CALLING ALL UK Whole30/Post-Whole30-ers!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder would one of those shops for american ex-pats stock them?

I've had a look at the half dozen sites that I had bookmarked and none of them seem to sell much in the way of food.

The only thing us American expats miss is sweets, baked goods and cereal :) And Mexican food.

I was wondering if Costco might sell them, but I need to wait for my ISA money to be freed up or my tax rebate before I venture there.

We have a Whole Foods here in Glasgow now. I phoned them and even they don't have fire roasted tomatoes. They do have glass jars of oen roasted tomatoes but I don't think that's the same thing.

edited to add I found this online http://www.ehow.com/how_4551995_fire-roast-tomatoes.html how to make your own but it seems to require a grill.

While I was looking for kombucha on Amazon I stumbled across sunflower seed butter (and a huge variety of other nut/seed butters)

http://www.carleys.co.uk/index.php/products/organic-seed-butters/organicrawseedbutters/28-products/seed-butters/raw-seed-butter/128-raw-sunflower-butter

Unfortunately several of them have sunflower oil added in, and I'm not sure if that's okay for a whole30?

While I was looking for kombucha on Amazon I stumbled across sunflower seed butter (and a huge variety of other nut/seed butters)

http://www.carleys.c...unflower-butter

Unfortunately several of them have sunflower oil added in, and I'm not sure if that's okay for a whole30?

yes I asked before & that is ok, not ideal but acceptable, but don't make it an every day part of your diet.

I know we covered this briefly before but can we go back to eating out? It's a big part of my social life so, despite avoiding it as much as possible during W30, I'm out tonight, Sat and Sun lunch. So far I've ordered on the face of it compliant items - i.e. just meat, fish and veg - but have not asked about the oil.

What do you say? I'm not sure any restaurant would have ghee or coconut oil so do you ask them to cook it in olive oil or nothing at all?

What else do you say? No dairy, no gluten ... ?

I've chosen a steak restaurant tonight called Flat Iron so am hoping for some plain grilled steak and an undressed salad - fingers crossed

My husband has just finished a course (so he was off work for two weeks, plus paid £1000 for the course), so luckily for my Whole30, eating out isn't really on the agenda for the next month. But, I'd probably include no butter/margarine to the list. And do they do corn on salad here sometimes, or am I just confused with Japan?

Yay! My kombucha has arrived! I've started with the green one. It's got a sharp kick but it is lovely. It's great to have another option other than tea and water and it will be nice to have instead of wine when we have company.

Thinking about getting a scoby and making my own.

Where did you get the Kombucha from and how much?? =0)

Hello there. I'm on Day 5 of my first Whole 30 - going well so far. I've got my parents, sister and brother in laws all visiting this weekend and am very much in a divided household so am having to provide lots of non Whole 30 food including desserts - think I will be alright but will be a tough test!

I posted this question in the Sourcing food in the UK but no luck with a response yet so thought I might try here. Does anyone know where to source fire roasted tomatoes in the UK? I have a few recipes I'd really like to try that use them.

Thanks in advance!

I think that I've gotten them at ASDA before... but don't see them on the internet shop page. I read somewhere that someone found them at Morrison's, but I haven't looked. You can make your own: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4551995_fire-roast-tomatoes.html. Or, just used diced tomatoes - it just won't have the "smoke" taste!

Hello there. I'm on Day 5 of my first Whole 30 - going well so far. I've got my parents, sister and brother in laws all visiting this weekend and am very much in a divided household so am having to provide lots of non Whole 30 food including desserts - think I will be alright but will be a tough test!

How did the weekend go?! None of my family (hubby and four kids) eat Whole30 (or anything close!) so I'm tested daily! I have to say though, Easter was the hardest for me because I was actually making dessert and "fancy" meals!

How did the weekend go?! None of my family (hubby and four kids) eat Whole30 (or anything close!) so I'm tested daily! I have to say though, Easter was the hardest for me because I was actually making dessert and "fancy" meals!

I know we covered this briefly before but can we go back to eating out? It's a big part of my social life so, despite avoiding it as much as possible during W30, I'm out tonight, Sat and Sun lunch. So far I've ordered on the face of it compliant items - i.e. just meat, fish and veg - but have not asked about the oil. What do you say? I'm not sure any restaurant would have ghee or coconut oil so do you ask them to cook it in olive oil or nothing at all? What else do you say? No dairy, no gluten ... ? I've chosen a steak restaurant tonight called Flat Iron so am hoping for some plain grilled steak and an undressed salad - fingers crossed

Oh, restaurants!! Here's my favourite game plan: look up the menu for the restaurant on the internet. =0) A lot of time they also have "extra" features on the site so that you can see if things are gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, etc. In this age of allergies a lot more of the "corporate" restaurants have these features on their websites. I don't know if it's the same here in the UK, but I know in the US you can ask for a list of ingrediants for each dish in all the corportate-type restaurants- keeps them from getting sued!!!

Stay away from pubs and ethnic restaurants... I think they are the hardest (although I don't know a ton of ethnic restuarants so some may be really safe... I can just say that my beloved Chinese is NOT! lol). However, Carverys can be good since you can get plain meat and veg and all the dressings and stuff are on the side. I have to say that what the stuff is cooked in may not always be compliant (vegetable oil, margarine, etc) and can't be changed since they are buffet-style, but I'm not that picky as I go out only once in awhile so it's an ok "cheat" for me.

Go to restaurants that have "designer" salads on their menu (ie. chef salad, chopped salad, chicken salad, salmon salad, etc... basically a good range of salads that aren't just a plain green salad or caesar salad) and have them replace the dressing with olive oil/ basalmic vinegar and decline cheese and croutons. Or look for "plain" dishes that are meat and veg.

Stay away from any casserole / combo dishes as they often have cheese or pasta or flour in the sauce (basically anything with sauce), etc. Also stay away from anything battered or fried and, of course, any pastry, pizza and pasta dishes.

Points to discuss/tell your server:

* No cheese

* No bread/croutons

* No sauce (unless you are sure of all the ingredients)

* Sub olive oil/ basalmic vinegar for any salad dressing (or eat plain)

* Can my meat / veg be cooked in olive oil or full-fat butter or plain (and in the case of veg - steamed)?

Just remember that if a little vegetable oil or a splash of milk or something gets in under your radar it's OK - don't beat yourself up. You can only do the best you can when you are at the mercy of other people (whether a restuarant or family or friends!). Remember that this is about changing your way of thinking about food, but food is still something you want to enjoy and be able to use as part of your social life. It's going to take some trial and error to find places that will work for you. =0)

Glad I found this thread !! Im always label reading !!! I bought Kombucha today, and I liked it !! Im considering making my own, this place sells everything you need: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/kombucha-starter-kit-without-book-1709-p.asp
What brand did you get Cristina? I'm going to pick up a bottle of Go! tomorrow for my first try.

Which store(s) are you using ladies?! I want to try. =0)

Glad I found this thread !! Im always label reading !!! I bought Kombucha today, and I liked it !! Im considering making my own, this place sells everything you need: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/kombucha-starter-kit-without-book-1709-p.asp
What brand did you get Cristina? I'm going to pick up a bottle of Go! tomorrow for my first try.

I bought the Carpe Diem brand, bought a bottle at Spar, opened it and had a few sips, then went into tescos and bought a bigger bottle (750 ml) reduced from €2.99 to €1.99. It doesnt taste sweet, it's kinda ginger ale taste, but more on the vinegar side. Tesco has the classic flavour and the cranberry flavour, so I bought the cranberry cos the bottle I bought at Spar was the classic flavour. But I assume that if you make it at home, you can make different flavours, depending on what tea/teas you use.

I bought the Carpe Diem brand, bought a bottle at Spar, opened it and had a few sips, then went into tescos and bought a bigger bottle (750 ml) reduced from €2.99 to €1.99. It doesnt taste sweet, it's kinda ginger ale taste, but more on the vinegar side. Tesco has the classic flavour and the cranberry flavour, so I bought the cranberry cos the bottle I bought at Spar was the classic flavour. But I assume that if you make it at home, you can make different flavours, depending on what tea/teas you use.

Ah I feared it might be this one, since it is the one that's widely available. It's a swizz imo, a product made by the same people as Red Bull, and is pasturized, so no live probiotics :( which is the whole point of kombucha.

Thanks very much for all the good advice. I asked for the steak and salad plain and had steamed broccoli with it - a bit dull but nice enough. At the weekend I went to carluccios and had the poached chicken and prune salad with green beans and hazelnut. The dressing may no ave been compliant but the whole thing was delicious so I wasn't too fussed.

My in laws were fine until the chocolate came out and then were saying "I don't understand why you won't eat it, it's so good" etc so not exactly supportive! I survived though and am now on day 13 going strong and feeling good :-)

Archived