Salt?

martihana60

I'm on day 52 of my first ever Whole30, and I've been eating salt the way I normally did for the past 52 days. I'm fairly certain Whole30 does not disallow salt, but I'm thinking there are some restrictions. Didn't I see a "Salt Manifesto" document somewhere on this site? I haven't been able to find it today.

I am coming to the end of what is turning out to be a Whole60, and I'm feeling very much like I have a great foundational way of eating for the rest of my life. My reintro period will be a time of slow and deliberate experimentation, to find out what foods, beverages, and condiments my body likes best.

I have always LOVED and CRAVED salt. I grew up on a farm in New Hampshire, where my dad used to put out big blocks of salt for the cows. They apparently need it. I remember as a child taking a rock and chipping off a corner of one of those salt blocks and sucking on it until the salt was gone and my lips were puckered and my tongue was swollen.

So I'm looking to experiment with putting some brakes on my salt usage. Would love to have some input.

Thanks!

I don't remember a salt manifesto. We are not eating the high salt processed foods so salt is not discouraged. I season my food with salt but just to put a zing on my tongue. I don't know how much salt you are using but it sounds like you may like it a little too much. If a mod doesn't pop in with more info, you may want to check Chris Kresser or David Sisson. Just google salt and their name. Robb Wolf would be another good resource.

Hi, I've never seen a salt manifesto (which doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one) but in the Bacon Manifesto they say this about salt.

And in the context of eliminating most packaged, processed food from our diet, we've also eliminated three quarters of our sodium, which means we can afford to shake the shaker and eat some salty foods on occasion.

I've never heard of anyone eating a salt lick before :unsure: but before W30 I was pretty salt phobic. i neither cooked with it nor added it to food. Now I use himalayan pink salt on just about everything :). I don't take a lot, but I certainly enjoy using it, I'm no longer afraid of having it. Our bodies need salt and, as the Hartwiggs say, without all the processed crap we're getting so much less than on the normal SAD diet.

Thanks so much, Kirsteen and the others who *liked* her post. I'd seen that comment before, but just couldn't remember where.

I'm grateful that I don't have to worry too much about salt, but I still think it would be a good idea to cut back on it. I use Celtic sea salt almost exclusively. I may experiment with eliminating salt from cooking but allowing it at the table.

Well one level teaspoon of salt has 2350 mg and 2200 is the recommended max for healthy individuals and 1500 mg over 50 years old or if you have any ailments...

I just measured out a teaspoon and that's a lot of salt! I seriously doubt I use half that in my daily intake and I salt just about everything I cook so unless your really pouring it on I'd say you are safe.....

Well one level teaspoon of salt has 2350 mg and 2200 is the recommended max for healthy individuals and 1500 mg over 50 years old or if you have any ailments...

I just measured out a teaspoon and that's a lot of salt! I seriously doubt I use half that in my daily intake and I salt just about everything I cook so unless your really pouring it on I'd say you are safe.....

Source? I have an interest in this subject as well.

Source? I have an interest in this subject as well.

CDC And Mayo Clinic both site these numbers. Keep in mind my best friend from grade school has a daughter going to Mayo med school. They are very against paleo because of focus on meat. Who knows how outdated the info is on salt.

CDC And Mayo Clinic both site these numbers. Keep in mind my best friend from grade school has a daughter going to Mayo med school. They are very against paleo because of focus on meat. Who knows how outdated the info is on salt.

Ah. Got it.

I may need to measure. I use Hawaiian salt, which has really huge square-shaped crystals. Much bigger than any other salt I've seen. I'm not sure a teaspoon of that would equal table or even kosher salt if that makes sense. Hm...

I may need to measure. I use Hawaiian salt, which has really huge square-shaped crystals. Much bigger than any other salt I've seen. I'm not sure a teaspoon of that would equal table or even kosher salt if that makes sense. Hm...

Don't over think it. I know where you are going with this. It has been proven in many studies that salt only raises blood pressure temporarily. So there.

You come here. I gotta give you a kiss. (Thank you!!)

I KNEW it. Don't you love how we get to know eachother enough during this journey to just know when to say the thing that matters? You also know I have checked my sources carefully. :)

SO I've read comments from a couple of folks who say a teaspoon of salt is a whole lot of salt and they don't use that much. I have one word for you.

Amateurs.

I am the one who salts my food once when I cook it, once when I serve it, and once or twice after I taste it. I'm the one who ate the salt in the bottom of the empty pretzel boxes, back when I ate pretzels.

I have a little wooden box with a slide top; it holds just about exactly a teaspoon of salt. Some days I've used that much salt at breakfast.

I've also read that salt is valuable to people with burned-out adrenals. Like me.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good ole table salt...

I recently had a blood work up done and while all my numbers looked good, the one that was not quite "down the middle" was for thyroid function. Doctor asked if I used salt in my diet. Yes, mostly kosher and Himalayan Pink - she suggested I put good old iodized table salt back in the rotation because the iodine added to the salt supports healthy thyroid function. Table salt is one of the few places to get iodine in food.

I figure if I'm gonna use it, it might was well do me some good!  :D

remember this: the guidelines from Mayo, etc. are talking about added salt on top of a standard american diet, which will already have a tone of salt from the processed food. If you are eating all whole foods I'm confident you can add as much good quality salt as tastes good to you and be just fine--your tastes will adjust to suit.

Ruby- My Dr. gave me the same advice but I can't get behind it logically. Eliminating a very healthy source of minerals from my diet to get a poor source of supplemental iodine doesn't make sense to me. I take an iodine supplement and stick with celtic sea salt.

If table salt were a natural source of iodine that would be different, but it's not...

remember this: the guidelines from Mayo, etc. are talking about added salt on top of a standard american diet, which will already have a tone of salt from the processed food. If you are eating all whole foods I'm confident you can add as much good quality salt as tastes good to you and be just fine--your tastes will adjust to suit.

Ruby- My Dr. gave me the same advice but I can't get behind it logically. Eliminating a very healthy source of minerals from my diet to get a poor source of supplemental iodine doesn't make sense to me. I take an iodine supplement and stick with celtic sea salt.

If table salt were a natural source of iodine that would be different, but it's not...

The other problem with this blanket advice is that it only applies to idiopathic hypothyroidism, and by far the largest reason for hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition which is worsened by excess iodine. The doctor needs to confirm the reason for the hypothyroidism before determining appropriate treatment. For those of us with Hashimoto's, iodine is a no-go.

Archived