Making Food Count (Without Counting Cals)

I honestly don't know why I didn't start logging my food here immediately following my W30...I bounced back to MyFitnessPal reallllllll quick after finishing my W30 (faithfully didn't count cals during but after...sheesh), and while I've stuck to most of my good habits learned during the first thirty days in whole9life, I have clung for dear life to what I believe is my most self destructive.

No more excuses. The app has been deleted (inhale, exhale) and it starts now.

brekky this morning (well. we'll call it brunch, slept waaaaay in today and didn't rise until well into the afternoon; however, I went to sleep late and definitely got my ten hours in, so I'm alright with it!) was sweet potato hash browns and 2 organic, free run eggs over easy fried in expeller pressed coconut oil

exercise consisted of an hour of much-needed yoga, my DOMS are insane after HIIT the last couple of days

dinner was celeriac and sweet potato mash with EVOO and cayenne, sauteed onions with broccoli and brussels sprouts, and a pork loin chop with a dijon and garlic marinade

overall I feel full! and happy about being full of good, healthy, on plan food. I feel strong and well-rested, and I'm fired up over the fact that I'm starting to truly ride my own bike without training wheels. I'm also looking forward to my next W30 with my fiance in a couple of months when we move out to the coast! Bring on the farmer's markets!

Thanks dorval! So appreciated :) love this forum!

I off roaded last night. Indulged in some nachos with sour cream, they were too salty(!) and they made me feel like death. I'm breaking up with dairy and grain again. Very much considering a whole 30 in a week or so just for myself. I need to get my body back on track with not throwing grain and dairy at it all the time.

Going to start again today. Inhale. Exhale. Cup of black coffee. Going to make yam hash and a couple eggs and a strip of bacon in a bit.

Every day is another start. :)

Breakfast update: ended up making 2 eggs over easy fried in the bacon grease that was leftover from fiancé's brekky, wilted spinach with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and sweet potato hash, fried in coconut oil.

Yum! And I totally managed to avoid the toast demon ;)

After breakfast yesterday, the dog and I went for a long and lovely walk and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day. When we got home, I indulged in a long shower instead of my planned interval circuit. Listening to my body. This is new.

Dinner was a fantastic Stirfry over a bed of mixed field greens.

I indulged in a delicious craft beer with my fiancé. Off road! But worth it. I savored every last frosty sip.

Yesterday I felt great physically and I don't regret my beer. I did struggle not logging my calories on MFP. Why is that so hard?

Today we slept in. Way in. Got 12.5 hours of sleep and desperately needed it. I feel rested and refreshed (albeit having missed a good portion of the day!). I have had my morning coffee, black. Will be making brunch for my fiancé and I in a moment, 2 eggs over easy fried in coconut oil and sweet potato hash fried in the same.

I'm not sure what the rest of the day will hold! We have discussed going out this weekend with some good friends, and if we do so, I will eat well prior and probably have a beer while we're out. Balance in off roading. That's what it's about right? Have to e able to enjoy my life.

Will update later when I have more to say!

Not logging food is damned hard. You feel in control when you see the numbers and no logic "you are more than sum of the them" can help sometimes. However, I believe that it shouldn't be a part of any girl's life. Every time I want to download the app back to my phone I remember this: "The concept of the “calorieâ€, as applied to nutrition, is an oversimplification so extreme as to be untrue in practice" from the brilliant J. Staton. Here is the article if you care to read it sometime http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/

Nadia, that article rocks. Thank you :)

It IS damned hard. I'm having a hard time with it again today, but thanks to my fiancé and this log I am holding strong and true.

Crazy how once I dropped the MFP app my body talk went from exceedingly negative back to more positive. I'm starting not to despise what I see in the mirror once again; and while I'm still a ways from my ideal muscle tone, I'm seeing that I'm not at all as far away from where I want to be as I'd thought I was.

In fact, I've only gained 1/2 an inch on my waist and 1/4 inch each on my thighs since my "lazy month" last month... It always appears so much more than that when you look in the mirror in an already negative frame of mind.

Update on today: another black cup of coffee, long shower, and having some of our good friends over tonight. :) happy headspace.

Lovely evening with good friends. Had a delicious vegetarian meal, great local Indian restaurant. Of plan certainly; however, it was so tasty and veggie laden that I don't feel bad about it at all! I need to get some protein in me soon though; probably going to boil an egg before bed, but I'm still too full to think about it!

Happy tummy. Happy girl. Back on the saddle tomorrow!

Yay for happy tummy! Yay for NOT counting. I am very glad that it's working for you and your self perception is more positive.

This is my big goal yet to accomplish - stop agonizing about stupid inches (or 1/4th of them!!!).

• 3 weeks later...

Been ignoring this for too long. Today is a good day to start (logging online) again :D So far today, M1 = 3 eggs scrambled with leftover kale/cabbage/broccoli and 2/3 of a palm of leftover pork roast from last night (see recipe section, thank me later). I whipped in 2 TBSP of the roasted veg gravy to the eggs. http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/melliebustacey/9a052ee9-0040-4302-890d-9dc68020615c_zpsae19e305.jpg and had a cup of coffee with a splash of CM. SO FRIGGIN GOOD.

April 23: AToE and I both feel like we're catching some sort of cold (boooo! :angry:). That said, we are slowly but surely prevailing over our messed up sleep patterns (yay! :D), and were awake early today after a lovely night's sleep. I didn't even need my inhaler swyposaturdays022_zpsd393e632.jpg (That said, I did have a couple of cups of java with coconut milk). Breakfast was parsnip hash browns, leftover kale/broccoli/cabbage, a strip of bacon, and 2 eggs over easy with a happy squirt of sriracha. Kijiji003_zps76e28877.jpg My favorite :) Spent the morning listing things on Kijiji (AToE and I are moving to the coast around my birthday..best present EVER knowing I'll be by the water with the love of my life! Happy happy happy!) and listening to Radiohead. Nad, I totally agree about Radiohead and Yoga. Actually, I love both of those things as much as I love breakfast (and we all know how much I love breakfast). Anyways. Lunchtime rolled around and we decided to have an offroad at the burger joint across the street :ph34r: . Fully enjoyed my bacon blue cheese burger. No guilt offroading experience--it was delicious. Riding my own bike has gone from beating myself up over the "cheat meals" to accepting that I've been eating really well for the most part and that a singular burger isn't going to ruin me. Forgot my phone so no picture--but I was too busy checking my fiancé out across the table to have snapped a pic anyways :wub: . Was going to go for a run today) but aforementioned potential cold left me feeling sluggish and headache-y (also, weather was supposed to have been nice this afternoon, however in true 403 fashion went from sunny to SNOWING... <_< not really "let's go run hill repeats" inspiring weather) . Settled for cleaning the house and having a long overdue chat with an old friend of mine who's going through a tough time right now. It was a good conversation and I think I succeeded in brightening her day, so between being a good friend and making the house a happier place to be, I'm calling that the right choice to have made. Will sleep off the dregs of this bug and work up a good sweat tomorrow. Again--learning not to beat myself up over listening to my body. Tonight am planning to repurpose leftover pork roast into a salad for AToE and I and watch Battlestar Galactica with him and the puppy before early bedtime. Overall, a good day!

001_zps42fa9520.jpgDinner this evening was romaine with leftover pork shredded up and pan fried with a few spoons full of roasted veg gravy. Light meal but filling and super tasty. Definitely getting sick--I have a serious hankering for sweets. Hot chocolate or something of the like. Ho hum. Shower then cuddles watching BSG then bed. OH YEAH, success on the Kijiji front. Seeing items getting sold is making Victoria seem closer and closer...YAY!

Look at you, posting pictures like a boss :D Tom, my love and never closed gestalt (stage collapsed and concert was cancelled).

Get better and try this http://autoimmune-paleo.com/?p=340 or her anti-inflammatory tumeric tea. If this won't work I have the best swypo hot cocoa recipe ever.

And ehm since there is no log, please pass along the vindaloo request :P

I take no credit for newfound picture posting skills. Please direct your compliments to the Office of the Official Offal Ambassador c/o The Secretary of the Sardine State. ;) If my enter key worked in the forum that would be an exceptional bonus.

Tom, my love and never closed gestalt (stage collapsed and concert was cancelled).
this is the saddest thing I have ever read. I would sell a limb (preferably not my own) to see Radiohead live. AToE saw them, pre-Me days. And he isn't even a fan. Life isn't fair (however, I have seen RATM and he has not. Nah nah nah boo boo). I may very well give in to the sugar dragon and have some sweet type bevvy this evening. Not decided. Need to shower before I ponder swypo. Vindaloo recipe request has been passed along, keep posted. :) I sent down official orders from the Desk of the Official Sarcastic Media Commentator ;)

Update: showered, still sore and blah-feeling. Also still inexplicably hungry, even after a piece of SWYPO bacon chocolate almond bar of epic awesome that AToE and I made this weekend. I'm not passing the fish and veg test, so I know this is just old snack habits. Made cup of organic black tea with 2 tsp CM..yummy and sweet enough to ward off snacky vibes. Dexter then sleep.

Slept well last night (despite incredibly bizarre dream), got in 8.5 solid hours, then woke to sound of pooch wanting love and food. Didn't spring out of bed, but was definitely well rested. Nice change. Nice to be up and attem' at 8:30. Made coffee (drank 2 cups with CM) then made standard brekky, then more coffee. Things are being sold--woohoo! keeping me kinda busy :) "lunch" today, tea with CM and chips and hummus. Yeah yeah yeah. I'm more ok with grains than dairy at this point, and AToE makes great hummus. Boring day, still feeling blah. BuzzFeed.com in my jimjams.

Archived