Another changed life

Joann13

One month ago I was a very different person. I was lazy, easily irritated, always tired, 50+ pounds overweight, and almost always in a bad mood. One day at work I was talking to a coworker about different “diets†and she mentioned the Paleo diet. I decided to do some research. After reading a bit on the internet about it I bought some random books online. One of those books happened to be “It Starts With Food†and after reading it I decided to do a Whole30. What sold me on it was that it wasn't going to change. I had tried Weight Watchers before and it always bothered me that they would “update†the program to keep up with changing fads. I wanted something that I could understand and rely on.

I started on March 1st. Some people gave me weird looks when I told them what I was doing but it wasn't too hard to ignore them. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, learning how much food my body needs and how often I really need to eat. I didn't experience the hangover phase though I was tired the first week or so. From the first day the main thing I noticed was that I was happy. Not just from feeling better because I was eating better but because I was taking control of my life and my body.

Luckily my cravings were bearable. I really wanted a glass of milk in the morning and to lick the peanut butter off my thumb when I got some on it while making my son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But I didn't, I resisted. My energy was up and down but it would surprise me at times. The day I got the email about Tiger Blood I thought to myself “haven't reached that yet but hopefully soonâ€. By the end of the day I realized that I had difficulty staying still. I would sit on the couch expecting to stay there awhile while I watched television (something I used to do). But I kept getting up. I couldn't sit still. I would end up cleaning my apartment without even thinking about it.

On day 13 I noticed my hair and skin felt amazing! Honestly, I had read the testimonials on the website but I didn't expect to notice much of a difference with my hair and skin. But I did. I also noticed weight loss pretty early on but I had difficulty accepting it. I didn't want to get my hopes up but I also had some body image issues. My brain seemed to be telling me that if I wasn't at my goal weight than I hadn't actually lost weight. I looked in the mirror and I thought I looked exactly the same. So even though my pants were practically falling off me and people were telling me that I've obviously lost weight my brain was telling me that it was maybe just a couple pounds. But now that the 30 days is over and I was able to weigh myself this morning I was able to prove to my brain that I did lose a significant amount of weight. I lost 13 pounds! I look great, I feel great and those people that gave me weird looks in the beginning are now asking me how I did it and want to borrow my book.

Thank you so much for changing my life!!

I had tried Weight Watchers before and it always bothered me that they would “update†the program to keep up with changing fads.

I think that's a really great point! Some people who don't understand Paleo refer to it as "just one of those fad diets" and I wish I could make them understand.

Did you notice, at the time, that you were tired and always in a bad mood? I didn't, at least not completely. When I have an off day now, it's really noticeable to me. And it used to be my norm! No more temper tantrums and tears at work (ugh...that's just the worst)!

Congrats on your success, and losing 13 pounds...wow! I know we aren't supposed to be focusing on that, but isn't it a great bonus?

When I first started my Whole30 my mom was reading some article online about the top ten fad diets and she pointed out that mine wasn't on there (trying to say that my new diet must not be very good). I tried to tell her it was because it's not a "fad diet", that it was lifestyle. She rolled her eyes then but she's pretty happy for me now.

Before I did this I would have people tell me that I was a negative person but I didn't believe them. Now that I'm so happy, whenever something bothers me it seems strange and it doesn't last long. The last couple weeks I've had people tell me that they can tell there's been a major change in me, in a good way :)

Thanks JJB!! I think it was great to not look at the scale for 30 days but it's also nice to know how much weight I lost.

Congratulations!! I was especially touched by your story because I'm only on Day 2 and I cannot even begin to tell you how much more positive I've been. I'm not even sure what to think about myself but with only one day under my belt so far I've felt a definite shift in my mood. I hope that continues!!

Will you be extending the Whole30? I'm definitely looking at this as a lifestyle change - not a 30 days and I'm done. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are since you've just finished.

Congrats again!! Loving my own personal experience so far.

I waited for a few days before starting the reintroduction but I think I might reintroduce things pretty slowly. I have always been a big dairy fan. So on day 34 I had some milk and cheese. I had a bit of a stomach ache from it but the funny thing is I probably wouldn't have noticed it before. It would have just been a normal feeling for me. I think there will be certain times that I'll have dairy as a treat (mushroom cheeseburger (no bun)...so yummy!!) but I probably won't have it every day. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I did wait a few days before going off the strict Whole30 mainly because I was afraid of how it would feel and it did not feel too great but I learned something from it. And I'll probably stay Whole30 compliant for a few days again before I try another type of food. Long term I think I'll try to keep this new lifestyle and I don't think it'll be too hard considering how great I feel. Plus the compliments don't hurt ;)

How are you doing on yours, willowgrove? Still going strong?

Thanks and good luck!!

Archived