Restaurant compliance

I'm on day 13 of my Whole30, no major temptations yet, but I'm unsure if I've put myself in a position where I should restart/extend my Whole30.

I had to attend a dinner party last night at a local Italian restaurant, where everything was served family-style. I wasn't tempted to eat any of the cheesy and carby food, and I drank club soda all night, so I'm thrilled with that small victory. Here is my problem: I didn't have time to eat before I got there, so I did pick stuff off of the plates that was compliant, but was in contact with noncompliant foods. For example, I ate tomatoes and roasted red peppers off of a caprese salad platter (touching fresh mozzarella cheese), sausage and broccoli rabe off the top of a platter of pasta, and the waiter brought me a house salad that ended up having some antipasti with garbanzo beans on top (which I picked out before I ate). The vinegar dressing on the antipasti tasted sweet to me, so I only ate about a third of it before I put it aside. I'm not sure if that's a tastebud issue or not, because I've never heard of adding sugar to vinegar dressing.

Am I overthinking this as a possible slip?

I, personally think you're overthinking it. It sounds like you made smart choices, given the options. Would it have been better to eat in advance? Maybe, but you're making it work for you.

There very well could have been sugar in the dressing and the sausage - in the future, I would request oil & vinegar, but I think you did quite well given the circumstances.

Next time, don't be afraid to send the salad back and ask for it sans dressing... you were probably hungry, so hopefully you ate some more when you got home!

I already felt bad, as I was a guest at this dinner and the waiter was really gracious about trying to bring me something that worked after he laid out everything that was available (one of the other guests asked me about my food avoidance as they were serving the food). I didn't get to look at a menu, so I didn't know that a "plain house salad" would have antipasti on it.

In hindsight, I should have just stayed home...not quite sure it was worth the multiple lines of questioning about my food choices (I gave up and told people it was doctor's orders to shut 'em up) and people refusing to believe I wasn't pregnant because I wasn't boozing. Nothing good comes without struggle, eh?

You did the best you could. I actually am glad you didn't send the salad back as the restaurant simply brought you what you ordered.

I have found that looking at a menu before hand really helps. Often just ordering a grilled steak no butter no sauce is the best way to go. Then you can add some steamed or grilled veggies..again no butter no sauce and you are good to go.

You did the best you could. No need to stay home. Just try to do a little more planning if possible.

All of my friends know about my eating habits by now but when I am around people I don't know as well, I simply eat what I eat and ignore the raised eyebrows. Sometimes I tell people I am in a lifestyle challenge that involves foods. I also talk lots more about what I do eat and less about what I choose not to eat.

You did well and you will get better at it. :)

Yes, as Susan said, you did well. Congratulations on handling such a difficult occasion. i really wouldn't worry about some of your food having touched non-compliant food. You did your best and yes, you should be thrilled at how well you handled it. So well done and good luck with the rest of your W30.

Archived