Whole30 Groups are the Best

CaseyD

This is intended to be a group Whole30 thread so if you need a buddy, jump on in!!

I'm making a second run this month on a Whole100. But, if you're only doing 30 days definitely jump in. I just need to do 100 days for myself.

I got 10 days in earlier this month and tripped up, partly because I didn't follow my own advice and tell people in my life that I was doing one, first off. Second, I didn't address stress appropriately. So, my Whole100 has an added dimension this time. I'm also doing yoga and/or meditation daily during it (or at least until I have my baby, then I may not get to that daily).

A little about myself: I'm a stay-at-home mom with a 2 1/2 year old very smart and active little girl. I'm about 30 weeks pregnant with a boy. I have a long list of food allergies and sensitivities, which is why I stay mostly paleo to begin with. However, I have a wicked problem with sugar and no matter how long I quit the stuff, the moment I eat it again I am hooked like nothing ever changed. So, the biggest goal of this Whole100 is to dump sugar for good. I need to mentally move it to the dairy and wheat category - both foods that make me very sick and I can't touch, period.

My secondary goal is a little more vain. I want to set myself up with the cleaning eating so that I find it easier to lose the pregnancy weight. Last August/September, I did a Whole50 and managed to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight right before I got pregnant again. My sister-in-law is getting married about 4 months postpartum and I'd like to slim down at least a little by then!

So, today was my Day 1:

B: homemade sausage scramble with onions and mushrooms, a little bit of applesauce

L: chocolate chili loaded with veggies and butternut squash

D: Puerto Rican beef out of Everyday Paleo

I did a very relaxing yoga class this evening. Definitely a great way to kick off that part of the challenge!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with a bit of vanity motivation : ) we are looking at having a trip to Fiji towards the end of May, swimwear is a powerful motivator here at the moment.

I'm doing my 2 nd whole 30 (1st Jan this year) and currently on day 15, my biggest issues are my sweet tooth/after dinner snack habits although part of me does wonder if I am making myself more sensitive to sugars by reducing them so much from my diet. Hmm

I'm also a SAHM, my eldest is 4 and my baby turns 2 in June. Both would just as happily eat Primal as SAD. It gets harder in social situations and I find my self being 'that parent' that freaks out at the luminous purple cupcake.

Hello!

I'm so excited to be starting this Whole30! If you're nosey you'd like to know a little more see this link:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8473-please-tell-me-its-possible/

In short, I need to kick this sugar addiction along with lowering stress levels. My other reason, is somewhat vain (aren't we all at least a little?!) - I'm getting married in September =)

On Monday night, I had a sugar binge (it's what kind of spurred all of this) and so yesterday I decided to fast. It was not with the intention of starving myself, but I just wanted to give my body a freaking break. And, honestly, it just felt good to not be thinking about food! I stayed hydrated with lots of water and tea. I had one kombucha and a spoonful of almond butter before bed, so I wouldn't wake up hungry. I slept horribly the night before, which lead to an eeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrly bedtime last night. I slept for about 11 hrs - it was a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

I feel great today! Will check in later with today's eats ;)

Thanks Casey, for starting this thread :)

Yeah... I know about the sugar binges. I think I did it so bad on Monday that I literally felt defeated yesterday. I'm feeling better today, though.

Congrats on the coming wedding! How exciting!

Day 2:

B: chocolate chili with butternut squash

L: leftover Puerto Rican beef

D: W30 approved bacon, brussels sprouts and a banana!

My daughter and I picked up our weekly produce basket from our Co-op and usually that means I eat a banana straight from it. It is the only way I can be sure I actually get one now that she's in love with the song. "Apples and Bananas." :) I'm trying to be easy on the fruit right now in hopes it will help lessen the sugar cravings!

Hi everyone - I started the whole 30 on monday and I got off track today. I just couldn't defeat the cravings. I am starting again tomorrow and this is my first whole 30. I decided to start this program since I have a severely unhealthy relationship with food, especially soda. Since my dad died last year I have gain over 70 lbs. I feel so defeated by food and I need something that will allow me to regain control. My husband is semi on board but if I even mention that I want sugar he runs out and gets it because its an excuse for him to have it, so there is not alot of support from him. I have two small children and work 40 hrs a week so that also makes things a little more difficult. I know I can do this but sometimes you just need someone who will hold you accountable. I hope you don't mind me joining your group? I am also going to start a journal to track my cravings and try to pin point what triggers them. I hope that this time I will be alittle more prepared for the slumps that come in the first week!

Jennifer - planning and preparation is key. Get yourself a fridge full of cooked up meat and veg that you can just go to and eat from and you are a long way there. It's tough, but do-able.

KLO - wedding plans...yay..and good motivation : )

So day 16? I think here

M1 chicken blueberry sausage/patties, sweet potato, cauliflower, spinach and kale coconut oil , coffee

WO: weight training

Post work out snack chicken breast, sweet potato

M2: jimica-slaw, choc chilli burgers

M3: not sure yet, something with chicken I think.

Need more sleep and looking to re-group on cutting some fruit out.

glimmer - thanks for the advice. I don't think I caved because I didn't plan, I had my lunch packed and dinner prepped already. I just caved to the cravings. They got so intense that I couldn't stand it, and I am sure they were a direct result of stress. But at work its hard to do things that will relieve stress. I am more determined than ever this time after the night I had last night, my sleeping was minimal, I don't know if its because of the caffeine/sugar/grains but I am going to attribute my bad night of sleep to that. So far so good this morning!

Jenn - the sugar cravings are definitely hard to get through, but they do get better and actually it happens rather quickly. I definitely get the cravings that feel so intense that you can't hardly function until you cave. Making sure you are full on healthy foods (and go easy on the fruit during times like that!) will help you move past them. Believe me, they really do end.

Do you get the Whole30 daily emails? They are so very helpful to keep you on track and well worth the money.

Glad you joined the group! It does help to have people who can relate going through the experience with you.

Glimmer - what are these chicken blueberry sausage things you speak of? That sounds amazing! And, yay for breaking the half way point!

Today is Day 3. I had a doctor's visit that took two stupid hours. I was starving by the end of it, then had to sit in traffic on the way home. So, dinner is a little confusing this evening as I am eating a snack right now.

Sugar cravings were actually pretty manageable today. I think it helped that it was a nice day (finally) and we spent a good chunk of it outside.

B: homemade sausage/onion/mushroom scramble, cherry tomatoes and half a banana

L: leftover Puerto Rican beef and sweet potato!

S: the little bit of chocolate chili leftover

D: should be pork steaks, broccoli and probably asparagus if it is still good.

Time to fire up the grill!

So anyone can join this group right??

Hi I'm Meghan. I am a mother of two beautiful and rambunctious toddlers and I work full time as a nurse in a trauma ICU. I started this whole 30 challenge because I want to feel healthy and have more energy throughout the day. I have also been having terrible mood swings since my last pregnancy and hope to gain control over them.

I am just ending day 4 and feeling really spacey and have little ability to concentrate. I would attribute it to the sugar detox, but I have been eating mostly Paleo since mid December. I did indulge in a few pieces of dark chocolate from time to time and had 1-2 glasses of wine a few times a week. But I didn't think the detox phase would be too bad. Maybe I am not eating enough? I feel like I ate all day long today.

Here is my day: woke up at 5am, to the gym for a 3 mile interval run (approx 30 min). Then to work for 12 hours. I ate a banana before my run.

breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs and sweet potato hash browns (really just a roasted sweet potato cut up real small)

snack: raw almonds

lunch: 1 1/2 chicken breast with 1/2 avocado and 1 tomato

snack: celery sticks with almond butter

dinner: spinach salad with peppers, cucumbers, scallion and dressing (evoo, balsamic and dijon mustard) with tuna and 1/2 avocado.

Any thoughts? Will this brain dead feeling go away soon?? I remember the initial detox when starting Paleo and I felt like I had the flu or something, but I don't remember ever feeling this dumb!! I am not even sure this post makes sense :)

Thanks!

Hi, Meghan! Welcome to the group!

I would definitely give it time to pass. In July of last year, the only non-Whole30 foods I was eating was dark chocolate and Diet Coke, but when I went into the August Whole30 I managed to feel the effects of just cutting these things out. I know I didn't feel so great the first week and was surprised by it. So hang in there for at least a week before you start troubleshooting it. Perhaps the little bit you were doing really was enough to need to detox from.

I think going Paleo helped my postpartum depression that I was still experiencing last year, almost 2 years after having my daughter, but it wasn't until I did the Whole30 completely that I finally moved past all that. So, hopefully you will see the improvements you seek there too!

Hi Meghan! - I had that same spacey issue on day 2 and 3. I found when I ate fruit it went away but I was sure to eat the fruit that had the lowest sugar indexes.

Hi Casey - I do need to try and stay away from fruits during this I think so that I can adjust to life without sugar, I am just not sure if eliminating it will help me curb my sugar demon or if I just get it through fruit will allow me to learn how to moderate it. I have read alot on this forum that people still have issues with sugar after this challenge. I do have the emails and I can't tell you how much it sucked to click the link for not eating clean that day. This time around my cravings are more manageable. I am only getting them when habits trigger them, like going to a movie.

Have a great day everyone!

Casey, I am glad to hear that whole 30 helped with your ppd. I am (and I am sure my husband and kids are too) hoping that I can get over these mood swings.

I am sure I could have tried deep breathing or yoga, but why not torture myself with no wine and chocolate for 30 days?!

Just kidding...

Day 5 almost done! But just realized that the organic chicken sausage that I bought has evaporated cane juice in it... I guess its another chicken breast for me tonight! I never realized how much sugar was in EVERYTHING! Evil sugar empire!

Day 4 and I was doing great with sugar cravings until this afternoon/evening. Hanging in there, though!

O.k.... as I was typing that one of my cats stepped out of the bathroom with a "necklace" around her waist. Apparently, my daughter has linked some bath toys together and dressed up the cat. Oh, why do I never have a camera on me when I need it!

Day 4:

B: salmon, cooked spinach and an orange

L: lettuce-wrapped burger with tomato and onion, sweet potato

D: grilled eggplant with tomato/meat sauce

I ate a very big lunch today, so that really helped keep me together this afternoon! Hope everyone else had a great day!

Hey Casey:

Just found this.....hope you are feeling well with the pregnancy. Vega get an Easter basket???? I will jump in here with you now, as well but I keep a separate log for me because it's easier for me to figure out why one day is better than others based on what I eat!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Casey and I met on the forums last year and have become fast forum buddies ever since. Even though we don't live near one another or are even in the same age group or life group....our commonalities with the food is so similar, we quickly bonded! Great to be back here with you Casey!

Yay, Donna! Are you planning on just doing 30 days or are you thinking you might go longer? You're on day 22 now, aren't you? Awesome!

I'm sure Vega will be getting a lot of Easter stuff when we hit the grandparents today. They go overboard with the grandkids. :)

Yesterday was Day 5 and I had some major sugar cravings. It was rough to get through!

B: leftover pork steak with broccoli

L: leftover roasted eggplant and meat/tomato sauce, plus two bananas (yeah, I started to abuse fruit yesterday)

D: cauliflower crust pizza thing with homemade sauce, homemade sausage, olives and pineapple.

I'm getting bored with cauliflower, but we keep getting it in our produce basket so now I have to come up with new ways to use it.

Today is Day 6! I started out the day feeling crabby, but I think that has more to do with sleeping badly just about every night. I have hip pain again despite physical therapy and yoga. I actually think yoga and walking makes it worse, but I don't want to give either up. Only two more months or so of pregnancy to go, so I'll just ride it out like I did the first time around (I had horrible hip pain during my first pregnancy too).

Today I have beef roast with carrots and turnips ready to take with me to the Grandparent's. I know they will have virtually nothing that is compliant available to eat, so I'm prepared! No, chocolate Easter bunny, I will not let you hop into my stomach! :P

Casey, day 6.....kudos! The worst is over......I think I will keep going on because I feel great and really there is no reason not to keep going. I will do it one day at a time and not think about how long because I have to keep the focus on the present.

Cauliflower, you can rice it and mash it as your pretend carb. Check the paleo websites as I am sure they have some great ways to vary it. I haven't had cauliflower in a while so I will purchase some. Some of my main stay foods are cabbage, brussel's sprouts, all squashes, beets, roots (parsnips, rutabegas) to be my carb substitutes. Don't forget sweet potatoes! with ghee and cinnamon! Have a great day! Yes today is Day 22.....got to get through Easter fest :)

Hi all,

Can I join too? I am on day 4 of my first ever 30 days. It s going ok so far. I had major headaches on day 2 and have a dull one today it apart from that's have felt better already.

Forgot to buy extra yesterday and have almost rainout of food! Off to my friends tomorrow night who is as thin as a bean pole and 6ft. I am at my worst with her as she eats take outs and chocolate but the book has made me think about how healthy she is inside! We used to get called frodo and billbobaggins due to out stature! Want to change that now for good.

Happy eating everyone x

Wow, today was rough. More than I expected it to be, actually.

I'll start with meals:

B: homemade sausage, spinach and sweet potato

L: coffee roast (this thing was dry and terrible!) with roasted carrots and turnips

S: more of the carrots and turnips

I haven't made dinner yet and I'm not sure what I'm going to eat. I'll figure something easy out. Everyone else has eaten, so I'm just figuring it out for myself, luckily.

We went to the in-law grandparent's house. That's always a completely forbidden food zone. Everything has wheat and/or dairy in it. I basically always have to bring my own food. But, today, for some bizarre and totally unexpected reason, they bought gluten- and dairy- free brownies for me. I didn't eat them even though my husband's grandma is the type that sets food on your plate and then watches to see if you eat it. As soon as she plopped a brownie down, my husband (who had already told her I was doing a Whole30 and not eating sugar) grabbed it and put it on his plate. So, she set another one down. I didn't touch them and instead focused on cleaning up my daughter. But, she asked me repeatedly why I wouldn't eat it. I finally told her I was stuffed and couldn't eat another bite. Yep, she is definitely the hardest person to do a Whole30 around!

I did have a slip today, but it was weird and unintentional. In the 13 years I've been going to their house, they always have unsweetened tea with dinner. Today, I took a big gulp of the tea and was shocked when I discovered it was grossly sweet. Completely loaded with excessive amounts of sugar. Yeah... I dumped out the tea after that and got water. That kind of sucked because I was actually in the mood for a little caffeine!

So, I was surrounded by chocolate cakes and brownies, and then later chocolate bunnies were broken out - which meant my sister-in-law and I had to quickly hide these stupid things from the three toddlers they were given to. Brilliant! I managed to hide my daughter's bunny in the trash without anyone noticing. She's not going to eat 3 oz of chocolate and I don't need it anywhere near me!

I survived. I felt pretty overwhelmed at times, but I did it.

Casey,

My day was rough too...I was at my sister's house and there was plenty of compliant food and it was easy for me to stay compliant but the sights, the smells, oh my.....and the egging on.....oh, It's Easter, c'mon have some cake.....blah blah blah.....But I held on and did great....Another victory but an emotional hangover today.....my mom gave me a one pound box of chocolates from the place of my childhood which has the BEST chocolate on earth...I gave it to my husband and this morning was jealous to see the wrapping paper opened on the table and the box missing..... :angry: so it's the emotional side of things that stink....how are you doing after the tea issue? any cravings? It was such a small amount, and totally innocent.

Hi all,

So today is day 5 am staying at a friends for a few days and when I got here she had no food. As its bank holiday everywhere was shut. She did have 14 chocolate eggs 2 chocolate cakes and a lemon drizzle cake!!!!! Eeeeek. So I wanted to save the eggs I bought for breakfast tomorrow so I have had very little today I had a late mornin so meal 1 was meal 2 at 12 i slept soooooo poorly last night I couldn't get up. Then had meal 2/3 at 3 and have had nuts and an apple as it was too late for a can I mackerel. Will space my meals out alot better tomorro. Lesson learnt! Happy eating everyone. Xxx

good luck Hedgehog....that's tough stuff. A Whole 30er needs to be a scout and always be prepared! I travel with a bag of raw almonds, a piece of fruit, a jar of almond butter and veggies....lots of water too. Can never be too careful. Sometimes I get stuck at places and I go to my car rations....especially if there is tempting treats around as you named! :unsure:

Yes, I usually travel with a can of tuna. It has definitely come in handy from time to time!

Donna - I totally had the emotional hangover thing today, too, but having that box of chocolates go home with you must have been really hard! We had a bag of candy come home with us and I promptly trashed it. I didn't even leave it for my husband to take to work today.

I've had sugar cravings today, but worse I've just felt moments of anger. I don't know if it is totally pregnancy related, though! My daughter hid my keys this morning and it took over an hour to find them. That didn't go well.

I've eaten a lot of chocolate chili today and leftover roast, carrots and turnips. I've been snacking on all these throughout the day instead of just eating meals. I think I snack a lot on days I feel sugar cravings and anger at the same time. :( Oh well, hanging in there!!

...my Whole100 has an added dimension this time. I'm also doing yoga and/or meditation daily during it (or at least until I have my baby, then I may not get to that daily).

This part made me laugh. It is exponentially harder with two. Not in the very beginning when the newborn is just a sweet little bean, but it's a WHOLE 'nother thing to get used to versus having one. Then again, if you have a really strong practice I can't think of anything better for two kid-dom than daily yoga and meditation!

I am also starting meditation. What do you do? Guided? I'm thinking about getting one of the Kabat-Zinn audio meditations. I have *started* several of his books and like him. Haha. The road to hell is paced with the best intentions and all that...

Anyway. I think it's awesome you are doing this while pregnant. When I was pg with #2 I kept trying to get back to healthy eating and I'd go for a week or so and fall back to eating bagels. In the last few weeks I think I lived solely on crackers and cream cheese. I wish I'd known about this program! I was still under the impression I was ok with grains. Sigh.

I'll catch up with the thread now.

I have also been having terrible mood swings since my last pregnancy and hope to gain control over them.

I am just ending day 4 and feeling really spacey and have little ability to concentrate.

breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs and sweet potato hash browns (really just a roasted sweet potato cut up real small)

snack: raw almonds

lunch: 1 1/2 chicken breast with 1/2 avocado and 1 tomato

snack: celery sticks with almond butter

dinner: spinach salad with peppers, cucumbers, scallion and dressing (evoo, balsamic and dijon mustard) with tuna and 1/2 avocado.

Any thoughts? Will this brain dead feeling go away soon??

Meghan, (I'm Meghan too!) are you eating enough fat? I don't see any fat except fat from nuts. You already went through this, I know, but eating enough fat really helps the detox--and you need it for fuel especially if you are running.

I'm behind on the thread but I hope you are feeling better.

Archived