Olive Oil Scandal

We may be getting duped! Have you heard of this big bust and the olive oil scam that has been revealed country wide?!

http://mamanatural.com/virgin-olive-oil-scam-fraud/

There are other sources too.

So, I love love love mayonaise! It's the creamy goodness that I crave when I can't have dairy. I'm on day 3 of W30 and made some using Star Light Olive Oil that i used before. I really prefer it if it tastes close to real mayo, not too olive oily.

I had two servings yesterday and was so gasy and stomach pain that that could be the only answer.

No answer from their company.

Anyway, it's super shady and I suspect fraud.

So, How can I make my mayo out of another oil?

Or, do you know of a California grown light olive oil?

Or, do you have a tasty way to spice up EVOO?

Thanks!

Tasha

I don't get why everybody uses "light olive oil" for mayo when macadamia nut oil and avocado oil work great. I'm on a mayo-free30 at the moment, but honestly. mac nut and avocado oil FTW.

For me it's the expense. I go through it too fast and simply can't afford it. I think that is the case with most of us who use it because Mac and Avo oil would be awesome!!

For me it's the expense. I go through it too fast and simply can't afford it. I think that is the case with most of us who use it because Mac and Avo oil would be awesome!!

Yeah, I kind of forgot about the cost issue. Maybe save mayo for special occasions then splurge on the good oil? I'm still trying to figure out how I might be able to make a tiny amount to have just once in a while as a treat (vs. making a bunch and consuming it all in two days :o ).

I made a half batch this time, but not going to use the Star Light OO again. Such a bad belly!!! Sourced from 4 different countries, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly soy or worse.

I have tried the avocado. It's "ok", but too avocado-y. I might try it again and make it spicy. The mac nut is super pricey. Any health differences between mac nut and avocado?

Yeah, I kind of forgot about the cost issue. Maybe save mayo for special occasions then splurge on the good oil? I'm still trying to figure out how I might be able to make a tiny amount to have just once in a while as a treat (vs. making a bunch and consuming it all in two days :o ).

Deliver the rest to me? :)

I have made mayo w/all different kinds of oils, and the only oil I really like is light olive oil. I made it with all avocado oil once and didn't like the flavor or green tint...kids did though! Like leprechauns got hold of our fridge... I have read about the oo problem here, but since we go through a quart of mayo a week (these children and their Ranch dressing!) I'll stick to the Sam's Club Bertolli I get, too. So far no problems with it! Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

We may be getting duped! Have you heard of this big bust and the olive oil scam that has been revealed country wide?!

http://mamanatural.c...oil-scam-fraud/

There are other sources too.

So, I love love love mayonaise! It's the creamy goodness that I crave when I can't have dairy. I'm on day 3 of W30 and made some using Star Light Olive Oil that i used before. I really prefer it if it tastes close to real mayo, not too olive oily.

I had two servings yesterday and was so gasy and stomach pain that that could be the only answer.

No answer from their company.

Anyway, it's super shady and I suspect fraud.

So, How can I make my mayo out of another oil?

Or, do you know of a California grown light olive oil?

Or, do you have a tasty way to spice up EVOO?

Thanks!

Tasha

I understand that the study that revealed this scandal was paid for by the California Olive Council. I suspect advertising disguised as research. (I'm unhealthily cynical sometimes though.)

I understand that the study that revealed this scandal was paid for by the California Olive Council. I suspect advertising disguised as research. (I'm unhealthily cynical sometimes though.)

Hmm...I had not heard this at all. I am dubious about some of the olive oil just based on my research of true Italian olive oil processing standards and practices, but am also HEALTHILY skeptical of most research. Thanks Amy!

I think the media coverage is a little misleading when it comes to talking about Olive Oil brands and which are good, etc. The brand I use has been downgraded to 'virgin', but is otherwise ok.

It's also California based, and that in itself does little to help me.

I'm going to continue to use my regular EVOO, even if it's only VOO.

Although it said some may be made with soybean or other oils, it also said some didn't pass the test because they were using a lower grade of olive oil, not EVOO. It's fraud just the same, but I'm hoping most of the ones I use are pure olive oil, even if just lower quality. I'll be really bummed if Bertolli et al turn out to contain soy.

ETA: Just read the UCDavis paper:

http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/news-events/news/files/olive%20oil%20final%20071410%20.pdf

If you scroll to Page 8, most of the ones that failed were designated Virgin, not Extra Virgin. Slightly lower quality, still all olive oil.

Archived