My whole30+ Testimony

I have spent the majority of my life disliking what I saw in mirror and constantly believing some area of my body could look better if I ran an extra mile or did another set of squats. I have starved my body, counted calories, tried fad diets, and allowed fitness pal to become my best friend. I was miserable and even worse I realized my beautiful 6 year old daughter was watching me....so I prayed.

God had set me free of other painful addictions and I realized that this problem was bigger than I was. I asked Him to free me to love my body, to enjoy the food I was eating, and most importantly to teach my children what healthy really looked like. I was doing Best Body Bootcamp at the time (Tina Reale thank you for being such an inspiration) and began reading other participants blogs. A few mentioned this Whole30 program, being the diet addicted person I was I began to read up on this program. I quickly thought there is no way this is for me! No calorie counting!!! No fitness pal!!! No measurements!!! No weighing myself for 30 days!!!!!!!!!! But In my soul i kept hearing God say "trust me". So I downloaded ISWF to my iPad, still not convinced. God could not seriously ask me not to get on the scale for 30 days!!!

I began reading ISWF in the car on our way to a family ski trip, and continued to pray for a sign this was truly the program (not another fad diet) God was leading me to. My husband casually asked what I was reading and I shared with him the little bit I had learned about whole30. "That sounds cool" was his response. I didn't read anymore of ISWF over the weekend but I did continue to pray during my morning devotional that God would answer my prayer. On the way home I continued reading and again my husband asked what I was reading and I started to read ISWF aloud. This time his answer was "let's do it". I was shocked and a little frightened I wasn't sure I was ready, but again I heard "trust me" whispered quietly in my heart. So I did...

I am now past the 30 days and feel like a completely different person. I am free from counting calories, I did weigh myself on day 32 out of curiosity (not freakish obsession) and I am showing my babies what healthy really looks like!! God answered my prayers and then some!!! Here's the kicker I actually gained a couple pounds and I'm totally ok with it...honestly!!! I'm not sure how long I'll continue the whole30, I just know right now I feel fantastic, I'm sure a glass of wine or one of my mom's desserts will lure me but I'm ok with that, it will be a thoughtful decision not a crazed eating frenzy.

My prayer now is that a woman obsessed with calorie counting or poor self body image will read this and realize God loves her and thinks she's absolutely beautiful. He never intended for us to be chained to a scale or an iPhone app, He intended us to walk freely and enjoy all the amazing food He created for us. Melissa and Dallas thank you for all the guidance and support offered thru the Whole30 website and forum!!

Sometimes i question my own motives for doing whole30 and though i don't want to question it to death i believe why we do things is important.....sounds like you're on the right track....it's good to know we're not alone having our whole30 support and our faith.

You are such a beautiful girl that the old me could never have DREAMED that you could possibly have body image issues. You were the Holy Grail - blonde AND thin! In the short 16 days of my Whole 30 so far, I totally get where you are coming from, and I'm only wishing I found this ten years ago to help my daughter.

Thanks for uplifting testimony, and welcome to Food Freedom!

Archived