What are your favorite paleo books?

CaseyD

I've read a few and by far It Starts With Food is my favorite. But, I've read it a couple times now and am looking for something new in the science-y vein - especially if it reads as well as ISWF does.

What are your recommended reads? I'm thinking of reading the updated version of Perfect Health Diet, except I don't know if it is very similar to the original one. Thoughts on that is appreciated as well!

• 3 months later...

I have read tons of paleo books and my favorites so far are:

It Starts with food (Kind of a ringer in here eh?)

The Paleo Solution

4 Hour Body

Well Fed (cookbook)

I lke these because they are not all scientific and make it a more fun read, there are also a TON of more technical ones out there as well that I have read and like, but may not fit everyones reading style as they get a bit dry

Not a paleo book, but i like "Nourishing Traditions" for it's wide range of fermented foods & offal recipes :-)

i should get that...i've been hoping to find some good offal recipes as well as get my hands on some offal...there is a local farm that has grass fed meats and dairy and i may be able to get some from them.

i do love the Primal Blueprint and The Paleo Solution was one of the first paleo books i got...not that i have a lot of them..i certainly would like more of them.

If you can only buy one paleo book, get "It Starts With Food"!  Several reasons: a) easy to read, B) has the details of the whys & the howtos, and c) whether by intention or not, it employs effective "science of learning" techniques to help the dry facts stick to the brain.  Anyone familiar with the "Head First" line of tech/programming books will recognize these elements.

In addition:

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf -- easy read & tipped the convincing-scale for me, also led me here.

The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain -- a bit drier, but short & not difficult.

My favorite cookbooks:

Well Fed -- can't wait for Well Fed 2!

Primal Cravings -- not all Whole30 compliant, but most are easily adjusted.  Besides, it's gorgeous & worth it for just the meatloaf recipe!

And-if-I-had-an-iPad -- Nom Nom Paleo -- but I don't, so I visit her site ALOT & will buy the cookbook as soon as it's published.

I'm also in the midst of the paleo "rebuttal" by Marlene Zuk -- Paleofantasy -- because I like to evaluate both sides.  Even though she takes aim at the paleo community, she is really more relevant to the evolutionary science.  She makes some valid points about differing populations evolving to adjust to different food sources, but misses the frequent advice of many paleo folk -- like Dallas & Melissa -- that the paleo approach is a template and not a re-enactment. 

Practical Paleo- Dianne Sanfilippo- well written and illustrated, recipes for 30 days squeaky clean paleo and lost of specific topics, like athletes, auto- immune

Primal Blueprint quick and easy meals -Mark Sisson- really easy and really quick

Primal Blueprint healthy sauces, dressings and toppings- nice new combos

Well Fed - this all tastes sooo good!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some that weren't mentioned:

The 30-day Guide to Paleo Cooking by Haley Mason & Bill Staley - this one is great for anyone, like me, who's never actually "planned her meals" and all of their recipes are to die for!

Gather - The Art of Paleo Entertaining by Haley Mason & Bill Staley - also wonderful though not for us 30-days as it has several yummy deserts.  I have all of their books - I like there style.

Great websites:

www.nomnompaleo.com - she has an I-Pad feature which probably is nifty however I don't have one of those!  Fortunately she has a phenomenal web page with TONS of yummy recipes!  Plus as mentioned above her new book (YAY) will be available in December - shouldn't be missed!

www.civilizedcaveman.com - George Bryant great, great, great!!  Also tons of recipes here as well!

Abel James www.fatburningman.com also has a great web page.

Linda

• 3 months later...

I was turned on to Paleo/Primal by Paleoista by Nell Stephenson, which I happened upon at the library.  She is very strict in her book but has a fun writing style I enjoyed.  She mentions Mark Sisson in her resources section and that's when I became a subscriber to MDA and decided a slack rope and stand up paddle board were in my immediate future. We already had a Dodge Durango spare tire to flip.  

ISWF is honestly the book I recommend to clients, because it nails the practical (what do I eat?, I can't do this, ahhh!) and hits you with just enough of the science to make you start to dig for more.

If you're looking for something more science-y, as you posted, I'd recommend "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig. Both not technically paleo, but great science-y reads, and both come to the paleo conclusion.

Hope this helps :)

For those who've been waiting for Well Fed 2 and NomNomPaleo cookbook, they're both being delivered by Amazon now... *waits, semi-patiently for package to arrive*

Also, if you've bought a paper book on Amazon, you may be able to get the Kindle version cheaper, if you like both. I have noticed though, it doesn't work unless the package is delivered :)

General information:
Perfect Health Diet - Paul Jaminet

Personal Paleo Code - Chris Kresser
The Paleo Manifesto - John Durant

Also looking *very* forward to Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach

Cookbooks:

Paleo Breakfasts and Lunches on the Go - Diana Rodgers
Well Fed 2 - Melissa Joulwan (she highlights which recipes can be made AIP compliant...nearly 2/3 of them!)

The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook - Mickey Trescott (currently only in ebook form but the hardcover is coming in march. yay!)

I have all of the other paleo cookbooks, including the newest ones, but those are my favorites.

Super excited about Russ Crandall's The Ancestral Table! I love his blog. 

General information:

Perfect Health Diet - Paul Jaminet

Personal Paleo Code - Chris Kresser

The Paleo Manifesto - John Durant

Also looking *very* forward to Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach

Cookbooks:

Paleo Breakfasts and Lunches on the Go - Diana Rodgers

Well Fed 2 - Melissa Joulwan (she highlights which recipes can be made AIP compliant...nearly 2/3 of them!)

The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook - Mickey Trescott (currently only in ebook form but the hardcover is coming in march. yay!)

I have all of the other paleo cookbooks, including the newest ones, but those are my favorites.

Super excited about Russ Crandall's The Ancestral Table! I love his blog. 

ktmo,

How'd you like The Paleo Manifesto? I listened to a podcast just yesterday with Durant, and I'm thinking of picking that one up. I usually try books through our library first before I buy, but they do not have this one.

• 4 months later...

Archived