Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ragbaby

List of non meat protein sources?

Is there a list anywhere of non meat protein sources?

I've got the ISWF vegi shopping list http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Vegetarian-Shopping-List.pdf but all it suggests is

Eggs

then for dairy I think it suggests yoghurt and Keffir (which I have not a clue about)

tempeh

natto (never heard of)

edamame

or tofu and 'various beans' as a second choice.

Given that I have never seen natto or keffir and edamame are thin on the ground as is tempeh I'm trapped with eggs, tofu and yoghurt - not a whole lot of fun for 30 days.

Any clues as to the 'various beans' would be gratefully recieved.

The options for vegetarians include:

Besides eggs...

Dairy proteins include yogurt and kefir. Greek yogurt is especially high in protein. You should go with full-fat dairy. Kefir is a yogurt-like drink popular in Eastern Europe and some other parts of the world. You can find it in a variety of health food stores and at Whole Foods. You can also incorporate whey protein powder.

Legume proteins include tempeh, which is basically Indonesian-style fermented soy, natto, which is a Japanese-style fermented soy, edamame, which is immature soy beans, and tofu, also known as soybean curd. You can eat lentils and beans if they are soaked and rinsed before cooking to remove phytates. And finally in this area, you can use hemp or pea protein powder. You can find many of these foods in health food stores and at Whole Foods.

The soaking and rinsing process for beans is like 12 hours of soaking and several rinses.

The menu for vegetarians doing a Whole30 is a bit thin, but with imaginative cooking, I believe you can achieve a good variety of tastes.

that is really helpful, thank you. Tempeh is pretty easy to get (well there is one shop that sells it), Tofu is easy and Greek yoghurt is everywhere but the other stuff might be hard to track down. That is really good news about lentils, I have no problem rinsing and rinsing :-)

I know that this is far off the reservation ragbaby, but for the whys behind soaking beans and traditional preps for grains (post W30) and soaking nuts, check out WAFP and Nourishing Traditions. Reading and researching both set my feet on this path 6 years ago and I feel better than I ever felt before.

I just started the Whole30 on Mon, April 8. I used to be a vegetarian - then added in dairy, eggs and seafood. Over past year, have added back in turkey. This week added back in beef - BECAUSE - i was under the assumption that dairy and all legumes were to be eliminated completely...I am now a bit confused by the pdf for vegetarians as I struggle to eat more protein as I get started this week on the Whole30. What is the rationale for its elimination in the first place if the vegetarian option includes my favorites - whey protein powder and greek yogurt - as well as legumes? The elimination of legumes made sense due to the fact that I struggle with ongoing tendonitis and I read the link between inflamation and a protein that is found in legumes and grains. But dairy? If it ok to eat - and get the SAME results as an omnivore - then I sure would like to add it back in per your suggestions above...

MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Hi Theresa, the original W30 was designed for omnivores. It excludes all the foods that most people find problematical. That includes dairy and legumes. However some people, for religious or ethical reasons don't eat meat, fish or eggs. The W30 was adapted so that vegetarians and vegans could also eliminate the most problamatical foods. Some of the foods allowed on this program like dairy and legumes could still cause problems for some people but if you're not having meat then your protein has to come from somewhere.

No one has ever claimed that following the vegetarian option will give the same results as following the original program. However it will still give better results than eating a lot of grains etc. Basically the worst offenders are eliminated and those not-so-great like legumes are allowed for protein.

The original W30 is an elimination diet so if you follow the original W30 eliminating all dairy, grains, legumes etc, then you will get the best possible results. After 30 days when you reintroduce these, you'll really know how your body reacts to them, sometimes problems can be deeply hidden and this shows them up, but if you keep taking it, even in small amounts, throughout your 30 days, you won't see these results. Which is why if you eat meat or fish at all W30 recomends sticking to that for 30 days and not cherrypicking between the programs. You really deserve the best results you can get. Good luck

Hi there!

I'm currently on Day 17 of my Whole 30. I am breast feeding a 7 month old and am "vegetarian" except that I reintroduced some fish back into my diet when I was pregnant and have continued to eat fish.

So far on my Whole 30, I've increased my egg intake to about 4 a day (2 with breakfast and 2 with lunch). I've also had trouble staying away from nuts or nut butters because it's been an easy way to add protein/fat to a snack.

However, I've had terrrrrible gas for the past 10 days or so. Which wasn't a problem for me before. Now I'm beginning to think that I have a sensitivity to eggs and/or nuts.

Is there a way to tell?

I'm worried that if I cut out eggs -- then my Whole 30 is going to be a LOT more difficult for me. They've been a quick easy meal while holding a little one in the kitchen.

I was thinking of adding lentils and tempeh back into my diet (I ate them frequently off Whole 30). I'm really enjoying this Whole 30 experience, and I want to keep going! But I guess I'm just reaching that point where I'm getting frustrated with what feels like a lack of variety for my protein sources.

Any advice?

There isn't really any way to tell for sure without cutting them out and then trying again but for what it's worth, loads more peolple have digestive problems with nuts than do with eggs. Unless you have serious auto immune issues and are following the AI protocol, eggs are very rarely a problem. Hope you get it sorted.

I'm on day 2 and haven't had legumes or greek yogurt yet, however I am hungry and have been snacking more than I'd like.
Would it be better to try the program with dairy or legume option or do both?

Does the type of bean or legume matter?
I have attempted to make tempeh and it was terrible since I don't know how to cook it.

This was a very helpful section for me.  I was raised a vegetarian and have tried to add fish and chicken to my diet but it has been difficult. I just don't like the taste or texture.  Although I have occasionally had it prepared in a way that was slightly enjoyable - so I think there is hope!!  I understand that Dallas Hartwig was raised a vegetarian, we have similar backgrounds based on his University ;).  But for some reason it seems much easier for men to add meat to their diet.  My brother was also raised vegetarian and he easily switched to eating meat without batting an eye.  Anyway, I'm coming to the Paleo world kicking and screaming.  A lot of my friends have been telling me I need to do this because I have a history of inflammation in my body, (arthritis, hives).  AND I am skeptical about it being just another diet fad.  I have a hard time believing legumes and grain, something naturally occurring in nature can be bad for you.  Anyway, I'm going to try, within the next week, to do the Whole30, sticking with fish, eggs and chicken as my protein.  I'm sure I'll feel better because the diet eliminates sugar which I know is terrible for your immune system. Wish me luck!