Kosher/Halal Meats

I haven't seen this question come up, but wondering if Kosher/Halal meats are better than non, if you are not purchasing all grass-fed/pasture-raised meat? The lamb I bought last week was Halal.

I know what the Kosher rules are from a religious standpoint, but don't know if it's more or less W30 than non.

Thanks!

I've only ever read that the slaughter has to be humane, I've never read anything about the raising of the animals. Besides peoples ideas of 'humane' varies widely. I wouldn't assume it necessarily meant pasture raised.

I don't believe either tradition is too concerned on what the animals eat. I think Kosher refers to which animals and parts of animals are allowed.

I do know that Halai is horrifying (I've unfortunately witnessed an animal slaughtered in this tradition) and not even close to humane. I go out of my way to avoid Halai meat. I'd rather eat an animal that was brought in the last few months of it's life to be fattened up on corn than to touch a 100% pastured animal that was killed in the Halai tradition.

For a product to carry the Kosher seal, I believe a rabbi has to pronounce a blessing over the production facility and that it has to meet Kosher standards (no contact with pork, no mixing of meat and milk products, etc.). I don't believe that there are any regulations as to how the animals are raised.

• 2 years later...

Archived