LiverLove

Nadia B

I made a liver thing the other night that turned out great. Sauteed asparagus, capers, green olives, and roasted tomatoes, with very thin strips of calf liver (strips about the size of a small asparagus stem) tossed into the stir fry at the last minute. I'd call it "liver puttanesca".

I briefly dated a chef who made fries in tallow. All this talk of tallow on the forum and I've been craving them. As soon as I'm done with my nightshade ban I'm all over fries made in every kind of animal fat I can think of.

Pâté looks great. I was just thinking that I have got to buy chicken livers at the farmers market tomorrow.

Beets, that sounds like an excellent opportunity for an ongoing, comparative series of posts. You could find us the perfect combo: which potato to use, with which animal fat.

Reporting back: first chunk of set pâté consumed for breakfast this morning. Delicious. That recipe is gorgeous. The pâté is creamy, with a little tang from the apple cider vinegar and when you find a cranberry amongst it (I left my cranberries whole: defrosted, they were impossible to cut in half), it's like finding buried treasure. I've got chicken to put in the slow cooker for dinner and I'm grumpy about it because I just want pâté for dinner now.

Finally made pâté. I make it every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas and my husband and I love to order it when we are eating out. So, not a huge leap. But, still, yum, I made it.

Made the Mark Sisson recipe--thanks to Nadia, of course--and it tastes great. (Used mace instead of nutmeg bc I'm on AIP, and because I have a bag of mace that's been in my freezer for two years.)

Only problem: husband brought home a crusty baguette and asked if I wouldn't mind slicing it, rubbing it with garlicky olive oil, and crisping the bread rounds in the oven like we do whenever we serve it. He said, "You're the strongest person I know with this food stuff."

I usually don't even crave bready treats anymore. But this? Yes, this I mind. He will be slicing his own baguette tonight.

Wonderful, I was meaning to try mace forever. Yes, this stuff SCREAMS bread. I like endive boats or mushroom caps.

I think I just got a bunch of haters :D I am not encouraging anyone to eat bread nor I discourage you to make pate because it will trigger bread thoughts. Pate is still very good on it's own.

Ooh. I will try endive. Mushroom caps would be amazing, brushed with ghee and roasted a bit.

Used radish tonight and that was fine. I smelled the bread, just to see how it struck me. Smelled good--but definitely not worth it. Felt good to feel that way.

I think this one will be next: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/04/17/beef-liver-with-parsley-onions-lemon/

I saw lamb liver at my local so no exuses. I saw beef kidneys there too, and they look terrifying. Lamb ones a lot smoother and smaller and not so scary. But still a bit scary. I also so oxtail! Not offal, but something different.

Wouldn't you know I finally convinced myself to try liver and the store was out last night. No liver. From any animal. I think I've seen lamb or beef liver every other time I've been there.

Clearly, I like that you convinced yourself to try, not that the store was out. Next time you see you have to get some and put it in the freezer if you have to. How were you planning on cooking it?

Kidneys are a pain to prep, my warning to you. There is a fat layer inside that is so hard to remove. Not missing anything with flavor either. However they are tasty, no doubt. Calf liver is best, so tender. Most common stuff to add is onions, mushrooms and bacon. That recipe was the first I made with beef liver I think :D Don't overcook it, that's the rule.

Oxtail, yes! Tom has cool recipe on his website Whole life eating.

Clearly, I like that you convinced yourself to try, not that the store was out. Next time you see you have to get some and put it in the freezer if you have to. How were you planning on cooking it?

I think I'm going to try the pate from Practical Paleo first. I really wanted it this weekend because I have a bag of sugar snap peas that I thought would be lovely to dip in it since hummus is off the table. I think the only reason I've decided to just try it already is from reading up on fertility diets and 3-6 oz of liver a week is part of the recommended diet. :P

I think I'm going to try the pate from Practical Paleo first. I really wanted it this weekend because I have a bag of sugar snap peas that I thought would be lovely to dip in it since hummus is off the table. I think the only reason I've decided to just try it already is from reading up on fertility diets and 3-6 oz of liver a week is part of the recommended diet. :P

That's as good a reason as any! Keep hunting, I'm sure the livers will be back in store soon :)

So when I went to PCC yesterday I still didn't see liver in the meat section. But than I wondered over to the frozen meats and that seems to be where all the odd bits were hiding and I found a nice tube of frozen grass fed organic local beef livers. So those are defrosting in the fridge presently and I'm going to give the practical paleo pate recipe a try this weekend. Here goes nothing. ;-)

Just had my first liver, and it was great! I made a hash with minced beef liver from US Wellness, grated red taters (not W30, could probably be replaced w/another similar vegetable), rainbow carrots, onion and some egg and coconut flour to hold it all together. Going to fry up the other 1/2lb of liver for lunch today - maybe spread some mayo on top. I cooked it in duck fat last time, and it was great, but I think I'll use avocado oil this time to cut down on the smoke.

And there was a lot of blood. Like seriously. The kitchen and knives looked like something you'd see in a crime scene.

Archived