Making Kimchi is on my to do list

Tom Denham

A friend of mine just posted a video about Kimchi making. The lady in it uses pineapple instead of sugar to sweeten it slightly. I had never thought of this, but perhaps it would be of some use to you! I plan to make some cucumber and daikon kimchi in the next few weeks.

I'd like to try it too.

I'm going to try this one: http://www.davidlebo...imchi-revisite/

We should all report back with our results! I probably won't make mine till next week.

ETA: Hmm. I was looking at a different kimchi recipe on the same site earlier. The one linked above includes Korean chili paste. No idea if I can find a compliant version so I prob will use a diff recipe. I know the Thai chili paste (sambal olek) I usually use contains a sulfite preservative.

I have been making Kimchi for about 4 years. Left my Korean friend and Kimchi-maker when I moved from Florida. This recipe and process is very similar to what she made. http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/UltimateKimchi.html#pageToc0 It does not involve any sugar and is delicious. :) I leave out the sesame seeds(not a fan)and use regular crushed red pepper.

Also, this recipe is delicious from the moment you make it. No waiting for four days. The flavor changes as the days go by.

I don't think I have seen kimchi made with citrus fruit. Not sure I welcome citrus. :) What does it add to the flavor and texture?

Orange, and or lemon add a bright note. The apple is a nice sweet crunch. I usually only put half of each and slice very thin slivers equivalent to about a tenth of half an orange segment. I went to the Philippines in 2011 and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Kimchi they served at the resort where we stayed was incredibly similar to this recipe.

• 3 years later...

Archived