Not Losing Inches

Hi! I'm on Day 10 of the Whole 30 and I'm a little frustrated. I haven't lost any inches (I don't have a scale, so I haven't been weighing myself, but I do have a tape measure) and I still feel bloated and sluggish. I realized today that I haven't been following the meal planning guidelines. I've also been eating nuts every day. I think the only thing I've done that might be considered cheating is eat some pork rinds. I also eat quite a bit of fruit. Could these things be hindering my progress? I'm not overweight--I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" and was 124 lbs when I started, so I don't particularly care about the number on the scale. But my clothes have been tighter these days and I've had more stomach issues, so I thought I'd try Whole 30 after hearing great things from friends.

Typical breakfast is a few egg whites with some turkey sausage and a piece of fruit. I'll usually have another piece of fruit and one serving of cashews for a snack. For lunch, I'll have a protein, probably a sweet potato, and some sort of green vegetable. I'm typically hungry again mid-afternoon and I've been struggling to have good snacks, so a lot of times I"m starving when I get home. Dinner can be any number of things--maybe a Tex-Mex salad of iceberg lettuce, some sort of protein, some avocado, homemade salsa, etc.

Help! I know I'm not that far in, so I'm trying to manage my expectations. But this also means I have a good amount of my Whole 30 left to tweak what I'm doing for maximum results and so I'm not so dang hungry all the time!

Hi! I'm also on day 10. This is my second Whole30. The point is to create a healthy mindset about food, not to lose weight. The mindset and will power you gain from it will allow you to stick to something more restrictive calorie-wise later if your end game is to lose weight.

We really aren't supposed to weigh OR measure yourself during the Whole30.

That being said- I remember that my clothes didn't start fitting better until the third week of my first Whole30. I'm here at day 10 and really only have noticed that my stomach is a little flatter. And I weigh a lot more than you. Hang in there. :) Get rid of the tape measure and don't use it until day 30!

Have you read the meal template? I'm not sure how to link it here. 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, fill up the rest of your plate with vegetables, and add 1-2 thumbs of fat. This is for every meal. I don't see much fat at breakfast or lunch, and no vegetables at breakfast. If your meals are satisfying enough, eventually you won't need to snack. I would caution against eating nuts every day if you want to lose weight. It depends on the person, but most people find these easy to overeat and reach for even when you're not hungry. I don't think you should be starving when you get home. I eat lunch at 12:30 and I can't eat dinner until about 8:00. I do eat a hard-boiled egg about 5:00 because it's a long wait to dinner, but that's it. I'm always hungry but never starving when I get to dinner. Having the right portions at your meals will keep you full longer.

Also...we don't do egg whites here. Eat whole eggs! ;)

Thanks, abird and JJB! abird, I will put away the tape measure. :-) I can just tell my clothes aren't fitting better yet, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. JJB, I'm going to cut out nuts altogether because I definitely tend to overeat them. And I'm going to add veggies to breakfast. The only reason I'm eating egg whites is because I have high cholesterol. I do sometimes eat whole eggs, I just worry about eating too many.

• Moderators

There are several things you can do to improve your results:

1. Eat at least 3 meals per day that follow the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

2. Be sure to include protein, fat, and veggies at every meal.

3. Feeling hungry between meals is a good signal you are not eating enough. Either increase the amount of protein and fat you are eating at your meals or add another meal. It would be better for you to eat 4 or even 5 meals per day rather than snacking on a regular basis.

4. Avoid eating nuts at all if you want to lose weight. One cup of nuts is almost 1000 calories. Never eat nuts as a snack.

5. Limit fruit to no more than 1 serving per day and feel free to skip fruit completely. Veggies are always better than fruit nutritionally and fruit tends to deliver a lot of sugar.

Note: I was writing the above when you posted a follow up. Here is a little more...

Don't worry about cholesterol. The cholesterol you eat has very little to do with your cholesterol numbers. Really. The warnings from doctors and dieticians about how important it is to avoid high cholesterol foods is mostly wrong.

Don't expect salads to fill you up very long. An iceberg salad may look big in a bowl, but by the time you chew it, that same salad takes up very little space in your stomach. A big bunch of greens wilts down to just one or two servings. I wilt a lot of greens, so I am an expert. :)

Ten days into a Whole30, most people are still feeling kind of sick. The reason we ask you to go 30 days is because it often takes that long for results to become obvious.

Agree with what was stated above- put away the tape measure! Expecting results in 10 days is a little fast unless you were doing a crash diet and Whole30 is certainly not a crash diet. On the other hand- I do understand doing this to lose weight in addition to feeling great. I have been doing my Whole30 without nuts and only allowing one piece of fruit per day. I have also been leaning towards fish as my protein more often than red meat and chicken (although I think in the past month I have had more red meat than in the previous 2 years!!). I definitely think if you are not someone with a lot to lose, that limiting fruit and nuts is key. I am on Day 29 and have gone from a US size 10 to a size 6 by doing that although I have not stepped on the scale yet.

I'm turning into a broken record here, but why are we giving a person who is 5'7" and 124 lbs tips on losing weight, again?

Nothing against you personally, senews, but it makes me pretty mad that we, as a society, make people who are barely in the "normal weight" category think that they need to lose lbs or inches. If you aren't happy with your body composition, then eating MORE and putting on some muscle is probably the answer. seriously. Contrary to what we've been taught, putting on muscle (and along with it some weight, most likely), might just tighten up your body enough to get the measurements you are dreaming about--and if it doesn't you might not care because you will look so darn hot regardless. ;)

Please put away your tape measure for the duration of the whole30. Give yourself 30 days to nourish your body and your mind.

I'm turning into a broken record here, but why are we giving a person who is 5'7" and 124 lbs tips on losing weight, again?

Nothing against you personally, senews, but it makes me pretty mad that we, as a society, make people who are barely in the "normal weight" category think that they need to lose lbs or inches. If you aren't happy with your body composition, then eating MORE and putting on some muscle is probably the answer. seriously. Contrary to what we've been taught, putting on muscle (and along with it some weight, most likely), might just tighten up your body enough to get the measurements you are dreaming about--and if it doesn't you might not care because you will look so darn hot regardless. ;)

Please put away your tape measure for the duration of the whole30. Give yourself 30 days to nourish your body and your mind.

This. This and a hug.

This. And then this again.

The Whole30 program is about creating a healthier you, psychologically and physiologically. It will do just that, whether it means losing weight or not, losing inches or not. It's not a gateway to a more restrictive program - that's just the mindset we're trying to change. I understand that it can be really hard to grasp that coming from a traditional diet and exercise foundation. It's one of those things you just have to trust. But when you do trust, and follow the guidelines, great things happen.

Thanks to you ladies for the advice and encouragement! Just to be clear, I don't want to lose a bunch of weight. I don't necessarily even think I need to lose any, although 124 is on the high side of my normal range. The number doesn't bother me so much as my clothes fitting tighter--the weight was more of a signifier than anything else.

Anyway, I'm determined to just keep moving forward and following the guidelines and trusting that the program works in the way that it's supposed to! I've already learned a lot about myself and feel very empowered knowing that I truly can control what I eat. I don't have to have something bad for me just because it's there! I even "cheated" today with some bread because I have a stomach bug, but I'm not going to let it get me down or derail me. I ate what I needed to get better and I'm going to keep doing that!

Archived