Pulled pork with pork hock?

moggle

I saw some pork hocks at the supermarket today for a reasonable price. I realise there's bone in there but a couple of them looked particularly meaty.

Also they're not free range/grass fed but I could skim off any fat.

Would this cut work for the pulled pork I've seen mentioned on this forum quite a lot?

• Moderators

You might get enough meat from one ham hock to make a meal. I did when I used a ham hock to flavor a batch of collard greens: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/01/pressure-cooker-ham-hocks-and-collard-greens/ However, it would be nothing like pulled pork. For that you want a nice, meaty pork shoulder or Boston butt.

This was a raw pork hock (shank?) and not a cured ham hock. And one in particular looked like it had a fair bit of meat on it.

It would probably be OK for slow cooking either way I guess :-D

Moggle I don't think I have ever seen a pork hock that wasn't smoked or cured. I think it will work great. In comparison, I cooked 4 lamb shanks in my slow cooker for 12 hours. I think you should plan on 14-16?

Moggle I don't think I have ever seen a pork hock that wasn't smoked or cured.

Me either! I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get them. I love budget cuts of meat. I might pop back to the same supermarket when they're open again tomorrow and see if they're still there.

Thanks for the cooking time advice. I don't often use a slow cooker but I think I should learn :-D

I love starting a dish right before I go to bed and it's ready in the morning

I think this might be the thing to get me out of my current breakfast .... slump. I'm having a second phase of egg boredom coupled with starting to get sick of cooking every morning.

Archived