Pre WO-Post WO meals, tri training and autoimmune protocol

paleotri

Hello,

So I am new here, I have been reading through some of the excellent posts regarding nutrition with training, though I need some guidance. I am currently training for half marathon which will then go straight into Ironman training for an event in August. I keep slipping off the plan related to carb intake and fueling my training... or at least having energy for training.

I would love some suggestions for pre/post meals, I am trying to limit eggs b/c I also have an autoimmune condition. Any tips would be helpful! Thank you!

Also I read that the primal pacs with nuts, jerky and dried fruit were Whole 30 approved would this be best pre or post ?

Thanks!!!

The recommendation is protein and fat before the workout (no carbs), carbs and protein after (no fat).

I do a hard boiled egg beforehand and lean protein (often london broil) + vegetables after, this varies, but, roasted sweet potato cubes, steamed broccoli or green beans, raw bell pepper and cherry tomatoes, etc. (this is also my meal #1).

In the past I've had packets (or partial packets) of cashew butter or coconut butter for preWO, which worked great for performance, I just think the egg is better for my current goals. If I couldn't have eggs now, I think I would try to do a fatty meat or fish (like maybe sardines or salmon?).

Either way, I would prioritize the post-workout nutition vs. pre. If you are eating enough at meals, the preWO portion should be a small amount just to signal to your body that it is time to burn some calories. It's after a workout when you really need to worry about replenishing your body quickly (thus the limit on fat, so the nutrition gets to your cells that much faster).

Yes, you can have limited amounts of jerky, dried fruit, etc. Just be aware of what your stomach can handle. --probably best to test things out well in advance of your race or event.

Autoimmune ideas are cold sliced chicken, meatballs, starchy squashes and sweet potatoes.

The AIP exclude all nuts, seeds, and eggs (plus other stuff of course). If you are trying to heal your digestion there really is no safe amount during the elimination phase. Unless I am mistaken and you have reintroduced things already.

I did my whole 30 in January and also started training for an Ironman January 1st. I am on week 14 of training at 13 hours a week of training. My favorite post workout meal is a sweet potato and chicken breast! It is perfect!! It is now April 3 and I would say I am 90% Whole 30 and 95% Paleo still and I do feel great even at these training levels. I only add in workout nutrition (fake Food) one workout a week my long bike run, today 4 hours. I have discovered how important the recovery is this time around and am actually eating something preworks that are even at 4:30 am. The pre work out is tuff and it is individual, I can not eat an egg and go run 11 miles at 4:30 in the morning. I do a half a banana with a scoop of Almond Butter. I seem to be able to tolerate that! I have never recovered better in all my years of training as I am now with eating this way!! Good Luck, what race are you doing? Lake Placid for us!

So cool to so long distance athletes here. Just finished a 50 mile ride on day 1. Trying to heal some joint issues with this plan and return to IM training or at least half ironman. Signed up for Raleigh 70.3 but my hip injury may stop that. Trying to drop 15 pounds in a couple months and heal this hip. I will be asking a ton of questions here. Good luck at Lake Placid!!!!

Archived