Salad dressings?

Sciuga

Making your own is likely preferred and closest to the spirit of W30. That being said, who among us couldn't save some time in the kitchen and so I was really happy to discover a couple of W30 compliant options under Whole Foods' own label "Health Starts Here". The back says they are made by "Cindy's Kitchen". I love the "Pomegranate Vinaigrette Dressing"; ingredients are: filtered water, fruit juice concentrate (pear, pom), vinegar, sea salt, xanthan gum (which apparently is OK per this post), lemon juice, and black pepper. If I want to increase the healthy fat content of my meal, I sometimes shake the vinaigrette with EVOO and then dress my salad.

If I am in a hurry, I just pour some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper on the salad, and it is just yummy.

Yup. I'm just getting into the primal/paleo thing but I've been making my own vinaigrette for years. I put my dressing ingredients into the salad bowl directly, whisk to emulsify, then add my salad ingredients. One bowl!

I follow this basic recipe. I will use garlic if I don't have shallots. Sometimes I'll just smash the garlic and run it around the bowl or let it sit in the oil for a bit while I prepare my meat. It takes me about 90 seconds to get it ready and tastes great. With bitter greens I'll use some lemon. The amount below dresses a big pile of greens.

Ingredients

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

1.5 tablespoons or more good vinegar -- wine, sherry, rice, balsamic, etc.

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/2 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard (check ingreds of course)

1/2 large shallot (or clove of garlic), peeled and minced (or smashed)

Hi Sciuga,

Most forms of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.

Happy vinegar-ing!

Definitely make your own! Out of curiosity, I checked out the ingredients in the pre-made store bought salad dressings that have been sitting in my fridge since before Whole30. On one of them, the first four ingredients are: water, dextrose, HFCS, brown rice syrup: SERIOUSLY?

There are Whole30 compliant salad dressings out there, but if they are Whole30 compliant then they should be really easy to make yourself. Do it :)

Before Whole30 I would always use cream dressings - ranch, blue cheese, caesar, etc. Now I've learned to love just olive oil and Trader Joe's 21 Season Salute! Fresh herbs and garlics and OO taste great too.

I've seen Tessamae's at WF. I'll have to check it out!

• 1 year later...

My neighbor makes an awesome salad that has the "dressing" sorta built in..  I think there was some olive oil, but it was mostly lime (or lemon?) and cilantro. 

Generally a good concept, salads come together better when ingredients function as dressing.  EVOO/avocado/olives, spices/herbs, something acidic (usually vinegar or lemon or lime).  Something salty if none of the spices included salt.  (Of course, I'll put avocado on almost anything..  "guacamole" was among my first words.  :D )

Archived