Day 28 and still having stomach issues

My Whole30 is just about done and I have had stomach issues for the last week and a half and it is really frustrating... I didn't really have stomach issues before I started and my diet was not the most amazing but it wasn't terrible. I would eat cheese occasionally but used coconut milk creamer and I don't like milk and wasn't eating yogurt so there wasn't a lot of dairy in my diet. I was eating low(er) carb so my sweetener was stevia. I always have protein and vegetables for all my meals and cook primarily with coconut oil. I thought eating raw cashews might be the problem (I would only eat 1 closed handful a day) so I haven't eaten them in a couple days. I don't eat a ton of fruit either. One day I ate too much and it was bad news. I got really bad stomach cramps and had to (TMI!) take frequent trips to the restroom. I usually eat 1/2 a grapefruit at breakfast and feel fine. Another day I had a banana with almond butter (maybe a tablespoon) and was sick within 10 minutes. I ended up only eating a baked sweet potato with ghee for dinner. I have eaten bananas on other days and not gotten sick. I had also had some cashews earlier that day so I don't know if cashews are the problem. I was eating cashews when I first started and there was no issue. I am usually very regular but having a loose/watery BM basically everyday for the last week and a half is really bothering me and I don't know if I need to take digestive enzymes or cut something out of my diet or what. Everything I eat is stuff I was eating before and I wasn't having a problem. Maybe I am not getting enough fiber?

A typical day for me is eggs w/veggies in the morning and 1/2 grapefruit. Lunch is veggies/protein (I guess I don't really eat fat at lunch but I am not sure how to incorporate it because I don't want more eggs and I don't like avocado :/). Dinner is veggies/protein. The protein I eat is fish, steak, chicken, beef, and sometimes pork. I don't eat a lot of raw vegetables. If I have a snack it is cashews/coconut flakes or a small piece of fruit.

• Moderators

Many people are surprised when they clean up what they think is a good diet and find they experience a notable difference. It doesn't take much of problem foods to cause trouble.

Cashews are a good fat source, but nuts can be rough on your stomach. If you are having loose stools, backing off on nuts is a good place to start.

Adding fiber may not help, although adding sweet potato might help. Another thing to try is adding probiotics by eating sauerkraut or drinking kombucha.

There are lots of ways to get fat into your meals. You can choose a fatty cut of meat like chicken thighs or ribeye steak. You can add olives. You can add an olive oil based dressing. Many people like to drizzle a good extra virgin olive oil on grilled meat. You can add melted ghee to vegetables or meat.

Thanks for the reply! I noticed I started having stomach issues when I introduced kombucha. I would only drink 1/2 bottle a day but maybe my body was just adjusting? I probably had it 7-10 days. I guess I will just keep playing around with my diet and hope for the best!

I tried kombucha as well during my first W30. Seemed to make it worse...Whole Foods sells a coconut probiotic shot, in individual shots or in a big bottle. I was having pretty BAD digestive issues during my first W30, and about 2 weeks in I tried the coconut probiotic (its in the refrigerated section of the medicine area). Within an hour, I felt better. It was insane how fast it worked! Not saying it will work for you in the same way, but its worth a shot (pun intended). I now have a reduced nut intake, and I take PB8 vegetarian probiotics that I got from super supplements, as well as their NOW Digestive Enzymes, and everything seems to be going well. I can even drink kombucha with no problems :)

Everything I've read about kombucha says start slowly and work up otherwise it can cause stomach upset. I'm a massive fan of it now (I brew my own) but I started with just a couple of ounces a day and gradually increased it.

Archived