Problem with gluten

GoJo09

I just had bread for the first time post-Whole 30 (hot cross bun for Easter - I went the quality one, figured I might as well make it worthwhile seeing as it's the only one I'll be having!).

Anyway, had the HCB, and now about 2 hours later, my head is really foggy (I'm having trouble concentrating), my teeth are throbbing like I'm getting a headache, and I generally feel a bit ill. This isn't the stomach ache that I was half expecting (although I did get that a bit right after I ate it, and had to go to the toilet).

So, is this a gluten reaction? I did a quick google and there is a bit to suggest that it might be, but I wondered if there are any first hand reports on here?

Thanks

And my face is itchy too! What's that about?!

I just talked to someone at work, and apparently these are all symptoms that her flatmate gets when she eats gluten. That. Sucks. Balls. Damn you Whole 30 for ripping away my veil of ignorance!

Lol. My husband told me he wants to extend his W30 and I think it's because secretly he is afraid of reacting to things during reintroductions. He is already gluten intolerant and had to give up his beloved home brewed beer 5 months ago. Add to that beans, corn chips and cheese and its almost more than he can handle.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Yeah, so far yoghurt makes me bloated and crampy, choc coated rice cakes make me crampy, and now bread makes me feel crappy. Beer, happily, was ok (apart from getting tipsy even quicker than usual!) - but it was a pale ale, so not sure if a darker beer would have a more negative effect.

My first gluten re-intro was a sugar cookie the size of a hubcap, so maybe not a fair comparison, but I had the same reaction; headache, lightheadedness, mild nausea. That was a month and a half ago. Haven't had gluten since and haven't looked back. Takeaway=Trust Your Gut.

For what it's worth, my only real SERIOUS off-roading in my post-W30 life was with a plethora of Christmas cookies, bundt cake and s'mores (all in one sitting!) and my stomach was absolutely fine. No bloating, no cramping. However, I spent the next 24 hours sobbing, unable to leave my house or do anything other than feel helpless, crestfallen and depressed (which is scarily reminiscent of my life as a low-fat vegetarian).

Similarly, I've found that gluten-free baked goods don't upset my stomach at all (and ONE GF brownie or cookie or whatever doesn't send me into a tantrum like my holiday bender did) , but do cause me to break out with acne and dry patches on my face/arms.

We all react to SAD food differently, and it sounds like your HCB experience gave you some valuable information to help you make informed decisions about what foods to eat/avoid in the future. Feel better!

Haven't noticed any mood impact (yay!), but did have serious digestive upset yesterday (day after HCB incident) - does that sound "normal" that it would be worse the day after? Was also while hiking in the mountains all day, so that was uncomfortable!

I also had about 8 gummy bears at the end of the day as I had a giant climb to go and was feeling really flat and everyone kept saying "you need the sugar" - the only thing that gave me was a stomach ache. Seriously, 8 gummies = stomach ache = I used to eat an entire bag of lollies and be ok.

It kind of sucks doesn't it? I was expecting to be able to eat a few off track things now and then like a piece of garlic bread, seeing as I had no acute symptoms with gluten for the first 32 years of my life.... and now like you, I can't eat it without really yuk consequences. Same with dairy although to a lesser extent.

Amazing to realise what we've been putting our bodies through all of these years hey? I'm sad that realistically speaking, I probably will never be able to eat bread/pizza/pasta etc again now since doing a whole30, but so glad that I'm not putting my poor body under that stress every single day. Scary. Pfft who needs hot cross buns anyway, turnip hash with sardines and kale kicks those bunnies in the soft and squishy ;)

I really did think it was going to be awesome, and even if I did have some symptoms they'd be pretty mild and worth it. Was not the case on either count.

And now I'm so in tune with what's going on in my body, that I notice every little thing and just can't justify it to myself.

I have only reintro'd wheat and dairy once...very minor consequences. Cheese and yogurt didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered, so I have no desire to continue eating or testing them. Wheat is one of the great loves of my life so I know it's best to just stay away. Sugar is where I'm struggling...and I know there have been many separate posts on this topic. I didn't notice it at first, but I can no longer deny that sugar does the same thing to me as Snappy Shark's gluten. I'm on an emotional roller coaster for about 2 days after, and my cravings for all things bad goes through the roof (I ate 3...THREE...Lara bars after a normal/complete dinner last night). I think the sugar cravings last even more than a few days, because last time I found myself having fruit after dinner almost every night for a week, and I rarely do that.

So the point is...even occasional treats really are NOT worth it to me, just like your HCB. I need a tattoo on my hand or something, seriously. Sugar makes me emotionally ill, and that is every bit as bad as being physically ill. The thought of being completely off sweets is like losing a friend or something...which sounds so pathetic, but it makes me very sad. Not as sad as I feel after I eat it though. Gotta keep reminding myself!!

Sorry I went off-topic with a sugar rant. I'm feeling guilty over my binge last night and this was the first post I read this morning. :huh:

I find your post perfectly on point here. Point being- off roading has consequences begone maybe just a little tummy ache or bathroom trouble. Food can affect any organ system in your body and its different for all of us- sometimes subtle, sometimes not so. The real tragedy here is that it takes an incredible amount of research and implementation to be able to navigate our modern food landscape safely.

I've noticed that gluten makes my achy joints act up.... I ate strict Paleo for 5 months then did a W120... Not a single cheat....So no grains,dairy sugar for 9 months and my system was sweeky clean.... Now the few times I've reintroed anything with gluten my knees/back/ ankles ache like crazy the next day.... I was pain free for 9 months with a crazy workout schedule ..... Gluten so not worth it!

Dairy sets my sinuses off so pizza is right out!!!!

Since we're slightly on the sinus thing, before I began eating Paleo and doing W30s, I could count on getting sick every fall and spring, horribly, stuck-in-bed, completely-out-of-commision for ten days, sick. I haven't been sick like that for almost two years now. B)

Archived