First experience with ghee

AmyS

I have been Whole30ing, off and on, mostly on, since late September. But today was the first time I bought and cooked and ate with ghee.

It was quite a transformative experience. If you look toward Hawaii from wherever you are reading this, you may see a glow in the sky. That's because I've had such a transcendental awakening that the top of my head is shooting out rays of light into the night. Believe.

Seriously, that stuff is so freakin' awesome. I had scrambled eggs, which officially I hate unless they are smothered in non-compliant ketchup. Unofficially, I think that when cooked in ghee, they may be my new religion.

I'm off to set up an altar to the jar of ghee. A little candle, a sausage or two, some eggs, and a spoon.

:lol:

*Sigh* I just don't get it. I have tried both making ghee and buying organic ghee and :ph34r: I don't like it :ph34r:. I wonder if it's because i gave up dairy a couple of years before I tried W30. I thought I'd love it but I really don't like either the smell or taste

Amy, promise you'll never leave us! I love your posts. Thanks.

Kirsteen, it could very well be that you've been dairy-free for so long. Years ago, I was on a vegetarian kick for a couple of years. (Wound up severely anemic, because there was one amino acid I could neither make nor metabolize from my food, but that's another story.) After being meat-free for all that time, I couldn't even be around anyone cooking it. It smelled like rotting road kill to me. It was extremely difficult for me to learn to eat meat again because I couldn't get past that smell. I suspect you have the same issue with dairy.

*Sigh* I just don't get it. I have tried both making ghee and buying organic ghee and :ph34r: I don't like it :ph34r:. I wonder if it's because i gave up dairy a couple of years before I tried W30. I thought I'd love it but I really don't like either the smell or taste

I don't like it either! And I LOVE butter. But ghee just tastes like weak butter to me, like it's been diluted and is no longer as delicious. I'm cooking with it because I bought a jar and don't want to waste it, but it really isn't great. Maybe I'm just doin' it wrong...

I don't like it either! And I LOVE butter. But ghee just tastes like weak butter to me, like it's been diluted and is no longer as delicious. I'm cooking with it because I bought a jar and don't want to waste it, but it really isn't great. Maybe I'm just doin' it wrong...

I bought a little jar and wish I knew someone who wants it. My food does not smell appetizing at all with ghee in it. I may try one more time to buy the recommended stuff (I found organic and pastured at Whole Foods) and/or make my own when I can source good butter in a few months, For now, I want to be in love, but I'm just not.

Perhaps a few of us need to travel to Hawaii and pray at the ghee alter of AmyS.

Seriously Amy, I could eat a whole jar in one sitting..I love it that much. You should make your own. Your whole house will smell like lovely browned butter.

I have an easier time here finding pre-made ghee (the specific brand recommended by M&D) than I have finding pastured, grass-fed butter. Hence the decision to purchase.

Officially I'm sorry to hear this. Unofficially this means the global ghee market has more for me, so I'm OK with it. :P;)

Amy, promise you'll never leave us! I love your posts. Thanks.

You appreciate my drug-like experiences with new foods? Excellent. :lol:

Nope. Keep that up so I can have more. Unofficially of course!

I bought a little jar and wish I knew someone who wants it. My food does not smell appetizing at all with ghee in it. I may try one more time to buy the recommended stuff (I found organic and pastured at Whole Foods) and/or make my own when I can source good butter in a few months, For now, I want to be in love, but I'm just not.

Perhaps a few of us need to travel to Hawaii and pray at the ghee alter of AmyS.

The Hawaii Church of Ghee? I could totally get non-profit status for that. :lol:

For those who do not like ghee have you tried flavoring it? I added garlic to mine while letting it do it's thing on the stove(fish it out before it browned too much).. delicious! I am thinking about making other flavored ghees.

i haven't tried it but Marks Daily Apple has this recipe for tomato, garlic butter which should be ok with ghee. i keep meaning to try it but haven't got around to it yet. I keep thinking I might actually like it like that

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/tomato-garlic-butter/#axzz2Op1gDlBH

Yeah! I've solved the ghee issue. I took a bunch of baby tomatoes, halved them sprinkled them with a lot of garlic and some Italian herbs, melted some ghee over them and roasted them. I then processed them with the rest of the ghee. Now it doesn't taste like ghee :wacko: but is freakin delicious :wub: Today I chopped a swede, some carrots, leeks and beets, covered them in this and roasted them in the oven. i liked them so much I think i might even make more ghee (sorry Amy :P ) so that I can do this again.

This is very cruel. I just took my thyroid medicine and I can't eat for another 30 minutes. Hmph!

I am excited to say that I have my first garlic ghee in my oven (I do the oven method) and can't wait to saute my kale with it. :)

Confessions Of A Ghee Addict.

Confession: this morning I ate ghee instead of avocado as part of my breakfast. I feel like I'm having an affair. Avocado = main squeeze. Ghee = new flame. What ever shall I do???

Archived