CALLING ALL UK Whole30/Post-Whole30-ers!

Hi all, we've just finished out Whole30 for August but good luck to all the September starters.  I'm with you in spirit and pretty much in reality too as after a week off where we enjoyed some non compliant food, we're back to following the meal template again.  I enjoyed going off-track but it's good to get back on track again.  I love this way of living!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, really glad to have discovered this! I've been flirting with Paleo (mostly primal) for about six months, and going to start whole30 on the first of October. Quite concerned about giving up wine and cheese, but also sort of excited for a new challenge. Just thought I'd say hi...

• 2 weeks later...

Sainsbury's do a compliant smoked salmon - it's in their 3 for £10 offer.

And Waitrose have some cooked wiltshire ham that is ok as well.

I get scd sausages & nitrate free bacon from Devon Rose http://www.devonrose.com/shop/free-from-nitrate-free.html

I'm on day 4 of my second W30, doing ok so far.  Glad I found this thread, some useful info :)

Jenmer you have no idea how much you made my day mentioning the Sainsbury's smoked salmon. I LOVE smoked salmon and was so disappointed I couldn't find any without sugar!

Currently in the middle of day 9 and so far going well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo hallo,

I live in U.K since 1998 but originally from Sweden - so hope I can jump on here  ;)

I am on day 13 as I started on 1st October and today is the first day I am feeling great as I have been struggeling with headache for the last week, blurgh!

Found your FB page jenmer and will follow your posts with interest.

I would like to know more about this Kombucha business, I have got a Kombucha by Thorncroft from Earthfare. I haven't actually made a drink out of it as yet but added some in smoothies. 

Maria  :rolleyes:

I have just driven for over an hour to a big Tesco to get compliant fish sauce and they had it!!!! So so happy!!

Is any butter sold in supermarkets (ie organic) ok to clarify?

I am pretty sure Kerrygold is ok as it's made from grass fed milk. Also Yeo Valley if you see it. But you can't always get unsalted :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, glad I have found some UK Whole30's!

I have been Paleo for 18 months now and looking to do my first Whole30 very soon - I know it's going to be difficult over the Christmas period so I am going to have to start soon!

Having looked through the thread I can heartliy recommend http://www.coconoil.co.uk for coconut oil. They deliver for free in the UK and it works out WAY cheaper than any of the supermarkets!

Finding UK equivalents for some of the things, Fish Sauce in particular is proving pretty difficult. Labelling legislation means that I'm never sure if there is added sugar even if it says just anchovies and salt as the amount "per serving" could be below what they have to list. Can anyone confirm the Tesco version it approved for sure?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, 

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but Tesco have an excellent compliant coconut milk from the brand Thai Taste.  The ingredients are coconut extract and water.  It comes in a sachet as well and is the perfect amount for a thai curry for two :) Here's the link.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=277614633

Looking forward to reviving this thread for some more whole30 tips.  I finished my first whole30 on Saturday and I'm in the re-introduction phase but still plan to continue eating mainly whole30 with a couple of additions.  

• 7 months later...

Nice to meet fellow Whole30ers from the UK x 

This post is fantastic.  My journey begins on Monday 19th January.  We have an Aldi, Lidl, Sainsbury's, Adsda and Tesco close by.  I am going to have to source some products online from Amazon.  I live Wigan, so diverse food choices...nada!!!

Kathryn x 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm in the UK too - do people still read this page?! Fancied a sausage with my fried breakfast but finding compliant sausages is almost impossible in the supermarkets. I've emailed a local butcher who has free-range meat to ask what's in his sausages...

6 minutes ago, Vannnie said:

I've emailed a local butcher who has free-range meat to ask what's in his sausages

Pay close attention to what he uses for his rusk - many of the gluten free sausages in the UK use pea starch/flakes which would of course be out for Whole30 purposes.

Good luck!

Just now, jmcbn said:

Pay close attention to what he uses for his rusk - many of the gluten free sausages use pea starch/flakes which would of course be out for Whole30 purposes.

Good luck!

Yes, good point. I gave him a list of what I can't have and forgot about legumes. Anyway, will wait and see what he says is actually in them! I'm going out to a posh fish restaurant on Thursday and already contacted them about the menu. They said the best thing is to come armed with a list of what I can't have and they'll find me something to eat! They change their menu daily, depending on what fish has been caught, so he couldn't help me in advance. 

Thanks for that :-) Not near a Whole Foods (although have relatives in Cheltenham so may pop in next time we're there). I'm not too desperate that I need a whole box full! We have organic pork from Devon Rose - we live near enough to call in and collect it, saving the postage cost. Do you make the pork mince finer or just as it comes? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Marina.

Pretty quiet thread here. I have just started, and on Day 2.

What day are you on. Be good to have a comprehensive current list of stores that stock compliant foods. Went to lidl Sunday and all the bacon contained sulphates and the like. I love bacon.

Anyone else in the UK giving it a crack before Christmas?

Cheers 

58 minutes ago, Don Pablo said:

Went to lidl Sunday and all the bacon contained sulphates and the like. I love bacon.

You can buy sulphate free bacon in pretty much every other major supermarket chain in the UK or at your local butcher - just be sure not to go for maple cured ;)

ETA: Take a look at this thread for some good advice on what you can buy where, and if you need anything else just ask....

Archived