Whole30 Groups are the Best

CaseyD

As usual for me I am getting all jammed up on the details: do I keep my log here or separate? I can't decide. I like keeping my deep-seated issues apart from friendly chatting :unsure: , but at the same time I'd like feedback on my eating. Hmm. I'll play with that. Apologies for multiple posts. I'm nervous about today and can't seem to step away from the forum.

Casey, I am sooo impressed with your ability to resist the Easter treats! Especially while pregnant. Not that being pregnant makes you want sweets more, but I always seemed to use it as an excuse. Breastfeeding too. I guess that's why I'm still two sizes over where I want to be and my daughter is almost two. Bravo!

About your hip, have you ever tried this DVD? It's yoga for the lower back and hips and is excellent, extremely effective, and short. I just ordered my third copy after giving away my other copies. I have been crawling on the floor in pain, unable to walk (I have piriformis and IT Band issues, an old knee injury that's always throwing my back out of whack--all of which got worse when I was pg) and then after I do this little routine I'll be up and walking around without issue.

Donna, I also travel with a bag of raw almonds and some grass-fed jerky sticks. But I need to add to the emergency snack pile. I also need to branch into the non-tuna canned fish. I have made dips with sardines that involve entire sticks of cream cheese but I haven't ever gotten into them plain. Maybe this is my time!

Hedgehog, great job at your friend's! True, planning ahead always helps but for me turning down food in social situations is the hardest. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings or come off like a zealot. I still hold onto the idea of myself as the carefree person who shirks authority and will get drunk on a Tuesday night, etc. It's so childish but I will fall back into that roll around my friends. Nice work turning down that yummy sounding cake.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I have a picture to show myself what I have done! Also the only thing in the fridge this morning was chocolate eggs and my hard boiled ones! Don't worry I reached for the right ones. What oils does everyone cook with? X day 6 now and I feel good. Thanks for all your replies and mentions in comments it's really kind of you c

Beets - you should join us! Are you starting today? I've been all over the boards for the last week. I think pregnancy does make my sugar cravings worse because it seems like it is taking longer for them to calm down.

I'll check out the video you mentioned. Thanks! I take classes at a studio, but it seems like all of a sudden my hips are getting worse when they had been getting better. This is an issue I've been dealing with for a while with my IT Bands, and therapy seemed to help before but now it seems nothing is working. I'll see about that video. I'm willing to try just about anything now!

I'm sure I'm in for a shock adjusting from one kid to two, but the plan is to do yoga teacher training next year starting in June. Luckily, my husband helps me get the time in to do it, so it will just be about how exhausted I feel that gets in the way! I've been doing yoga for 14 years or so now, so I feel like I should just take this next step. I've been amazed at how much I can handle this pregnancy v.s. my first, though. I didn't want to do any exercise with my first, but this time I manage to do a lot!

Hedgehog - Great job! I don't think I could last having chocolate in my house right now. As for oils, I cook with coconut oil mostly, but sometimes grass fed tallow or lard. You can also use ghee for cooking.

I think I lost count here. I think I'm on Day 9 now. This has been a trying day with my daughter. Within the first 20 minutes after I got up this morning, she managed to dump out the recycling, unrolled most of a role of toilet paper (she never does this!), and went #2 on the bathroom on the floor. Sometimes I think she reverts into some wild, primal animal that has never seen civilization before. That has set the tone for the day, unfortunately. Today would be a day would "self medicate" with chocolate, but I'm hanging in there instead. I still have to figure out what the heck I'm making for dinner (bad on me, I need to be planning a little better right now). I'll post my meals later.

Hope everyone has a great, healthy day!

I am also starting meditation. What do you do? Guided? I'm thinking about getting one of the Kabat-Zinn audio meditations. I have *started* several of his books and like him. Haha. The road to hell is paced with the best intentions and all that...

Beets - have you tried TM (transcendental meditation)? I have had a hardtime with meditations in the past, not being able to relax, not having a clear mind, etc. But after finding this... well it has been a life changer. I have also started to look into going to Buddhism meetings since they guide mediation at those as well. They have them all over if your interested in mediation meetings.

Hello people!

Today is day 24, and I am having a good day. Emotional hangover gone! First, welcome to Beets and Hedgehog. Casey and I know that being accountable on the forum is far better than going solo and we have done this successfully in groups before. It makes all the difference to have your own cheer leading squad! Yoga ladies, I need to start. I look afar with yearning. I feel like a big clutz!....but I know it's a mind thing so I must try it again....every time I do yoga when I am done I think, why don't I do this every day????

Beets: I am from NJ so we are close in locales.

Hedgehog: Are you from the US? I know this is quite an international forum....

Casey: I think my emotional hangover is done. My hubs hid the chocolates or took them to work...out of sight, out of mind!

Now I don't normally snack between meals after the first few weeks, but I had a light lunch and grabbed a handful of raw almonds...Yum! And a tall glass of ice water. The chill is back in the air after a tease of 62 degrees yesterday. I can't wait for spring to arrive fully and hopefully, stay spring. Lately, we have jumped from winter to summer with very hot springs. I love the cool crisp spring air. My sister gave me a Hyacinth for Easter and it is wafting through my home....I love it!

So as for everyone's struggles, hang in there! Think to yourself, just for the next 5 minutes I can do this....The first week is really hard, the second week is tough but not as physical with the cravings, just emotional. Let's face it. This food is manufactured to get us to be addicted so why wouldn't we detox off it like drugs or alcohol. I was telling my family about the diet at EAster because they were all staring at my plate like I was crazy. Mind you I am in my fifties....my parents, sisters, brothers in law, nieces nephews couldn't believe I had gone 21 days without alcohol, sugar, dairy, beans, grains, etc...I tried to explain the premise of the detox and our intestinal health etc....they were like, no way could we do that. So kudos to all of us. It shows great inner strength! Carry on....

I think I'll jump in on this thread if you don't mind. I'm currently on Day 34 and still going -- more than likely to 60+ although I'd love to do a 100. But I have a week's vacation coming up over Memorial Day Weekend and I'd like to do a bit of reintroduction before then so I can make informed choices when I have to. After that, it's back to this way of eating, because I'm absolutely loving it!

I'm adding more motion into my life this month, too. The weather is finally turning, and walking the dogs will become a daily event again, instead of "whenever it's above 10F and not windy." They love it, I love it, and it's good for all three of us. I'm trying to do more stretching in the morning, and incorporating a few easy yoga moves I've seen to eventually be able to take some classes or do a whole routine at home. For the moment, three to five minutes is all I can handle. I'm trying to walk as much as I can at my job, though, and accept more physical chores than I have been doing... because frankly, after dropping ten pounds I feel capable of doing more again. But I have to take it slow and steady or I'll have an adrenal fatigue crash. Baby steps!

Beets, I love the talks and meditation classes at audiodharma.org Gil Fronsdal is my favorite teacher. His five part Intro to Meditation is what I used to start on the path. I've read and loved Kabet-Zinn too, and some of his stuff is available on Youtube if you want to check it out first.

I've had an extremely stressful family time the last week -- one of those things that happens that makes you go "oh, we're going to be one of THOSE families now" lol -- so I just have to share that in the past, I would have been stuffing my face with donuts or entire bags of chips due to the anxiety and stress. This time? No cravings for that, not even a thought about it. I stayed compliant, I ate compliant, and possibly the most "anxiety eating" I did was a couple of handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut. But that was because I just discovered it! Yum! I'm so grateful to this way of eating, and I hope I've changed my relationship with food forever. Seriously.

BTW, anyone have suggestions for incorporating that coconut in meals? I'm loving it!

Figured I'd jump in here too. My name is Jessica and I just finished my first whole 30 on march 24th and am still continuing. The month went great as I lost close to 18 lbs and lost a total of eleven inches off my waist.

I no longer crave sugar, and I can easily pass all the junk food up. I'm quite proud of myself. I haven't given in to the occasional treat yet as I really don't want to bring those cravings back.

Starting out was rough it took me close to two weeks before I hit the boundless energy stage but it was worth it. I still dream about food which I find hilarious. Of course it's always dreaming about soda or cakes and other junk. How's that for your subconscious telling you to go back to old ways!

Good Morning!

What are you all having for breakfast today?

I'm having a 2 egg omelet this morning with steak, a bit of peppers and onions.

Looking for a quick way to make omelets for your family? Buy quart size ziplock freezer bags. Break your eggs into them (only two per bag) then seal and squish your eggs until they are blended. Open your bag and add your fillings. Make sure you squeeze all the air out of your bag then once your water is boiling drop the bags into boiling water. After 13 minutes they will be finished. You can cook roughly 12 at a time.

Day 2 for me. Good morning everybody.

I'm having the sweet pot hash from nom nom paleo. I'm not loving it. I think it's a texture thing. It's dry. Or maybe the wrong spice combo for me. I added some roasted chicken thigh to it because yesterday I got hungry mid-morning. And a fried egg. Which is really hard to cook apparently? I have been cooking for a long time, enjoy, think I'm pretty good at it (just following directions, mostly) but I've never eaten or prepared fried eggs before. I need to find a good tutorial. Makes me laugh because it seems so basic.

Speaking of cooking I've had a pork butt in the oven all night. I put it on 200 instead of 250 (was too tired to check the recipe before I went to bed) so I turned it up and now my apartment is smelling yummy. I'm also making slow-roasted cherry tomatoes.

Ok so I'm going to log my food here. Maybe I'll keep the other log for rambling explorations of self.

Thanks everybody for the meditation suggestions. I am going to check it out. We have a yoga studio around the corner that does free meditations Sunday morning so maybe that will be where I start. I just got a $35 unlimited monthly pass to my other studio from Amazon. (Usually $125--so quite a deal!)

Donna, I am from Jerz as well! Glen Ridge, near Bloomfield/Montclair. What about you? Don't worry about feeling like a spaz in yoga. One of the biggest lessons in yoga is making it your own practice and not worrying about what other people are doing. Such a great way to view everything, right?

Jenn, I am definitely interested in Buddhism. I just have a really hard time getting out of the house so I need to prioritize. Have you seen The Buddha movie? It was on PBS. Richard Gere narrates. I love it. When I had to the stomach flu a couple weeks ago I watched it again. It has beautiful animation and it's really informative. (I studied Religion in college, so that's kind of my thing anyway.)

How are you doing, by the way, with your restart? So much of this is mental. You really have to have your head in the game. I have found self-hypnosis helps me. I had two kids without meds and I credit the relaxation, self-hypnosis work I did.

Casey, I guess having more cravings would make sense with all of the hormones flooding your body. I had been off wheat for almost a year when I got pregnant with #2. I was so sick for most of the pregnancy and the only thing I could eat was bagels. SAlads turned my stomach. I probably could have powered through it (like carbs begot exhaustion begot carb-cravings) but I didn't. Still, I managed to keep my exercise up and was in pretty good shape throughout. Then it all fell apart. Lack of sleep is killer.

Right on about yoga teacher training! I have thought about that a few times. Like, everytime I get into yoga. I started almost 20 years ago, right after college, but I've been very sporadic about it. I am really curious about Mysore and when my son starts all-day K in the fall I want to go for it if I can find a studio near me.

KAyjay, I use some coconut milk in my meals. (Like in the curry I ate last night.) But I'm not sure about shredded coconut. I saw something on Clothes Make the Girl where she rolled meatballs in toasted coconut. Hope your stressful family situation is not still out of control! I have a lot of issues with my son's behavior and school starts back today after Easter break. UGH.

Jessica, I wish my kids would eat omelets! Thanks for that idea. Maybe some day... Nice work on your W30. Wow. Great results. I am toying with extending mine as long as possible. I do better within a strict structure.

This is really long! Hope you all have great days.

P.S. I woke up really really tired this morning after dreaming about mashed potatoes. I really really wanted coffee. I usually make a big pot so my husband can take a thermos, but I couldn't handle it this am. I got some Yerba MAte from an herbalist who suggested it to help me wean off coffee. I don't want to sub one addiction for another so I made myself wait as long as possible.

P.P.S. I am amazed by the difference in my belly (inside and outside) after just a day without dairy. (Or coffee?) I think I may have to stay off dairy. :(

Beets-- I have to agree with you, the more strict I am the better I seem to do. I hate to look at something as a diet and try to look at it as a lifestyle. Which I believe I can actually stick to this, I'll probably allow the ocasional treat eventually but it's going to have to be something I really want. So far the only thing I've really wanted was a shamrock shake from McDonald's but I've resisted that urge. I think the only reason why I wanted it was because I walk past the sign every day.

Thinking of mashed potatoes, if you want something similar try mashed cauliflower. All you do is boil the cauliflower til really soft then use a hand blender or food processor to mash it. Use some ghee, garlic, and salt though.

Yes, I've learned that the closer I stay to this way of eating (as in, Whole30 clean), the better I feel in general. I have a history of depression (and pregnancy does not help with that!) and when I eat this clean, it improves dramatically. But, if I start adding in even a little sugar or canola oil, I start to see my mood slip. It has to be that tight for me, which can get annoying and difficult at times. I'm trying to change my mind and see this as a therapeutic thing I need to do for my health and the health of my family, really. It's true that a happy mom/wife means a happy family. I notice everyone else in my house seems to fall apart if I am not doing well! So that's motivation for me too.

What is this, Day 10 for me? Ha, I'm keeping track of what number day just about as well as I'm keeping track of what number week of my pregnancy I'm on. :P Anyway, I'm feeling very good today. Yesterday was awful in just about every way possible! I was so glad when I woke up this morning and felt like leaping out of bed. I think my daughter was glad too. She was very upset by my mood the last couple days (she's very sensitive) and started out this morning crying. But, when she realized that mommy is doing great today, she quickly cheered up and has been in a great mood since. I hope that's the magic starting to set in!

I'm still having sugar cravings, but they kind of just feel like this annoying little pest I have to swat away now and then.

Collegegal- Oh my gosh, I live very close to a McDonald's. You can smell the stupid place from my backyard sometimes! That was my "drug of choice" for a long time after I had my daughter. I ate there so much the first year and a half of her life. It was a real battle for me to finally give it up, despite the fact that I knew it was making me sick.

Hi all!

Today is Day 25 and I am happy to have some new people joining us here for fun and support...

Casey: Glad you are coming around and feeling better. I hate the first week and a half of the W30. Like others, I want to keep going because I don't want to detox AGAIN.....

Beets: I am from Edison originally but now live by Princeton....small world!

Jessica: 18 lbs and 11 inches!!!! holy cow that is amazing. No matter you are keeping doing this. Those are great stats.

Hedgehog: welcome from across the pond and keep up the great work.

KayJay: Welcome to our group and you are way ahead of me. I admire your desire to keep doing this. I hope to do the same.

Annabel: Hello, come join us!

So, today I went for a massage. I belong to a place with monthly massages. I LOVE them. I feel she detoxed my muscles and now am drinking tons of water to get the crud out of my system....I need to go grocery shopping as my supply is dwindling. Tonight we had compliant grilled sausage, onions and peppers, grilled root veggies (beets, parsnips, rutebegas). Hope all are doing great,

Peace!

Have to say today went fantastic, but that's pretty normal now it seems. It's funny going to college at night and watching people around me shove their faces full of junk and caffeine and yet they complain that they are exhausted. I find I get through just fine now and I get a fantastic nights sleep. Plus it is much easier falling asleep. I do on occasion wake up still in the middle of the night but I can usually convince myself to go back to sleep. It's weird how sometimes I can wake up at 2-3am full of energy. The thing I don't miss, waking up several times a night to pee!

Has anyone noticed that their sense of smell has changed during the whole 30?

Today is starting out great for me. I had a pastured ham steak (I got a half hog in January, so all the meat in it is W30 compliant!) and sweet potato for breakfast. Woke up feeling a little sore from yoga last night so I think I'm going to take it a little easier on that front today, but I'm in a great mood again!

My daughter is spending the day with grandparents (she begged me to go over there and they were around, luckily), so I get to do lots of running around to stores today. Grocery shopping, getting some mulch and then having fun getting some stuff for the next baby (the best part). So, good day ahead, too!

Hope everyone else is having a great day today too. I think Spring is finally coming for our area, so between that and the whole nesting thing, I just want to get a bunch of stuff done!

I'm blah today.

I got the Day 3 email and it said this is one of the hardest days. I'm feeling the effects now of my weekend binge on cheese and crackers and chocolate.

I've never been into fried eggs before but I have been enjoying them. Loved my egg this morning over skillet roasted sprouts. The sprouts were a little burnt on the edges and yum Im craving more. Oh and sausage from the farmers' market (no sugar or anything non W30). Amazing sausage.

But oh! I wanted some yogurt this morning. Made a batch for my kids yesterday while cooking dinner and it came out perfect. Looked dreamy. I'm hoping I discover I can tolerate a bit of fermented dairy when this is over.

Yay for baby clothes! I was just thinking I'd love to have a newborn just to swaddle in delicious soft wools. (Set off by got an email regarding a sale on Disana wools; they make the yummiest baby blankets.) But I'm done with two kiddos. My body was made to have babies; my brain was not. :-/

Ok. Bye guys! Glad you are all feeling good. Hope to be there in a day or so myself.

Um... my daughter decided to get up for the day at 3 a.m. this morning. That was a special treat?

I'm dragging today. But, I guess for dragging I'm doing pretty good. I managed to plant my raspberry bushes and do up the whole area around them. It has a nice fence for them to grow on and flowers in front, plus everything is mulched all pretty. I also get to clean the house tonight because we're having a pot luck tomorrow. Not to mention I've had to cook all meals today because there are no leftovers. How's that for 4 hours of sleep!

I'm reading a very good book right now that is totally not what I expected. It's "The Paleo Coach." I thought this book was just going to be about paleo fitness, so I haven't gotten around to checking it out, but then I saw an interview with the author and discovered he focuses on why people struggle to make the right choices when going paleo. (As in, why we let the sugar dragon win out or can't just stick with the program). I started reading last night and I'm just cruising through it. I highly recommend this book so far. It has definitely spoken to me and is making me feel like I'm starting to be armed with the correct tools to really, finally stick to being paleo for once and for all. I just never thought in the ways this book suggests before.

Anyway, thought I'd recommend this read. Got to go back to my busy day!

Today was my non class day... Truthfully I did nothing and man it felt good. Even got a nap in (burning calories anyone)? Today for dinner I did a zuchini, sausage, and kale bake. YUM!

This weekend will be crazy with homework, grocery shopping, and cooking.

Hoping everyone is doing well and staying on track!

Book sounds good! I am starting to think about how I'll stick with this way of eating on this level. I know I will feel like crap if I eat things I'm not eating now, but that has never stopped me before.

My day was brutal. Raging headache. Daughter knocked my late lunch to the ground while a hot cheesy pizza sat on the table. But I held strong! Despite all the voices telling me to grab something quick. Phew. Another day. Hoping today was the worst of the caffeine withdrawal headache.

A little nervous about the weekend. At least my husband is mostly with me Paleo-wise (if not parenting...) while he's home.One good thing: I am feeling a lot more positive. My so. Has had some behavior issues but I just felt so good about him today. And he has a loose toof! Craziness.

How is everyone doing? Just finished day 12! It is going by pretty fast and i haven't gotten sick of the food or prep yet.... The last two days have been really bad cravings days though. Anyone else? I feel like if i am not careful i will find myself eating something like a warm delicious soft pretzel or a whole chocolate bunny! I keep having dreams that i eat something by accident. Last night it was a hoagie. I thought it would be so much easier by now. I also often find myself wondering why I started in the first place and maybe i didn't really need to.

Does anyone have any motivational words of wisdom?

How is everyone doing? Just finished day 12! It is going by pretty fast and i haven't gotten sick of the food or prep yet.... The last two days have been really bad cravings days though. Anyone else? I feel like if i am not careful i will find myself eating something like a warm delicious soft pretzel or a whole chocolate bunny! I keep having dreams that i eat something by accident. Last night it was a hoagie. I thought it would be so much easier by now. I also often find myself wondering why I started in the first place and maybe i didn't really need to.

Does anyone have any motivational words of wisdom?

Medleman,

I found the first 2-3 weeks to be the worst. Try snacking on carrot sticks when your craving something. I know it isn't exactly the same but it might help. Also make sure your drinking enough water and getting enough protein.

I too have had the food dreams, I think the funniest food dream I had was drinking diet soda out of one of those 4 cup glass measuring cups... I'm like really?

Believe it or not it does get easier, it just takes patience. If I hit a low point I just hop online and look at pictures of all the new clothes I'll be able to fit into now that I'm actually developing a figure. My plans is to actually buy a bikini this summer if I end up dropping the rest of the weight that I need to. I'm not so focused on losing weight as I am eating healthy but sure enough I am shedding some pounds. Keep your chin up and keep pushing through. You can do it!

Archived