Fell off the wagon and need to get back on!

I was on Whole90 and doing very well. Then, I went to my doctor and after my blood test, she took me off my cholesterol medicine. I was so happy and excited that I was doing so well. Down 30 pounds and feeling great.

Slowly, I started to do little cheats and they eventually turned into eating those horrible, bad for our body and mind foods. I have decided to re-read IT STARTS WITH FOOD and start with Day one again. Any advice? I am so sad that I stopped and DON'T want to get back on the meds.

Thank you!

I invite you to read the logs from folks who've done this ahead of you (including me). You'll find that we all have challenges, and you may find some tricks there. My plan (I'm on day 48 of a W30!) is to make W30 the foundation of my eating indefinitely (hopefully for the rest of my life!) I expect to occasionally and briefly be less strict, but it's an awesome foundation for just eating good food.

And somehow, the discipline of the program has really clicked with me this time!

I wish you very well for a successful W30. You already know it's worth it!

I found the "Strategies for Long-term Success" chapter in ISWF very helpful in re-framing the whole idea of "cheats", in life post-W30. Accordingly, I don't call them cheats anymore. "Cheats" is not an accurate description of what really happens anyway, anymore than "slips" or "falling off the wagon" is in describing a drinking relapse.

The fact is I sometimes choose to eat things that I know aren't healthy. Bringing those decisions into the realm of conscious decision making forces me to be accountable. I also choose to eat real, healthy, high quality food the vast majority of the time.

I know just switching up some semantics can't keep the sugar dragon chained to the wall forever, but it's definitely a step toward making every decision to put something in my mouth a conscious one, and stop pretending I'm trying to "get away with something", as if someone besides me is ultimately in control of what goes into my body. As they say, "progress not perfection".

I find your post hopeful. By sharing your experience, including the post W30 setback, you're taking responsibility, which tells me you'll ultimately regain control. I think reading the book is a great move. I read it in one sitting on day 5 and I'm glad I did. Not only did it provide some course correction but it put the next 25 days and Whole30 in a lot more context, especially what to expect afterwards.

So turn that sadness into determination but cut yourself some slack, too. ;)

I know just switching up some semantics can't keep the sugar dragon chained to the wall forever, but it's definitely a step toward making every decision to put something in my mouth a conscious one, and stop pretending I'm trying to "get away with something", as if someone besides me is ultimately in control of what goes into my body. As they say, "progress not perfection".

. . .

So turn that sadness into determination but cut yourself some slack, too. ;)

That's the most value this program has had for me. I've stopped eating mindlessly now. I don't let circumstances or the desire to numb emotional pain make food decisions for me any more. I make the healthiest choices I can based on what's available and what's going on inside me at any given time. That's the part that's been foundational and life-changing.

Thanks for the insight, marti and jp. I've done 3 previous Whole30s, but never did proper reintro. I just sort of plotted which forbidden treats to try first. All three times I eventually slipped back to my old ways. Now I'm on Day 86 of a Whole100 and so many things have changed, in my head especially.

I am making conscious decisions on what to put in my mouth, but I've also finally broken the habits of grabbing an unhealthy go-to item when stressed. Those decisions are no longer completely conscious, where I sit myself down and give myself a talking to about why I shouldn't have it, I no longer see it as a solution. I no longer run for a chocolate bar or a bag of chips when somebody hurts my feelings, and I no longer reach for a glass of wine after a hard day at work. Those things don't even show up on my radar as options for how to handle my emotional eating issues. This is probably the biggest gift I've ever given myself. And this time, even though I have no desire to reintroduce sugar, grains, dairy, or legumes, I will do a proper reintro so I know where I stand with them. Alcohol, which is a poison with no redeeming qualities, may very well be off the table permanently.

Archived