Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

Karen - YOU ROCK!! I am so happy for you! it truly sounds like things are falling into place and you are finding peace!

I am so super excited for my whole30 in October. husband says he's in. I hope so. he has such bad mood swings and I know if he cut sugar out he would be an entirely different person!

Juzbo - I am often a 2 meal a day eater...but I sadly often have coffee with heavy cream when I get up and then eat my first true meal around 11 or so...sometimes not until 1pm. it's a work in progress. what times are your meals?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm experimenting with 7am and 7 pm, ie skipping lunch and also 12 pm and 6pm skipping brekky. Trying to have dinner with the family.... In Thailand breakfast is included so missing lunch works for that. Unfortunately due to overdosing on coffee and coconut cream on the weekend I am super hungry today and ate the lunch I was hoping to save to tomorrow... Early.

Good luck for your October whole30. I have come to the conclusion that if I plan out whole30s I will offlroad/binge in between worse than I might otherwise. I sometimes offroad now but nothing really nasty. And my family birthdays aren't spaced out nicely like yours LOL. I am so happy your hubby is joining you again.

LADIES! what's UP?! I haven't heard from some of you in a while...I miss you all! but I actually think of all of you every day. you have become a part of my life! I am so grateful, when I want to give up or think it's not worth it I think of all of you and how far we have all come.

I am gearing up for my whole30 in October. the past one I was a "bit lenient"...I wasn't super worried about the "sauce" on my burger at in & out, etc. I was probably 95% compliant. this time I will allow for no "well...". actually, that's not true. the one I will allow is my good bacon from whole foods. it does have sugar listed on the ingredients but 0g in the nutrition information, it's from healthy happy pigs. I just can't order from USWellness again, too expensive, and the "compliant" options of Target sodium free or Safeway sodium free would NOT be from happy pigs. so, since I use it to make my hash, I will stick with what I've got.

Juzbo - I know what you mean about one (or two...or three...) last hurrah's. I've actually been more about trying to stick closer to the template and eat healthier the closer I'm getting to this whole30. my daughter is having a friend over tonight for her last birthday "hurrah" - I am taking them to paint pottery and make candles today, then bringing them home for a movie and pizza. I'm going to order some gluten free pizza (I think...pretty sure...but will decide then). and I've been cooking as much as I can right now. I just made a ton of bone broth, I have some cabbage and ground beef to make, and some butternut squash to make soup. I made a pot roast (I don't like pot roast, but it's something to have) and bought a couple whole chickens to cook in the crock pot. I am still on my sweet potato hash and eggs in the morning. and I'm trying out some new salads - I got the sampler tessamae salad dressings. I LOVE the hot wing sauce, I haven't tried all the dressings but didn't like the southwest and didn't like the bbq sauce.

I have a rack of ribs I'm going to crock pot but that is to be eaten in the next week (or frozen for post) since the sauce I use has some honey and molasses. I got rid of the honey and almond butter, cutting out the lara bars, and haven't touched chocolate again.

OH - and it was my dad's birthday this week. I had chocolate cake for the first time. like real cake with gluten and everything. it was good. the only problem is I didn't notice any specific effects. I was hoping for something. that was Wednesday. actually, yesterday I felt pretty horrible - didn't even think about that! phew.

Day 28 for me today and going on holidays on day 30 for 11 days. So far I have decided to stay off alcohol and stay compliant... We will see how that goes.... It might work out well. This 30 has gone well mostly except I am sill eating way too much, so I am thinking holidays might be a way to fix that... Onion and garlic make me really sick so if I choose not to eat seasoned dishes and go hungry instead if I can't find plain food I might be better off... And that way I won't mind that I have stocked up on healthy whole30 food as it is energy in the bank for when less food is available... True caveman style??? Only works if you are fat adapted...

Jess sounds like you are all geared up. Good luck!

Karen how are you doing??

I'm here!

Jess-- I am enjoying your family pictures on fb. And maryann-- although I don't agree with your rants I am so happy to receive them every day. My life is like a very bad Fellini movie. Feel like I am living in an alternative universe. Husband failing rapidly.

I am still 90% compliant -- just a tablespoon of ice cream at night when I serve it to my husband. Thinking about joining you, Jess, for your October W 30. I completed 30 days in August. Eating is the one thing I can control!

I'm still here too!

Good Morning,

I am in for an Oct. WHole30.  I've had LOADS of challenges and all I have to do is look at the dark circles under my eyes to see I need to reboot and get back on track with my diet.

I have to giggle because I was having a conversation with my boyfriend the other night (Things are going really well since I moved home and the dog and the cat are learning to coexist together.  That''s as much as I can ask for right now!) about my daughter and her tendency to buck authority and any kind of structure and yet it's so crazy because she THRIVES when she has structure.  Hmmm, who does that sound like?

ME!!

I'm at work and someone just rang the bell so I have to scoot.  More later but just wanted to commit to being IN for OCtober.  Who else is doing this?

Love,

Linda

Shelly - so glad you are hanging in there, I think of you and your husband often.

Linda - you are funny! get back to work~

I'm so happy to have some company on this whole30! I am anticipating a tough time for some reason, so I know I'll need my support system! I do have a friend at CF who is joining me, and my husband said he will join me (hoping he does, I think he will change so much if he does). I made my butternut squash soup, have some cabbage to cook, need to do some chicken.

ONE MORE WEEK...and I have been off roading a bit more. had some of my kids malt last night with my burget, etc. and some tortilla chips and rice yesterday from Chipotle. so remember when I said I wasn't doing that? I guess I lied. shit. oh well, October 1 is right around the corner! (THANK GOD!)

Shelley - Still keeping you and your family in my thoughts!

Jess - sounds like you're getting mentally prepared for a great Whole30, and having some friends - both near and far - with you on the journey will be good for you!

Linda - glad things are going well at home!  

I'd join you guys on the October Whole30, but I think I'm doing pretty good riding my own bike at the moment.  I could stand to cut out anything fried - that's really snuck in more and more - but I'm still gluten, sugar, dairy, and (mostly) grain-free.  Have been since May.  I haven't gone this long without caving ever.  I'm feeling pretty good!  The 5 year anniversary of my health falling apart is next Friday.  I'm going to get a group of friends together - the ones that supported me and stayed my friends when I wasn't that fun to be around - to help me celebrate the progress I've made.  All of you are welcome to join me in spirit!  :)

As we get into the fall/winter months, though, can I ask you guys to keep an eye out on me?  That always seems to be the time of year that's hardest on my body, and I worry that the gains I've made this spring/summer will fall apart this fall/winter as they always do.  If my posts start to get consistently low, can you remind me to take extra Vit. D, get my thyroid tested, etc.?  It always sneaks up on me and I forget there are things I can do.  

Looking forward to hearing about your October adventure!  :)

This week I ended up throwing out half of my prepared food. I just didn't want it-- roasted veggies, chicken and fish. I went out to eat 2 nights in a row. First night not compliant and second night yes. I'm sick of my cooking.

Today I made some bland sweet potato and egg pancake for breakfast and I kinda liked it. I think maybe I'm in a bland time. Keep it more simple.

Thinking hard about the October w30-- yesterday all I ate all day was a little ice cream. I also have a chest cold so maybe that's part of my distaste for food. I will commit one way or the other on the first. I like hanging out with you all so maybe ill do it. Who is in?

Hugs to you, Shelley, you and your husband are always in my thoughts.  If your W30 works for you, fine.  But if this is just more added stress at this time, it isn't the end of the world.  Be kind to Shelley, she's usually holding up everyone else.  She needs some time to uplift herself.

I have been MIA this month and am through my W30 tomorrow.  I will probably stay mostly compliant at home and work, but not worry so much when out.  I work so much that isn't an issue, I never have time to go out.  I don't want to fall back in the snack trap.

I am going out tomorrow for 'happy hour'.  My friend with the cancer and liver issues is doing okay this week and her sister is in town from Seattle.  We are going to a Pacific-rim place with a great tapas menu from 3-7.  It is technically my last day of my W30, but I may end it a few hours early just  to have some rice with my sushi.  Since my 'lecture' about doing chemo on one hand and trying to kill her liver with alcohol on the other, she hasn't been drinking at all and she looks much better.  It may be too little, too late, but on top of all those poisonous chemo chemicals, at least she is no longer ingesting other poisons.

Gotta run.  Dogs to walk, birds to feed, store to clean, etc.  Am helping a friend of a friend rehome two little Maltese pups that are his mother's.  She is too old and ill to care for them.  The prospective adopter passed a vet check with flying colors and the home visit is after work today.  I am so confident this will work I am bringing the dogs along.  She lives in a very upscale, gated community, so I don't anticipate her home being an unsafe environment for these dogs.

two days to go...THANK GOD!! I feel so puffy and bloated and I'm pretty sure I've gained back a couple lbs. but I'm also right around ovulation time. I've noticed I get even more bloated during mid month than I do during my period. but that's not all of it, I know that for sure. I have 3 friends at my CF gym and 3 or 4 friends at my work plus you on here and all of that makes me feel much safer! I am actually going to shoot for 50 days as it would bring me to the day before my 40th birthday. I don't believe in coincidence!

got my soup made and bone broth, chicken in crock pot, butternut squash soup, making egg muffins today. just finished some sweet potato hash and almond butter cabbage with ground beef. I'm going to check out TJ's for compliant almond milk (I thought I saw somewhere they have some) since I don't know if I'm going to have the time/energy to make my own hazelnut milk this go around. I'll probably make it when I can and use store bought the rest of the time. I did offer to trade some compliant meals with people or at least trade for some of the bone broth I've made.

I do work tomorrow so that's why I'm trying to get this done today, but I know I at least have enough to get me through Tuesday and then I have T, W, Th, F, Sa, Su off. but my girl has a competition on Sunday and it's at her gym, so it will be an all day thing (I have to work it part of the time...).

who else is in? :D:lol:

• 1 month later...

hello my dear sweet friends - how are you all? this topic hasn't been touched in a month!~ well...I'm back here. would love to hear from all of you!

I am continuing on in my journey and trying to figure out where I fit and what the heck I'm doing and not doing. I am considering integrating a smoothie every day. I know this is completely against the whole9 "way of life", but the reality is I need my kids and husband (and myself) to eat more greens and veggies and doing a fruit/veggie smoothie with added yogurt, protein powder, and super greens seems like the right thing to do. I have been doing a lot of research on probiotics and GAPS diet and am planning on making my own 24 hour fermented yogurt (seems easy enough) as the yogurt in it. through this past whole30 it has become completely clear that my husbands mood is directly related to his food intake, and the more I read about the gut/psychological connection the more I am convinced this will help him (and me and the kids). I have always been a "rule" follower, it's easier for me to peg myself INTO something (I eat Paleo) rather than remembering that I need to adjust and tweak to fit what's right for me and my life.

SO, I am going to try this for a month or so (eating "compliant" meals once or twice a day and a smoothie - often I find I only want to eat 2x a day). no dairy in the house other than heavy cream and butter (coffee/cooking), and zero grains. husband is eating corn/rice/gluten free oats. I am trying to get the kids to do the same. but I do intend to have gluten free pizza (or some other gluten free grain) maybe 1x a week. and no sugar. none. at all. no "well..."

I am hoping that I can get my girls to eat more protein (especially the gymnast) and get more nutrients into them this way (I will admit their diet is horrible. it's something I feel frustrated about and, in some ways, ashamed of and so I really need to try to figure out a way to make it work)

in other unrelated news - my daughter had her last gymnastics meet of the season yesterday and she qualified for states! I am so proud of her irregardless of whether she placed for states or not - she has grown SO MUCH this season - she received zero medals at two of the meets and this past meet she actually got 6th place on vault, 3rd on bars and 3rd on floor! beam was her last event and I know she got super nervous at the end - she knew this was her last chance to make it to states and her entire team had already qualified so I know she felt pressured. even though they were a rooting for her and love her I also know that it made her feel that it was bigger than it actually was. her whole routine was absolutely amazing and then she fell on her dismount, BUT she got back up and did it! if she had hit that dismount she would've gotten 2nd or 3rd on beam! amazing!! I have learned so much from this season, too. my hope and wish was to get to a place where I could enjoy the beauty of what she does without the personal connection to it (my own ego) and that has finally come. I am no longer comparing her to other girls on her team and hoping she does better than them, only that she is doing her best, enjoying it, and learning how to be a team, how to win graciously, and how to LOSE graciously. SO this means on November 23/24 we will be down in the middle of nowhere to watch her compete. it's the weekend after my 40th birthday. what a gift from God!

xoxo - shout out everyone! ROLL CALL! :)

Great update, Jess!  Sounds like you're making progress with the gymnastics stuff - that's awesome!  And has your husband put the connection together regarding his moods and food?  I hope so!  

I just got back from vacation.  Went to Boston to see my sister and family.  The most 'cheat' I had was a bit of bacon, ketchup, and mayo.  Otherwise, I'm still on track.  With those exceptions, no gluten, no sugar, no dairy, and no other bad stuff that my body can't tolerate.  I didn't even crack with the Halloween candy.  At this point, I've bee clean since May.  And really, I feel excellent.  I no longer tell myself it's ok to cheat.  I eat clean.  Don't always follow the meal template and I'll have the occasional glass of wine - but I'm not longer eating crap.  I'm riding my own bike and rocking it!

I'm down to a weight I haven't been at since 2006, maybe?  I still have a few skinny clothes that I can't fit into, but I can fit into most (doesn't mean they're still in style...)  And, I saw an ex boyfriend out in Boston and he commented, too!  His exact words were, "Have you swallowed a tapeworm?"  Coming from him, that's a compliment.  :)

Work is insanely stressful at the moment, but should start getting back to normal within the next week.  Fingers crossed.

How's everyone else?  

Glad you did so well in Boston, Karen!

Jess, this is the place I wanted for you and your daughter!  Enjoying the beauty and the athleticism, without the fun-sucking comparisons.  You will both be happier for it, and she will probably be a better athlete without the burden of doing it for you.  Congrats, sweetie.  I know it didn't come easy, but your hard work paid off.  I won't comment on the smoothie, never had one, don't understand the attraction.  But you are riding your own bike, so do what you think will work.

Did my weekly grocery shopping today.  This town gets snootier all the time.  Now we have valet parking at Whole Foods.  Seriously?

• 2 weeks later...

valet at Whole Foods, huh? wonders never cease. I'm surprised we don't have that at our Palo Alto location...

I'm doing ok. just ok. this is my "birthday week" and I turn 40 on Wednesday, so I admit I'm more indulgent and lax than I would like to be (and normally am) but that means I've eaten some grains (rice and corn) and have had dairy (which I don't mind, my plan has always been to eat dairy, but maybe not as much as I'm eating right now). included in those "grains" is gluten free items and so I'm doing my best to stay on track until my birthday is over, then it will be much easier (I think). my husband is still struggling to stay gluten-free and it's been a blessing to have him go this way. I also have been doing a smoothie daily which is mainly a protein base (egg, egg white, and beef protein isolate), some coconut milk, a slice of pineapple, a handful of cherries, and a super green powder (probiotics, etc). I got a couple smoothie recipe books at the library with some great green smoothies (70-90% veggie) and I plan to start experimenting with those. and I've been doing coffee in the morning before food - a habit I hate. today I made myself stop and eat my breakfast.

I've been doing so much research on GAPS and probiotics as well as benefits of green smoothies I feel like I'm really starting to tailor my food to what I need. I found that I was making some baked goods (paleo) and eating too much (winding down with that) and that even the smallest addition of grains (rice or corn) bloats me. and I'm not sure about the dairy, but my intention is to remove it again after my birthday and see, then add back in only grains w/o dairy and see. kind of a reverse elimination.

hope you all are doing well! I haven't been on here because I feel like I'm not "TRUE" whole9 or whole30 and I sometimes feel guilty about that. like I have no space to say anything because I'm not being perfect. leftover baggage from the past, huh?! I miss hearing from you guys!

Happy Birthday, Jess!  Mine was Thursday.  I turned 58.  And for my birthday I did...absolutely nothing.  I decided a long time ago that birthdays after a certain age were nothing special, in fact it's kind of cynical to celebrate "Yay!  Another year and I'm still here!"  Most of my friends, except the ones who have known me since college, don't even know when my birthday is.  It does make it easier not to treat myself with massive quantities of wheat and sugar.

I am not always compliant either.  My key is staying prepared.  If there is quick, easy compliant food on hand, I rarely think of doing anything else.  When I know there's nothing home that won't require large amounts of time and effort, take out looks much more appealing.  Trying to break that way of thinking.

I have come to the conclusion that I will never evolve to the point where I'm 100% all the time.  That is a goal that I know will be impossible to reach, and will just set me up to fail.  But I am reaching the point where I can step out and step right back in without a full-on multi-day binge.

So, if I have a hankering for a pizza once every 4-6 weeks, knowing full well what it will do to me, I will have the pizza.  But now, the effects of these cheats are grossing me out and I can't wait until the next meal to eat clean again.

I still haven't gone hog hunting, but friends of mine have bagged deer and hog and surprised me with a cooler full of game yesterday.  They are coming to know me better.  I'm actually happier with mostly ground meat, than venison ham steaks or cube steaks.  Sausage wizard that I am, I love being able to make it with wild game, and venison chocolate chili is awesome.

I put in a raised bed garden last weekend.  I don't have the time to tend a full-fledged garden, nor do I have the time for massive canning and freezing, so I researched 'square foot gardening' and am using his method.  It was easy enough to use cinder blocks for the edge of my 4x4 square, the most time consuming part was mixing the growing medium.  He doesn't use any top soil, just vermiculite, peat moss, and organic compost with manure.  Supposedly, this allows me to grow 16 different crops in one small bed.  I am planning to start another bed next weekend, so my crops will be staggered and I won't have so much to harvest at one time.  And I will repay my hunting friends with fresh, organic produce.

Hope all is well with the rest of you.  Drop a line sometime.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm writing to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. It's just about a year since we started the Whole 100 together. It's been quite the year for me and I am looking forward to a better year ahead and a January 2 start to the Whole 30 reset. Anyone want to join me?

Personally it's been hard but not impossible for me to face every day. I have many friends and family to help me through. I appreciate all your support and prayers and good wishes.

Hi Shelley, you've been in my thoughts.  I hope that you do feel surrounded by love and support.

I'm enjoying a mostly compliant holiday season, and after over a year at this on/off of Whole30s I'm finally figuring out how far off-plan I can go in any given day and still feel decent.  I'm finding that I do better with sugar than with dairy and grains.  This does not mean that I feel great with sugar, it tends to give me heart palpitations.  But for an occasional treat, dark chocolate seems to work well, and it seems to satisfy that feeling that I have where I want to indulge.  I'm kind of relieved to figure this out.

I'm very much in for a January re-set.  I'm going to be including more movement as well.  The past few months have been about adjusting to many new life circumstances, and just going out for a walk has felt like too much.  I'm eager to get my body back into a more responsive, agile place.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  :wub:

hi all! I am so happy to hear from all of you, I think about you all every day.

Shelley - I have been thinking of you most often and am so glad to hear you have such amazing friends and family around to help you right now.

I am in need of a reset for sure! this has been a hard couple of months for me as far as food goes. I think it started with my birthday and just trying to find appropriate boundaries and choices. I have added back in grains a lot - WAY more than I would like. rice and some corn. and I do have dairy (heavy cream and cheese). with this week of holiday food going on my plan is to stay away from gluten as I have been and not stress too much on the sugar aspect. BUT, that being said, I bought some peppermint bark today and ate a bunch. so...back to no buying, but a small bit of someone else has. sigh.

Merry Christmas!!

I am sooo thrilled to get your emails in my inbox today.  Talk about perfect timing.

I am completely out of control and am desperate to do a reset.  I am in for January 1st but will probably start tomorrow because I am just beyond miserable.

Ironically, I am still completely sugar free.  No question about that, sugar makes me so ill that I just can't go there.  BUT that hasn't stopped me from ingesting grains which make me so sick and yet, I still have been eating them.  Again, no wheat, no gluten but as I am completely grain intollerant, ANY grain just sends me off the rails.  Ugh.

It boils down to stress eating and it doesn't work for me.  Calgon take me away!!  LOL!

Amy, I'm with you on the exercise thing.  Perhaps all of us who are going to do the reboot would like to set a few goals for ourselves so we can see how we're doing at the end of the 30 days.  I'm thinking of doing 60 but right now it's going to be 1 day at a time.

Thank God for all of you.  You appeared just when I needed you most!  Phew!

Shelley, I'm so glad you're here.  I also think of you often and am grateful that you have such wonderful support.

Jess, love your picture!

So happy to be here.  WHo else is in for getting back on track?

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you all.  Sending love your way today.

Linda

Hi all. glad I saw this, its good to catch up.... a year, wow! So much has happened both happy and sad, that's life I guess but glad we are all pulling through.

I think I am finally ready to ride my own bike for awhile. I have learnt a lot, had some great periods of clean eating but also some disordered eating patches. Would like to see if having no restrictions plus last years learning of what eating the wrong way does to me is enough to finally find the balance I have been looking for but haven't been able to find yet.

Had a good Christmas, decided to have wine, sugar and a smidge of dairy and overate but within the realm of "acceptable" rather than "binge". Been walking or running the last four days too. Hopefully I can focus on being sensible during the summer break otherwise I wont be able to fit into my work clothes!

Happy Boxing Day,

Justine

Back again, I was so excited to see some activity in this post I only skimmed your posts before writing the above. Funny, but I saw this as I was cleaning up some posts in preparation for an extended break from the forum as I was feeling like it wasn't helping but connecting with you guys again is the answer I didn't know I was looking for. We all still have so much in common with each other!

My goals will be to work on acceptance of my boundaries and limitations... Food wise... Without stressing out and overeating and under exercising... I would love to join you in the whole whatever but will probably focus on sleep, exercise and balanced eating rather than strict whole30 compliance. I won't eat grains, dairy or legumes though. And will limit sugar and coffee and wine as much as I can without focusing on it in a way that triggers more stress.

Here's to a wonderful 2014 everyone.

Justine - love your expanded focus on whole life issues, that sounds great.  I'm looking at whole life issues as well, in a slightly different way.  Looking to go back to the place I lived before this one (the kids and I still miss it); looking to move the kids back to their former school (again, still miss it); and examining some work changes for me.  I'm feeling the relief of possibilities before me in 2014.  In 2013 I made some changes that looked great on paper, and that have not been exactly wrong, but that are not exactly right for me and my kiddoes.

That said, I'll be looking to reboot the Whole30 itself in 2014, because it really helps me with many health issues (from allergies to blood pressure) in a way that nothing else helps.  Gotta love the basics. :wub:   My fridge is already full of good food, so I'm happy about that.

Wishing everyone a peaceful last week before the new year.

Archived