Faymao's Whole Thirty Log

faymao

So, this isn't about weight loss at all. This is about optimal health. My husband and I are going to be trying to have a baby in a couple of months, and I owe it to any child of mine to make sure I give them the best start in life.

My Whole30 starts on March 25. This weekend I will be cooking and freezing a lot of food so that I can make good choices.

I bought a tonne of food today:

• a grass-fed sirloin tip roast
  • beef bones
  • lots of extra-lean ground beef (it was on sale)
  • chicken thighs
  • chicken drumsticks
  • ground turkey
  • an apple
  • red peppers
  • yellow peppers
  • poblano peppers
  • jalapeno peppers
  • onions
  • lemons
  • lime
  • butternut squash
  • carrots
  • celery
  • parsley
  • zucchini
  • baby spinach
  • baby kale
  • pickles
  • capers
  • sauerkraut
  • coconut water

March 25, 2013

Last night I got about 8 hours of sleep.

Meal 1

3 eggs (I actually checked to see how many I could hold in my hand.)

2 huge handfuls of spinach

a thumb of ghee

a garlic clove

Meal 2

soup made with homemade bone broth, ground beef, zucchini, and red peppers

Meal 3

slow-cooker loin tip roast

5 cups of baby kale with a homemade lemon-olive vinaigrette. (I was generous with the olive oil)

I was craving all kinds of sugar. I wanted it so bad.

Last night I got eight hours of sleep.

March 26, 2013 (Yesterday)

Meal 1

2 boiled eggs

boatload of spinach with garlic fried in ghee

Meal 2

Big spinach salad with 2 hardboiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, black olives, and carrots with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Meal 3

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/02/pulled-roast-beef-with-scalloped-turnips/ with a side of sauerkraut. Oh God, it was good.

Went to bed earlier than usual, but slept horribly. Woke up at 12:30 and 4:30, and then got up at 6:30.

Got eight uneasy hours of sleep last night. (See prior post.)

March 27, 2013

Meal 1: Ground Turkey with Pink Lady Apple and a sweet potato

Meal 2: Beef soup - this time I followed the instructions and added avocado, lime, and red onion when I served it, and OMG.

Meal 3: Baked Salmon with compliant mustard, dill, salt and pepper, and a side of sautéed spinach & mushrooms with garlic. Had 'dessert': a handful of strawberries with lime juice and a splash of coconut water. Split a can of coconut water with the husband.

Making this: http://www.wholelife...-wilted-greens/ for tomorrow.

March 28, 2013

I got a little less than eight hours of sleep.

Meal 1 - Ground turkey with apple with nutmeg and cinnamon, and sautéed spinach in ghee. Around 8am

Half calf brewed coffee

Meal 2 - Leftover beef & turnips with sauerkraut - oh yeah. Around 3pm

Meal 3 - Beef brone broth soup (same as before) with avocado (a whole one), lime, and red onion. Around 8:45pm.

I really screwed up my timing because it was my late shift at work, and month end, and we were short-staffed and completely smoked. For the first time in my memory, I didn't get a chance to take a lunch. I ate through my lunch. As a result, I'm exhausted from the effort of the day, and from not refueling as I should have. I'm going to wait until 11 to go to bed so that meal 3 doesn't give me any problems sleeping. Since tomorrow is a holiday, I will adjust my alarm to make sure I get a little over 8 hours sleep.

March 29

Slept in until nine a.m. to get the best sleep possible. Got up, made breakfast.

Meal 1 - 2 fried eggs, some sauteéd spinach, and pan-fried tomatoes. I could eat pan-fried tomatoes every day.

Meal 2 - Chipotle Chicken à la Tom Denham (http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/03/chipotle-chicken-peppers-and-onions-in-coconut-milk-over-wilted-greens/)

Meal 3 - Striploin steak with Butternut Squash tossed in coconut oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The squash felt like cheating. It was delicious.

March 30

I slept in. It felt good.

Meal 1 - cooked by hubby - 2 fried eggs, mixed baby 'awesome' greens (kale, collard, mustard, spinach, etc) with shallots & garlic in ghee and olive oil

Meal 2 - Got caught out of the house. Went to a place we know has a complaint salad bar - and it was closed for the day! What to do? We kept our heads and went to a local burrito place that makes its own sauces. Had a 'taco salad' - slow-cooked beef, guacamole, salsa fresca, pineapple/mango salsa, and hot sauce (all compliant). The guacamole was almost a dressing, and it worked. We were full, and the girl behind the counter didn't even bat an eye when we were asking about ingredients.

Meal 3 - More Tom Denham's chicken, but I added riced cauliflower to soak up some sauce. Hubby loved that--he'd been missing 'soak up the sauce' food implements like bread and rice.

How was Tom's chipotle chicken? It has caught my eye as something I would take to holiday potluck at my husbands family- they are part Mexican (their cooking is the New Mexico style and I'm Caucasian so I have to try extra hard). Would this dish go over well IYO?

Oh my goodness, Moluv, it was so good. I deviated from the recipe in that I don't like butchering my own poultry (I'll learn eventually), so I bought just thighs and drumsticks (skin on, but the thighs were boneless because they were on sale). For the record, I usually don't even eat dark meat because I hate the texture, but this was great!

I made it to recipe, but the second time we ate it I added hot sauce and a squeeze of lime juice, which made it much more Mexican. Hubby added avocado and swore by it. The coconut milk makes it pretty un-mexican, but it's still delicious. I also grated up some cauliflower rice, and it was good.

If you're going to take it to your family's house, make it about two days in advance. The chicken gets softer the longer it sits in the sauce. Then just reheat it, cook your greens, and enjoy!

March 31

Meal 1 - Eggs & spinach & tomatoes. Yum.

Meal 2 - Went out for lunch. Salmon over veggies with pineapple salsa (all compliant). Side order of wings for some fat (totally compliant thanks to a super-attentive kitchen manager. Side note: If you go to Turtle Jack's when they're slow, they'll offer to bake things instead of frying them so you have control over the oils. It takes longer, but it was certainly appreciated.)

Meal 3 - Hubby made blackened chicken, and we ate it with a salad.

For anyone wondering, salad is basically my favourite food and always has been. I almost always have made it with my family's homemade vinaigrette recipe - olive oil, lemon, granulated garlic, and pepper. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

April 1

Meal 1 - Eggs & sauteed tomatoes, along with some kale sauteed in a little fresh-squeezed orange juice. Very tasty.

Meal 2 - Two sole fillets dipped lightly in coconut flour, salt, and pepper (very lightly dipped), pan-fried in coconut oil and dashed with lime juice. Served with a delicious salad.

Meal 3 - The last of Tom's Chipotle Chicken, with greens and caulifower rice.

April 2 - Day Nine!

Meal 1 - Eggs & spinach (I love routine)

Meal 2 - I packed myself a great lunch - salad, boiled eggs, and avocado in lemon juice (delish)

Meal 3 - Steak & Salad

April 3 - Day 10 - 33.3333333333% of the way through

Meal 1 - 2 Boiled eggs and some wilted spinach with dressing

Meal 2 - 2 Boiled eggs with a huge salad from a nearby salad bar - spinach & spring mix with strawberries, mango, kiwi, cucumber and carrots.

Meal 3 - Pork chops and proscuitto-wrapped asparagus.

We ran out of food today, and this is what I put together on the fly. It's not nearly enough food.

April 4 - The birthday of a late friend. Stressful week, still.

Meal 1 - Eggs & spinach

Meal 2 - Same salad as yesterday. Yum,

Meal 3 - Pot Roast with a big salad.

I need to vary my vegetables.

April 5

Meal 1 - Eggs and Spinach. Yum. Thank goodness I'm a creature of habit.

Meal 2 - Ground pork with zucchini and tomato, topped with guacamole.

Meal 3 - Baked Salmon with a half a sweet potato.

Went to visit my parents overnight. Slept like a baby.

April 06

Meal 1 - Spinach & Eggs. Fed some to Mom. She thought it was fattening.

Meal 2 - Leftover ground pork with zucchini and tomato & guac.

Meal 3 - Prepared by my dad, who was a saint with compliance. Simple pork roast with salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika. Served with olive-oil tossed roasted potatoes with herbs and olive-oil-tossed roasted asparagus.

I feel good.

April 07

Woke hubby up with breakfast in bed. No one had ever made it for him before!

Meal 1 - Eggs & spinach (with prosciutto in the spinach and paprika on the eggs--a change from routine!)

Meal 2 - Leftover roast beef with raw peppers and guacamole.

Meal 3 - Chicken Wings & Salad. (All homemade.)

April 08 - the completion of this day marks the halfway point! Go me!

Meal 1 - Eggs & Spinach

Meal 2 - Forgot my lunch at home. Went to a local restaurant where they know me a little bit. They made me grilled shrimp and calamari over tomatoes, capers, and black olives, all tossed in olive oil on a bed of arugula. Had a side salad. Asked for just olive oil and balsamic on the side, and the waitress said, "Dressing on the side", and I corrected her and said, "No just olive oil and balsamic vinegar, thanks." And then she said, "Do you need it on the side?" And when I said "No", she said that they could toss the salad with just oil and vinegar. Awesome.

Meal 3 - Hubby made pork chops dipped in coconut flour, and then crushed some pineapple and combined it with coconut flour, and cooked it on the stove until it thickened. We poured that on the chops and had a salad. I had a kiwi for dessert - hubby couldn't because he's allergic. It was the most delicious kiwi I've ever eaten.

I love my new taste buds.

• 3 weeks later...

So, life got too busy to keep track of food every day. I've never been good at that. However:

I completed the Whole 30 with no slip-ups; not even one! I'm so happy and healthy. I don't really want to stop. I'm go to do the reintroductions anyway, to see how they affect me, but I'm seriously considering just continuing to eat like this whenever making these choices is in my control! I don't know why I wouldn't!

Examples of when this isn't in my control:

Eating at extended family's house - this doesn't mean I'll have twenty pieces of cake, but I won't badger my dad about what seasonings he used on his meals when he makes them, like I did two weeks ago.

And.... that's all Ican think of right now.

I hope to convince friends to try it, just because it was so excellent for me!

Archived