Well, that's a wrap!

befabdaily

So I'm sitting here on the last day of my Whole30, having happily scarfed up a giant cucumber and Tuscan melon salad along with some chicken and paleo mayo, and it's kind of anticlimactic. When reading up beforehand, I thought this was going to be a huge pain in the ass, and that I would (maybe) be miserable restricting myself even though I might feel better in the end, and that at the end I would want to dive into a bottle of wine and a bowl of rice. Instead, I'm just like, well, Day 30, and, OK, what's going to be different tomorrow? Nothing. It's not like I'm going to run out and re-stock my pantry the old way. I might have an adult beverage.

The bad:

• I probably ate too much fruit. But -- it is the season when every fruit I love is ripe. Other times of the year I could do a Whole30 and the berries just wouldn't be available and I'd adapt.
  • I had a few days there when I was way too fascinated with Artisana Coconut Butter. But then after a few days it lost its novelty and has been sitting in the cupboard harmlessly.
  • I figured out that not eating in a timely fashion is most likely to send me into a mini-spiral of grazing. But I did manage to graze exclusively on approved foods.

The good:

• My sinuses and ears are much clearer than when I started. I'd love to see where they'd be after a Whole90. I am still using Claritin, but the standard dosage now does what the standard dosage is supposed to do instead of just barely making a dent.
  • I'm down to using my control inhaler about one puff every three days instead of the prescribed 2x/day.
  • When the temperatures went up and the air quality got bad here, I didn't have the experience I have at least once per spring of my eyes becoming sore, sticky and photophobic, and requiring steroid eye drops.
  • I haven't had a headache since sometime in the carb-flu days early in the month -- neither a regular headache or the migrainey kind that feels like it starts in my gut.
  • I haven't had much gas, random stomach cramps, or other gut problems since early in the month.
  • My skin is really soft.
  • I can't tell you how much weight I lost because I wasn't weighing regularly when I started, but I'm about 6 pounds less than the weight that made me worry a few months ago, so that's good, and I've lost about inch off chest, waist, hip since I started and more like 2-3" off the little puff below my belly button. I can look in the mirror and it's obvious that things have redistributed and that some puff is gone off my upper chest and face as well. I can also see a difference in how my tissues look. The places where I still have accumulated fat, feel softer and the tissue looks more translucent.
  • My kitchen is organized with much more clarity around what I actually need day-to-day and not around being prepared for things I don't often do (like baking).

I have been thinking about what my food policy is going to be once this is over, and I think it's pretty much going to be Whole30 style at home, make the best of it when socializing, and if I want a treat like a baked good or a chocolate, buy one out, enjoy it, but don't bring the ingredients home. I don't really eat out much anyway but would like to be able to go to the shawarma place with my work buddies once in a while, or have a social glass of wine or two.

My kitchen is organized with much more clarity around what I actually need day-to-day and not around being prepared for things I don't often do (like baking).

This is a great point and one that I experienced also. Why was I so ready to bake bread when I haven't baked bread for years? I had a realistic discussion with myself about whether yeast and various kinds of flour were really things I needed on hand and sitting in view on my countertop. Onions and squash go much better in there place! :)

...AND, I'm thinking chocolate might be a headache trigger, or sugar. I had some TJs chocolate bar and boom. There was a confounder, though -- I was wearing a pulled-tight waist belt this morning, which I have, in the past, felt was connected with migraines and digestive ill-being. I'll repeat the test without it. Crio Bru wasn't bothering me during the Whole30, though.

I didn't have a horrible diet before starting, and I had gotten where I didn't really like to eat a lot of sweets, but I was relying a lot more heavily on things like refried black beans and brown rice pasta and whole wheat tortillas -- your standard quick and easy "healthy" high carb fare. I was also relying too heavily on fruit and not enough veggies.

I didn't really have much in the way of "carb flu" or other difficult adjustment stages, maybe a couple of days when I felt a little tired and ornery but that wasn't worse than I was feeling before I started.

Hey befabdaily -

Congrats on your success! I love reading this stories and hope to have one of my own soon. :)

My biggest issue is my sinuses - I would *love* to see improvement there. I was wondering how long it took before you saw improvement with your sinuses, and how much do you think they improved?

Thanks for sharing your story!

Julia

Well, I started cutting back on dairy a few weeks before I started the Whole30, so I was seeing improvement even before I started. If dairy's really your problem, you should definitely feel some improvement by the time you're through. My doctors have said over the years that I have a lot of scarring in my sinuses due to old infections, so I don't know if they'll ever be 100% clear, but I will take breathing through my nose during normal day to day activity, and not dripping! I'm going to try for a Whole60 (or more) after I get back from a couple of trips I'm taking at the beginning of July, and see if it improves further.

Befab - You nailed it! Great story, great lessons learned. Things can only get better from here!

PS: My money is on the sugar. My first indulgence after a Whole30 generally leads me straight to the ibuprofen.

PPS: I can't believe I'm not the only one who has trouble with belts! I thought I was a freak...

Never done the Spanx (now I probably never will...). I also have to wear low rise pants. My mom used to say something about a big fat nerve running right through that area that may cause trouble if it's pressed to much, but I'm no scientist so I just avoid things that push on my belly.

So good to know I'm not a lone fish...

My mom used to say something about a big fat nerve running right through that area that may cause trouble if it's pressed to much, but I'm no scientist so I just avoid things that push on my belly.

There's all sorts of cool research now about the gut basically being like a second brain in terms of neurological complexity. I get headaches when I wear tight things on my head (like a pinchy pair of sunglasses) so it makes sense that being squeezed could piss off that "gut brain" as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived