How to best store shredded veggies?

Had an opportunity to visit a Whole Foods down in the US last week and was blown away by the salad bar. I'm not a big vegetable person, yet I came out with about 3 lbs' worth of salad. Somehow, crisp shredded veggies are just that much more appetizing than a sad head of cabbage or some beets in my fridge.

I decided I should try shredding a bunch of veggies at home and piling them together in a big tupperware container to take to work with me to help increase my vegetable intake. However....how do I make them last? I know if I have to shred them every night for the next day, this plan will go belly up sooner rather than later, so I'm hoping to hear some tips on how to keep them nice and crisp in the fridge for a few days.

What about making up some of the Mason Jar Salads that are floating around on the Net and were a discussion in the weekly cook ups? The salads are supposed to last a week and I am going to be doing them up this weekend. Would something like that work for you? YOu would need to have a bowl and fork to eat your salad at work, and I have seen tips for carrying the jars to work.

Also, if you just want to keep the shredded veggies in your fridge, you can always use *green bags*. I don't know what you call them in America, I get mine here from Lakeland, but you pop the prepared veg in, seal 'em up and they keep things fresh sooo much longer because they absorb the gases given off.

Hm, I've never heard of anything like those "green bags" you're describing. Gonna have to research this a bit.

I've come across the mason jar salads before, just totally forgot! Thanks for the reminder. Now, if only I had mason jars...haha. Off to Salvation Army Store I go tomorrow!

They look to be a sort of infomercial type thing in the States, from my brief google search.

I usually just store my shredded veg in tupperware containers in the fridge with a bit of paper towel to absorb moisture, but bags would be so much more convenient.

Archived