My children are always hungry! I need suggestions.

hmeatyard

My family and I just started our first whole30 13 days ago. It is going great other than my children are always hungry (or they think they are). I have six children so our grocery bill is always high but since we started whole 30 my grocery bill has doubled because they are eating a lot more.

Here is what they ate yesterday:

Breakfast: two scrambled eggs (cooked with coconut oil), sweet potato hash browns with onions (cooked with coconut oil), two pieces of bacon, a piece of fruit, and some guacamole to go on their eggs.

Lunch-Sweet potato with drizzled coconut oil and spices, celery with guacamole, a fruit, cherry tomatoes

Snack-fruit and/or nuts

Dinner- I made 3 pounds of chorizo meat that had peppers, onions, and mushrooms in it, lettuce leaves as taco shells, guacamole, salsa, and roasted carrots (cooked with coconut oil)

I have a bowl of nuts on the table that they are allowed to have when ever also.

My questions are:

Is it normal for them to want to eat every couple of hours? They weren't like this before we started Whole30.

Should I have them eating more fats, proteins, etc. to keep them fuller longer?

I would love suggestions because my children are eating us out of house and home. I just don't understand how they are so hungry when I am still so full from the last meal.

Was there protein at meal 2? Make sure they are getting PLENTY of protein and good fats at each meal. Your kids' breakfast sounds similar to what I feed my oldest two kids. We have four kids, ages 10, 8, 5, and 3, my husband has an extremely physically demanding job and eats a ton, and it is not unusual for me to cook four pounds of meat at a meal...sometimes there are blessed leftovers for school lunches. I have US Wellness snack sticks and boiled eggs and sardines available for snacks in addition to fruit and occasional nuts. We go through a quart of homemade mayonnaise every week to 10 days. I just read on Mark Sisson's site about a mother who was upset because her son ate half a roast turkey and all six sweet potatoes that her whole family was supposed to have for dinner while she was out for the day, and Mark advised her that it sounded normal and healthy. I don't know if that answers your questions, but it gives you something to compare to. I am thinking that when my boys are teenagers, either I am going to be chained to the kitchen, they are going to learn to cook, or they are going to starve. I am aiming for option B!

I've determined that my kids will go through short phases like this every so often. However, I believe that my children experience much of the increased satiety and stable energy that I do. Sometimes, they forget to eat lunch! I say give it another week or two, and then start to work out some affordable large batch options. Sweet potatoes are fairly inexpensive and are a great filler ;)

My kids are pigs! They are 11, 9, 7 and 6. Less than an hour after dinner, they eat again. One thing I have them do now is drink a cup of water. I know my thirst increased when I started this process. I think some of it, for them, is thirst. I cook at least three pounds of protein for supper. Sometimes we have leftovers. Usually not. We eat a lot of chicken legs and ground beef from Costco. I give them baked white potatoes at least once a week. Parsnips and rutabagas did not go over well. I make them sweet potato 'pancakes' for a quick breakfast. They are not W30, but are 90% paleo. We have been eating like this since August. The first few weeks, I seriously under estimated. Things seem to have balanced out a bit. That, or I've just accepted that cooking 35 chicken legs or a 3 lb meatloaf will not provide leftovers. I'm happy to buy produce a few times a week. It's better than stuffing them with junk. Huge bags of frozen veggies are a lifesaver. We spend more on groceries, but a lot less on eating out. It's a wash for us. My kids help in the kitchen. I play to their interests. My older son loves experimenting with spices. My daughter lives to chop and peel. The other two have no interest, but they pitch in too.

Archived