Chicken feet bone broth

I came up on a bonanza of chicken feet at the coop--about five pounds worth from a local poulterer--and yesterday made a simple bone broth in the crock pot. About a pound and a third (it was one package) or so covered in cold water, no salt, for 12 hours (I got this method on a paleo site I cannot recall the name of now, but effortless in the crock pot, not bringing to a boil, skimming, etc. needed).

This morning I had a ladle-full of the most exquisite broth, jelled solid with a lovely thin layer of fat on the top, over which I shook a little bit of salt and allowed it to melt in, and then ate it with a spoon like ice cream before my breakfast. If you are like me, you are the person who scoops up all the jell at the bottom of the leftover chicken dish the next day and wolfs it down. This was like being in the chicken jell department store!

I buy them from White Oaks farms and have them shipped. I think I will check with Jimmy P's, one of the butchers mentioned they could order for me but it would be a whole box, I should check on the price. I will let you know how big the box is and the price.

Have you checked the Asian market on Pine Ridge? I've seen in other post where that's the best place to get them cheap and local. I'm planning on going there tomorrow. I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I've wondered about. Where I'm located, there really aren't any butchers to get some of these "exotic" parts from. Recently, I had the experience of slaughtering chickens with a friend who has raised them on his property, and I got to take one home. I was staring at the feet, thinking about how I could use them in the broth, but I was too afraid. How do you sanitize them before actually cooking them into a broth? These are the things that are usually done before a person would purchase said chicken feet, no?

(I'm sorry if this is a bit graphic for some, but I'm really into the slow food movement, and knowing where your food comes from, so I was so glad to have been given the opportunity. I know it's not for everyone. Having this experience was one I would recommend to ANYONE who opposes big food and those nasty corporations out there.)

I never even considered using chicken feet for bone broth, but that makes complete sense! I actually accidentally got too many duck feet from my meat co-op (which I order meat from for my dogs) last month. I assume duck feet would work as well as chicken feet for a broth, right? I'm thinking I should try this. :)

I came up on a bonanza of chicken feet at the coop--about five pounds worth from a local poulterer--and yesterday made a simple bone broth in the crock pot. About a pound and a third (it was one package) or so covered in cold water, no salt, for 12 hours (I got this method on a paleo site I cannot recall the name of now, but effortless in the crock pot, not bringing to a boil, skimming, etc. needed).

This morning I had a ladle-full of the most exquisite broth, jelled solid with a lovely thin layer of fat on the top, over which I shook a little bit of salt and allowed it to melt in, and then ate it with a spoon like ice cream before my breakfast. If you are like me, you are the person who scoops up all the jell at the bottom of the leftover chicken dish the next day and wolfs it down. This was like being in the chicken jell department store!

omg. seriously. this needs to be made in my kitchen. Now.

Chicken feet rock!

yes, yes they do :)

You people are braver than I and I am envious. :wub:

Susan, I'll cook ya the weird stuff and feed it to you without telling you what it is ;)

Archived