CALLING ALL UK Whole30/Post-Whole30-ers!

They also have a nice packet of blackforest ham that is compliant - the writing is in German. It makes great crispy bacon if you nuke it for 1 minute.

Derval - do you know the name of the blackforest ham and which section it's in? I'm assuming you're talking about Tescos!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I have bought a reduced price multipack of avocados from Tesco in the evening. However they end up being perfectly ripe for eating AND cheap. I always have avocados in the house now and stagger the timing of buying them, so once I buy the new ones, I will eat the older ones first etc. I used to get frustrated because I would randomly think oh I would really like an avocado today, or if we were planning Mexican for dinner and then they would all be too hard.

MrsMaggie... I do that too! It works REALLY well! Especially if you leave them in the fridge and they last ages!

And speaking of larger bags...is there anywhere i can buy packages of nuts that are larger than 200g? I miss the lovely American bulk food sections.

Try Amazon! Are you American or just lived there? I'm an American ex-pat currently living in Kent... been here for 3 years now! I do have to say compliant food IS harder to find here! Although they do have better food quality in some things (meat especially!)

I think it's the same as prosciutto.

It is - the full name is Prosciutto di Parma , Parma being the place it is made.

Derval - do you know the name of the blackforest ham and which section it's in? I'm assuming you're talking about Tescos!

it was with the salami, chorizo etc and it's a green blue pack with german writing on it. But Tesco own brand.

eta - found it in my log

8.30am - fried up courgette & grated sweet potato and a bit of unripe avo, with "bacon" on top, It was actually this new ham I got nuked in the micro, super tasty!

bcdf0828831711e2bb0f22000a1fbc94_6.jpga0ae46be831711e2947622000a9e138b_6.jpg

I found the kombucha delicious. I got mine from Derval's link, then a local store Roots n Fruits started carrying it. I can't afford to keep up with it so now i make my own - it's really easy and way way cheaper

It's super easy. you can even do it starting with a bottle of gokombucha like this

http://www.paprikahead.com/2009/07/how-to-brew-your-own-kombucha-from.html

I've used that method. I've also purchased a scoby from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Organic-Kombucha-Mother-starter-Scoby-/200910614260?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Dieting_Slimming_ET&hash=item2ec734aef4

It comes with full instructions. Basically each brew only takes tea and sugar added to the scoby and starter so it's really cheap. This is an american site but there's a lot of good info on it

http://www.getkombucha.com/kombucha-brewing

Also if you search the forums here there's quite a lot of info about brewing it 'cos so many of us do now. It's how I got started.

Try Amazon! Are you American or just lived there? I'm an American ex-pat currently living in Kent... been here for 3 years now! I do have to say compliant food IS harder to find here! Although they do have better food quality in some things (meat especially!)

I never think of Amazon for food shopping.

I am American, though I haven't really lived there in the last ten years. I've been here for just over three years as well :)

The finest outdoor reared pork from tesco is delicious, I can highly recommend it. Tesco also sell Spollt Pig bacon which is compliant and absolutely yummy. Also get their biggish bags of macadamia nuts to divide up.

I buy my coconut oil from Sainsburys its in the ethnic section of their bigger stores, made by KTC brand and is only £1.50 for a 500ml jar which is brilliant value, I cook everyhing in it.

Roots n fruits! good memories of shopping in there from my days of living just off Great Western Road.

I must have a look to see if they have that cheaper coconut oil in the big Sainsburys in Raploch in Stirling.

Will also see if I can get the German stuff from Tesco and microwave it - that pic looks nice.

My Mum is over from Northern Ireland for a few days just now and I am getting question after question about "this Paleo thing", I am only realising now how much even just one Whole30 has totally changed my relationship to my body and food.

I am sooooo happy I have found this. It feels so simple and right, like the penny has finally dropped, yet I wonder how it took me so long to realise this. Then other people are curious about the hows and whys of my eating habits and it seems very strange to them. There must be a flip moment when you go "ahaaaaa!"

Not sure if I am making sense!?

I know exactly what you mean. Sat across from my mum now, just had a grilling! I'd ideally like to get my 18 month old transitioned but my husband and mum already think I'm a bit crazy so I haven't dared broach the subject yet. I need to give it longer so they understand its not a diet or a phase but a way of life.

Yes thats funny I have just sat and had conversation with my Mum now too, I showed her the "slim is simple" thing to explain it a bit. She was asking is it safe for pregnant women, yes mum, and what about children, yes mum, but where do they get their calcium? (always question 1).....is that not just like the Atkins? (always question 2).....arrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

Yay! My kombucha has arrived! I've started with the green one. It's got a sharp kick but it is lovely. It's great to have another option other than tea and water and it will be nice to have instead of wine when we have company.

Thinking about getting a scoby and making my own.

Hi there, really glad to have found this, I am all set to start my first whole30 on Monday. Have been trying to eat clean for last few months but will give the whole30 a try to see if I can shift some weight. Great to read about things that are here, in the UK and are compatible with the plan!

Also re nut butters - I make my own, it is very simple and MUCH cheaper. We get nuts from Makro or Costco and all you do is put your nuts in the food processor and blitz it for about 15 minutes... 1kg of almonds is about £7 and makes as much butter. A Meridian jar is over £2 for less than 200g!

Hiya from another American ex-pat.

I started my second Whole30 on April 1st.

Nuts - I brought a load back from Trader Joe's on my last visit home (Costco is good too!), but Indian or ethnic supermarkets are also good for bulk buys. I bought some almond meal last year but found it easier to make my own in the Vita-Mix same for nut butters.

Hello there. I'm on Day 5 of my first Whole 30 - going well so far. I've got my parents, sister and brother in laws all visiting this weekend and am very much in a divided household so am having to provide lots of non Whole 30 food including desserts - think I will be alright but will be a tough test!

I posted this question in the Sourcing food in the UK but no luck with a response yet so thought I might try here. Does anyone know where to source fire roasted tomatoes in the UK? I have a few recipes I'd really like to try that use them.

Thanks in advance!

'Fraid not. I've seen them here http://www.ecrater.c...atoes-145?gps=1 but it's one of my pet peeves, Google advertises it as free shipping but the shipping is actually £50 :angry: so unles you're willing to pay over £60 for 6 tins, which I'm cataegorically not, then I've still to find them.

I wonder would one of those shops for american ex-pats stock them?

Archived