Montezuma's Revenge - Help!!

After taking a spring break trip to Cancun, I have had a bad case of Montezuma's Revenge (diarrhea up to 7x/day, severe nausea, fatigue, and dehydration) with today being the ninth day of illness. I have been prescribed an antibiotic but really don't want to have to take it and risk wiping out all the good bacteria in my gut, especially since I don't know if this is a bacterial or viral infection.

I have heard that coconut oil is supposed to have antifungal/antibacterial properties and a nurse recommended (along with taking the antibiotic), that I only have liquids for 24 hours (started this morning, have had coconut water, plain water, coconut milk, coconut oil) and then follow the BRAT diet (sweet potatoes, unsweetened applesauce, maybe pumpkin?) for a few days.

I have been following the Whole 30 diet (third attempt now!) for five days as closely as I can with the nausea affecting my appetite. I have noticed that whenever I eat coconut oil the nausea is intensified & wanted to see if that was possibly a sign that I have a serious infection that the coconut oil is working to heal? Or if I should avoid coconut products completely?

Any other tips to help rid myself of this bug without taking antibiotics would be great!

Skip the coconut and dehydration can kill you..... If your going on over a week.... I'd listen to my doc and take the antibiotics. And not sure if a MOD will comment but white rice may be in order??? You can always add a few days to the back end of your w30

Fluids,fluids,fluids!!!!

• Moderators

I don't understand taking antibiotics for diarrhea, but definitely take an anti-diarrhea medicine. Most anything in the drug store should do. Don't worry about herbal/natural. Just take something modern and do it quick. I sometimes forget and suffer for a day or two. As soon as I start taking something, mine stops that day.

I am not saying you should not take the antibiotic. If your doctor thinks you should, I would. I just finished taking a 5 day course of antibiotics - my first use in years. I am sure it has done something to my gut, but I am not noticing it yet. I have been drinking a bottle of kombucha and eating a little sauerkraut every day to repopulate my gut with good stuff. I will make some bone broth in the next day or two.

Montezumas revenge can be very bacterial so follow Dr's orders. You can replace the good bacteria later. BRAT stands for banana, rice (white), applesauce and toast (white). I think sweet potatoes and pumpkin are too high in fiber. Only take the anti diarrhea med if your doc said to.

You poor thing. I've had it many years ago and ended up in the hospital so please follow doctor's orders.

Can someone make you some bone broth? That would be very beneficial.

Archived