Frenemies

jodea

My friend has always been curvy and beautiful and happy that way. Well, until recently. Meeting a new man and getting cosy has meant putting on a few pounds and she's been actively trying to lose weight for the first time ever.

I always envied her healthy relationship with food while I dieted, binged and dieted my way through my twenties. Well, the W30 has levelled this out and I feel great (apart from a recent blip covered on another forum!). I didn't start it to lose weight, but have lost about 9 pounds and feel like I've reached my natural set point. At 5' 3" and 124 pounds I'm well within a healthy range for my medium frame.

My friend hasn't commented on my weight loss or new way of eating. Fair enough. However, our boyfriends are friends and my boyfriend told me lastnight that apparently her boyfriend was saying I look skinny and must be dieting too much! My boyfriend and I have both been eating clean and working out more and generally feeling and looking better. I don't believe for one second these views are coming from her boyfriend!

She's clearly making these comments and he's reciting them parrot-fashion. Why doesn't she just say it to my face! I try not to judge the fact that they drink most nights of the week and then complain about not shifting the weight. And I certainly don't bitch to my boyfriend so he'll pass the message on! Grrr!

It just makes me laugh. So passive aggressive! She makes little comments in front of me as well like 'I want to be able to enjoy life and just eat what I want'. Right, because I'm clearly not enjoying my life by choosing not to eat crap and get trashed on wine. Poor me.

That really sounds like her problem... not yours. It stinks that comments are making it back to you. Here's my (not really asked for) advice: know who you are and what you are doing and let her have her problems.

Reading your posts again, it sounds like you are already doing this... good for you!

Archived