat eating 100% CLEAN I'm not sure how else I would be able to lose it.

It's just frustrating for me...has anyone else experienced this?

The reality is, the whole30 is a program designed to get your body optimally healthy. If you are pretty healthy to begin with, then, well, changes are going to be pretty subtle.

You consider yourself "skinny fat" but you also give a body fat percentage of 26%. You are female, correct? 26% is NOT skinny fat (26% is considered quite healthy, with 25% being in the "athlete" category), so something is off in either the BF calculation or perhaps in your perception. If you are actually trying to nudge your body fat down below what is healthy for your body, it's going to be a long road (much longer than 3 weeks) and will not likely lead to optimal health. I would give that some thought.

All that said, if body recomp is your goal I would drop the running completly and eat a lot more (especially protein).

• Moderators

One of the owners of my gym is hot. LIke real hot. :) We measured our body fat the same day several years ago. I was 9 percent and she was 27 percent. She was pissed. I thought it was ironic that she was so hot and fit, but pissed about her number. I was shocked about my number. I figured something must be wrong because 9 percent meant that I had lost something like 17 percent of my body fat in 2 months. I enjoyed the $300 or $400 I won in the competition at my CrossFit gym that year, but I was still shocked.

W30 will insure you are getting healthy, proper macro and micro nutrients,sleep, gut health,hormonal health, etc....

You should be feeling pretty darn good by now

IMO Time to do a 180 as far as workouts go..... Sprint, don't run.... 10x 100 yd dash all out, or line drills,or HIIT once or twice max per week

2-3 days per week do weights but do Meta-con.... 12 burpees,12 pushups, 12 squat jumps, 12 pull-ups ( or whatever) no rest full out... 30 seconds rest then 10-10-10-10, 8-8-8-8,6-6-6-6,4-4-4-4,2-2-2-2..... Or PAP :heavy Deadlifts into box jumps....squats into kettlebell swings

The goal is to warm up, then blitz all out for 1-2 min, short rest...blitz...short rest. 20-30 min then cool down

Preform complex body weight movements as much as possible, You don't need to go heavy And get injured... Just challenge your max heart rate and your recoup time..... The faster you recoup, the fitter you are.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the replies! Yes I am female. I am a personal trainer and from the stuff we have learned, 26% is not optimal for a female my age and height. This Livestrong article states that 26% is a little bit higher than acceptable, and up to 22% is "healthy" http://www.livestrong.com/article/134363-the-normal-percentage-body-fat-women/

In terms of the running, I am actually training for a half marathon. Yes, I know this isn't the best thing and I know lifting and HIIT is way better, but I have already committed to this. However, before this training started I WAS lifting and doing intervals regularly, and still no change. My BF hasn't changed in years...I legit look like I have a pot belly and I'm just not sure why! Every where else on my body is fine.

I have been eating more protein and fats than I have ever been thanks to Whole30...and I do feel great in terms of energy levels and cravings. I just wish I knew why it is so hard for my to lose any bodyfat at all, especially when I'm eating perfectly. Isn't the saying 90%diet 10% exercise?

If by the end of Whole30 there is no change I have considered going to a doctor to see if my hormone levels are ok.

Here is an example of my meals, if someone could let me know if they are ok?

Day 8

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs, cashews

Meal 2: salad with ground turkey and tomato sauce + grapes

Meal 3: one egg

Meal 4: chicken with sweet potato, tomato sauce with peppers, onions and crushed tomatoes

Day 9

Meal 1: three egg omelette with mushroom, 1/2 avocado

Meal 2: apple with almond butter

Meal 3: salad with tuna, 1/2 avocado

Meal 4: hard boiled egg, banana (thought I was going to have my long run this day but it was cancelled)

Meal 5: wild caught salmon with sweet potato

thank you so much to all of you for your help!

ok, there are lots of sources out there to tell you what body fat percentage is "healthy." You just picked the one that has a pretty low range...and that's totally your call and your choice, you just might find out that 22% it too low for you once you get there.

With your further description I'm even more convinced that chronic cardio is playing a big part in this (cortisol, etc.), so you may find better results once you've met your half-marathon goal and moved on.

In the meantime, play around with the meal template a little more: more veggies, more protein, less fruit and nuts/nut butters might help.

Ok, do for reference I plugged some body measurements into an online calculator (I know not the most reliable) and got that I am 30% body fat which is considered OBESE. I'm a size 8 and 5'6". Seriously?! Now I'm having a stress attack over this stupid number when just this morning I was feeling triumphant about my health and feeling like I looked great. I'm glad I did this- even though I'm now having to shake off some pretty negative numbers and percentages- it just can't be the thing that defines me or my success. I can totally sympathize with how disappointed you must be feeling but I can assure you w30 will improve your health.

And anyways- who does Lance Armstrong think he is telling ANYONE what is or is not acceptable?!

Also, trainer, you're simply not eating enough, especially for someone who works out that hard and is possibly of child-bearing age. Also, training for a half, you're not going to lose anything. That's pretty well known.

Finally, I'd really, really, really like to look like you! ;)

Also, training for a half, you're not going to lose anything. That's pretty well known.

What!?

Oh. Crap.

I guess that would explain why I never lost any while training for previous halves. However, like OP, I am signed up and planning for one in 5 weeks or so (another round of "oh! crap! 5 weeks!)...I've technically finished my whole30, and have been debating about staying on through the race. I've read some good results in the whole30 for athletes section, so I'm trying to switch the focus from weight (which I know I shouldn't be focusing on) to health and performance (which is where I should be focused anyway).

Also, I read somewhere - I think on the athlete's thread again - that training at a lower rate will help - check out the topic W30 before or after marathon for more details.

Ohhh.... So finish up your half training and focus on how you feel.

IMO your not eating enough....especially vegetables.... I made it a point to eat at least two cups cooked various non starchy veg each and every meal. I also layed off the fruit and nuts .... Resulted in me getting shredded.....

I would try adding 50% more protein and fat and eating a ton of leafy veg in addition to starchy veg and see how it goes for a couple of weeks... Certainly couldn't hurt at this point seeming that you are stuck.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results." Eat more. :)

Hmmmm.... I used to run and tons of fat and weight melted off pretty easily...a little confused about the training comment above. I also became unhealthy, "over trained" and found myself with a tiny body and a giant potbelly. In my case, I was undernourished. Once I began eating properly, but primarily eating enough, my hips came back (muscle/fat) and my potbelly went bye-bye. I went from looking like a malnourished runner to a healthy hourglass female; two totally different body types, by scaling back on the exercise and providing proper fuel. It's a balancing act, but if you obsess about it, you'll end up having to balance a lot more than your body size. Choose foods wisely and be active when you have the energy.

So many of the women here have gorgeous and glowing faces - if you're worried about appearance, from what I see, you all have it nailed. Imagine mirrors and scales don't exists – if you feel great, then you're doing it right.

Thanks so much again to all who responded.

I guess I DO need to eat more, it's just hard for me because I don't know what more I could possibly eat especially if I cut out fruits and nut butters! I will have to do some research for some easy recipes for meals between breakfast, lunch and dinner, instead of having a snack like just an egg, or an apple with almond butter.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it! Or if anyone who is an athlete has a meal plan they can share with me, I'd love that too.

thanks again everyone!

Prewo: 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado , coffee with 1/3 can coconut milk

Post WO : 6oz chic breast, large sweet potato

Meal one: 3-4 eggs, 4 oz compliant sausage,1 avocado,cauliflower,kale,zucchini ( all made into omelet or scramble). Large sweet potato

Meal two: 10-12 oz steak , carrots,spinach, 1 avocado, 1/2 apple, coffee with 1/3 can coconut milk

Meal three: 10-12 oz salmon, brussel sprouts, large salad various leafy greens and tomato

Meal four: ... Only if I work a very long day or train full contact kickboxing at night.... Same idea as above

Ok I'm a big guy but my standard workout only lasts 35-45 min, intense but done...

But you can see that veg plays a big role and all veg are cooked in plenty of coconut oil/ olive oil/ good render pork fat/ duck fat....

Adjust as your requirements need....

I second Fenderbender--lots of veggies here too! At least 2 cups a meal is a standard here and at least 1/2 an avocado a day. I have totally nixed veg, nuts and nut butters from my diet--other than a sprinkling of blue berries in a salad perhaps a T or 2 of chopped nuts in a salad or perhaps in Sunshine sauce--but never alone anymore.

Archived