At the end...

I finish my Whole 30 next week. It took 20 days, but the magic finally happened, and I feel better than i thought I would.

My partner and I really love eating paleo and have adjusted to this lifestyle change. We plan on keeping *almost* everything the same when the 30 days is up---but there are certain things that we both enjoy and would love to add back into our life in moderation. We both have seen so many amazing changes in our body shape, digestive tract, and complexion---we never want to go back to the way we felt before the Whole 30.

But I am terrified of the Whole 30 ending and feeling like I am "free to binge."

Before the Whole 30, I ate cereal with soy milk every morning. While I don't plan to go back to this routine, I would enjoy my cereal occasionally. Is soy the best thing I can be using for it thought? Any suggestions of something else to use besides regular milk or coconut milk? Would almond milk be a better replacement?

Also, coffee creamer. Black coffee and I have a love/hate relationship. Suggestions? Again, not a fan of the coconut milk in my coffee.

And lastly, alcohol. Definitely plan on a once a week treat---anyone add alcohol back and see a benefit of wine over beer?

And honestly---has anyone completed the Whole 30 and wanted to add anything in but decided against it due to the health reasons? I would love to hear how to trouble shoot the end of the Whole 30 and the beginning of my new lifestyle!

Thanks!

Best thing to do is follow the steps to reintroduction.... One group at a time, and really see how your body reacts.....

I was hoping for dairy.... Alas, I get totally congested and all mucousy... Not worth it

Soy... So not worth it!!!

Grains... Rice and steel cut oats I'm ok with, so once in a while I indulge

I can feel and see how much better I am when I eat compliant 99% of the time.... My performance is up, my endurance is way up, my strength is way up, my resistance to cold flue and illness is amazing......

Soooo.... I love this lifestyle and realize that the optimal fuel is the way to go .... If something special comes along I will indulge, but I will not binge on foods that I " missed out on". I mean how many bagels have I eaten in my life and will one more make a diff???

Now when I'm traveling and a once in a lifetime dessert comes along I will gladly eat it, but I won't binge on everything on the table...

That said, I was in Costco today and the $1.50 hotdog combo Siriens were calling my name something serious..... " come eat me...I'm delicious... You'll love it... It's a way of life ( Zappa reference)" I almost justified it by telling myself I won't eat the bun..... Then I knew how gross I would feel and my better sense kicked in and I decided I really didn't want it.... Not nearly special,enough! Close call. :)

I could have written your post (in fact I did... kind of)

As far as cereal- I have no comment. I'm good with eggs/ meat veggies.

The dairy thing is kind of not turning out well for me. At my first reintro I didn't have a reaction. Slowly more crept in: coffee creamer, cheese, yogurt all in one day and I ended up “sickâ€. I thought it was a cold or allergies, but then I realized it may be a histamine reaction to dairy. I have not read & researched enough about this kind of reaction, so I am still on the fence. I have not been sick in over 2 years and I supervise 25+ employees and work with 200+ seniors. If there is a sickness out and about, I'm around it!

Alcohol. Whole30 sealed the casket. I am allergic to beer. My eyelids and face swell, my rosacea gets all cranky pants and I get sty's. I am the abnormal few, but I reintroduced, beer, wine and liquor all separately. After beer I felt like I got hit by a train and my face turned into Sloth. Wine: I was mildly uncomfortable and emotional the next day, presumably the sugar. Vodka, least reaction when mixed with club soda.

Good luck with your reintros! I'm still in that akward I don't know how to ride my bike yet phase... LOL

Haha I feel like I am going to be in the same position come next week---awkward and not sure. Good to know about the rosacea. Literally, returning for my dermatologist now and we had a long talk about the effects and what I needed to keep doing to avoid a really bad reaction during re-intros.

I added back everything I like. It's the worry, food rules, labels and trying to be perfect that make me binge or be mental. I was not interested in whole 30 to label myself or create new rules, I just wanted to heal my relationship with food which has worked out really well. I would say in a typical day my diet is about 80-90% compliant foods but I don't actively deny myself...that's just how I eat now. I actively try not to use the word "should" about anything I'm going to eat :)

As far as for health reasons, the only food I restrict is egg yolk because when I ate them my cholesterol was too high. I know everyone loves their egg yolks around here but they just don't work in my body.

Follow the reintroduction guidelines and you will do great!

Good luck!

And honestly---has anyone completed the Whole 30 and wanted to add anything in but decided against it due to the health reasons? I would love to hear how to trouble shoot the end of the Whole 30 and the beginning of my new lifestyle!

I tried wheat one day, and I woke up with a bloody nose the next morning. This might sound like a coincidence, but I had lots of bloody noses as a kid and that was right around the same time I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy (which I later outgrew...or at least the obvious symptoms subsided). I love love love bread...but other than the one reintro out of curiousity, I'm going to stay away from it as much as I possibly can. It is not a healthy food, and I fully expect to soon be out of control if I try to make it a treat with any kind of regularity. I'm not really an alcohol person, but if I was I would definitely avoid beer just because of the gluten.

I tried dairy once...and was very drowsy the next day. Wasn't excited enough about the taste of the cheese and yogurt to test it again.

Sugar I've been ranting about left and right...my plan is to eventually kick it to the curb completely. And then jump up and down on it. And then drive over it with my car...

My plan going forward is to follow W30 rules most days, but go out to eat once or possibly twice a month. So far my restaurant meals have included white potatoes, non-compliant bacon, and probably some buttery sauce or unsavory cooking oils (and pretty much every time, an uncomfortable trip to the bathroom later is included free with my purchase...). I expect I will eventually go totally crazy and have a hamburger or Mexican food. I am OK with this ratio and it's more than doable for me to continue eating all of the awesome W30-approved foods on a regular basis.

Archived