After Whole 30

Tavia

I thought there was a section of the forum for this topic, but I can't seem to find it...?

I'm on day 25 of my 2nd whole30 and looking forward to how to continue eating. I have been eating paleo since my first whole30 in January. Now, when I say "eating paleo" I mean about 80/20 compliance. I know that "80/20" term gets thrown around a lot.

Those who are more experienced than I am.... how do you eat after your whole30? Do you allow occasional "cheats" (hate to call it that, but you know what I mean)? My birthday is about 3 days after this whole30 will finish, I'd like to have some paleo friendly treats but I really don't want to set myself back. I feel like whenever I let myself indulge a little is when I tend to loosen the reigns too much.

This is a lot of rambling. I guess I'm asking, if you've completed a whole30 challenge:

How do you eat when not doing whole30?

How often do you complete a whole30 challenge?

Do you follow some sort of 80/20, 90/10 rule?

Just trying to figure out how to continue making this a forever lifestyle change. Since January I have lost 30 pounds and went from size 12 to size 8. My husband has lost 40 pounds.

ETA: Oops! Just saw the correct forum for this. Perhaps one of the moderators can move it? Sorry!

• Moderators

Hi Tavia,

I did my first Whole30 in May of 2010 and have not really done another formal one since. However, I live Whole30-compliant most of the time. My practice is to eat completely Whole30 at home all the time. Everything I buy is clean, paleo food. Where I vary on occasion is with restaurant meals or at the home of friends. I had some babaganoush made with yogurt last week and a piece of baklava when my boss took me out to eat. I drank a smoothie made with Greek Yogurt and kale a month ago at a friend's house. I just plain like Whole30-compliant foods, so am happy to eat this way most of the time. My guess is that I eat clean 97 percent of the time. And the 3 percent I am off is typically sugar in some bacon in a restaurant or fish fried in canola oil, etc.

Thanks, Tom. I have the same questions. Today is Day 30, and I'm thinking "Now what?"

WARNING: Random musings here.

I really want some almond milk instead of coconut milk in my coffee tomorrow.

I'm convinced that deleting dairy is what has cured my arthritis, so I'm in no hurry to add any dairy back in.

Can I sometimes buy bottled dressing (organic) or jarred mayo? Do I have to make everything from scratch forever?

I don't care about paleo-fying things like desserts or breads, etc. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I really like vegetables, I haven't eaten grains or sugars in years.

I want a glass of wine sometimes.

I'm just kind of fuzzy on where to set the boundaries now. Maybe they move, depending on circumstances? But how far do they move and how often before I lose the benefit of what I've just done?

Whole30 is a bit too restrictive for me to stay on forever. I had no trouble in the beginning, but the last 2-3 days were awful. I could feel myself becoming rebellious. Even if i just allow myself an occasional step outside, I think it would make a big difference. I already plan to redo a Whole30 a couple of times a year just to make sure I stay on track.

I guess this is the part where I have to individualize what works for me long-term. What allows me to not feel deprived, yet doesn't destroy all the benefit I've gained.

I guess the Whole30 was the easy part. I just had to follow the rules. Now I have to think for myself. LOL!

Maryann, I am experiencing the same thing. I finished my Whole30 last Sunday, ate some chocolate, got a headache, ate some shawarma, got a belly ache, and retreated back into the Whole30 style because hey, rules are easy and I didn't find that I missed much. I'm thinking my long term diet may be "Whole 30 plus prosecco, and gin cocktails".

Archived