Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

Yay!  Some activity around here!  I really miss you guys. 

I'm in for the reset.  I've done really well for the most part, but still can't off-road without going completely off the rails.  I need to re-examine my body's reactions to certain foods, and weigh what's worth it.  I enjoy eating well, but time is my enemy.  When I have nothing good available, or no time to shop, I tend to head for the crap.  Meatball sub, here I come!

I don't seem to react to either dairy or grains alone, but in combination they make me miserable.  Also, the more I read about what they are doing to our food supply, the more concerned I am on an entirely different level.  I can do a W30 in my sleep, but setting lifetime limits is still an issue. 

Whether I needed a reset or not, I'd gladly do one just to be back in this group again.  I love you all!  Happy New Year to us!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for reviving!  I've been thinking about all of you and missing hearing from you all more often.  I always love hearing from all of you and learning what's going on in your lives.  Shelley - you've been on my mind a lot!

I've been riding my own bike religiously since May.  Until yesterday, I didn't make a poor decision on purpose (Chinese food on Christmas day).  Otherwise, I've been doing excellent avoiding the things I need to, though a few things that snuck in without me knowing until it was too late.  Even made a few batches of Christmas cookies and didn't eat a single one of them!  I have not been Whole30 compliant, though, meaning I've let some more booze and fried foods in than I would like.  I've had a slight return of some pain that I'm starting to get a bit concerned about.  So, count me in for a Whole 30 starting within the next few days!  

I have someone new in my life and he's wonderful in so many ways, but admittedly, has awful eating habits.  Luckily, it hasn't rubbed off on me.  He says he feels great when he's eating at my house and as of tonight, he'll be here for a week so I have plenty of opportunities to feed him (and myself) well.  He's interested in learning more about how to cook healthy (and on a tight budget) to address some skin conditions he has that keep getting worse.  I can't guarantee I can get him on board for 30 days straight, but I can while he's with me!

On another note, I'm cooking Christmas dinner tomorrow night for my family.  I picked up a grass-fed prime rib roast for a small fortune, and I can't wait to indulge in it!  I also ordered a pressure cooker, which I hope will help me make some of those slow-cooked meals and broths a bit sooner so I don't have to wait for a weekend to make them.  

My Whole30 will have me focusing on planning ahead for meals, getting plenty of rest, and keeping my stress to a minimum.  

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress!  

So when are we officially starting this reset? 

I ate a compliant breakfast today!  The last two days have been gleefully filled with chocolate.  Yummers.  But swollen body, so back to the veggies, fats, and meats.

I changed my profile photo to one I had taken toward the end of last Spring's Whole66 (Whole100 for you folks).  A good reminder of how I could basically wake up in the morning and go to a professional photo shoot and nail it.  Because of the veggies, fats, and meats.  :wub:

Amy that picture is amazing!  You're stunning. 

My pic was taken right after the Whole100.  I was much pinker, happier and well if we're going to be techical...thinner too.  But like Amy, my body is horribly swollen.  Ugh.

I feel it too.  Big bags under my eyes and this my friends is just a product of having gluten free grains in my diet.  I should also mention that the "Great potato chip bender of 2013" has been in full swing.  I am CERTAIN that doesn't have anything to do with my body swelling.

That and the fact that I stopped drinking water!!  No excuses.  I'm just so far off the rails and so uncomfortable right now.

My clothes don't fit and I'm walking around in a constant state of fuzziness.  And this is me when I'm still sugar free and wheat free.  My body is just sooo sensitive.

When shall we start?  I'm game for whatever the group census is.

My goals going into this are:

1.  Eat a perfectly compliant Whole30 and reevaluate if I want to extend it.

2.  Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day aside from any other beverages I consume.

3.  Get back into the gym at least 3 x's per week.

LONG RANGE GOALS -

1.  Drop down to a size 8.

2.  Get rid of these bags under my eyes!!

3.  Lower body temperature, regulate hormones.

It's so great to see everyone here.  Hi Karen, Maryann & Justine!

Who are we missing?

Hugs,

Linda

I won't be starting until the new year (most likely the second since I work on the1st).

goals for me include:

reducing this swelling !!!

eating breakfast

more veggies!!

better attitude

give back that 7-8 lbs that have snuck back on

increase strength and speed in the gym

I'm great with the gym - my addiction to CF is still in full swing. I would go 7 days a week if possible.

I am heading to Lake Tahoe with the family for four nights and have even found a gym there. my sister unlawful cooks so we won't likely eat out (bonus) but I will likely eat ice cream and the like...

I agree with everyone - I miss you all so much!

here's to 2014!

So - January 2 sounds like our official start date, with some starting earlier and some a bit later.

What is it with the swelling???  I think that what I used to consider normal now registers as absolutely unacceptable.  I guess that's good!

I am out if town til the 2nd but I will start on the first. . I am going to PARIS on the 25th. So, I get a full 25 days ( probably 26) of total absolute compliance but no promises for Paris. I am very much looking forward to hanging out with you all again. Other goals: yoga, walking the beach and meditation -- at least one each day.

This is great to have everyone together again and some new blood too (welcome Sharon).

I still have fuzzy goals so will think some more... but I know I want to have a really good go at taking good care of my health all January and February... I also want to have some champagne on NYE! So 1st or 2nd Jan sounds good.

My skin flared up on my scalp and I had to resort to anti inflammatories a week ago first time since my first whole30 :(. I now have a rash all over my stomach, not sure if its a side effect of the tablets or a side effect of 3 days of sugar and coffee and wine after pretty much 45 days without... or even too much dried fruit (I've been eating too many dates)... Its always so hard to figure out.

Will go coffee free and sugar free tomorrow and so far no wine although I am going out tonight. Catch you all soon.

Welcome Sharon!

I got that rash back in August, after moving and dealing with lots of life stresses and eating non-Whole30 for the entire month.  It was ghastly.  Now I notice that if I go off of Whole30 eating (particularly with dairy and gluten) for even one meal, I get itchy.

I think that at some point I need to bite the bullet and do an AIP Whole30.  I haven't been able to face giving up tomatoes, cumin, or mayonnaise yet though.  Right now I know that I'm so much better just eating regular Whole30 that I've given myself a pass on the AIP.   But MaryAnn, your comments about reviewing and looking ahead bring this back to my mind.  Something I need to consider, perhaps even for a week's time within a regular Whole30 sometime in 2014. 

Hey Amy, sorry to hear some of your changes this year didn't work out for you and the girls but good to hear you were able to deal with this positively. Persistent rashes are such a pain! I have also contemplated an AIP but have put it in the too hard basket re eggs and tomatoes as well. Maybe we can both try one week at some stage. I would like to finally figure out if there is a food trigger for my skin issues or if it is stress, allergies, sweat or a combination. I suspect some fruits and fish too which is why I haven't yet had a go at AIP as I think it will need to do an AIP plus....

Meanwhile, I have started the day with coffee and paleo pancakes, but at least no sugar and will aim for 3 meals no snacks.... Got my early morning jog in so that's good too.

Karen, sounds like you have had a pretty successful year???

Linda, I feel your misery and have been there too for short visits.... nothing lasts forever so chin up and focus on the positives you can work on to turn the situation around and everyday will get a little better rather than a little worse.

Jess, happy big 4 0..... All I can say is isn't it good fifty is the new forty...

Shelley, so good to hear you are keeping on top of things in such an incredibly difficult situation XX00

MaryAnn, sounds like you are making wonderful progress in attaining a balance, even if you aren't quite there yet, I really admire your dedication and hope some of it rubs off on me :)

I was just thinking the same thing..... I reckon we should have something in the W30 rather than the post w30 section. I don't think any of us are planning 100 days although Amy and I are aiming for 60+ I think. So the old 100 days isn't quite right. Maybe we should go for something like Awesome 2014??? Any ideas? Do you want to start a post Maryann?

I have decided to start tomorrow, being a Monday and all and because I am still on summer holidays for one more week. I will sneak a glass of champagne on NYE. I remember for our last 100 I started on Dec 21st...

I don't think I will do a fully compliant whole60. I will fully exclude grains and dairy and I never eat legumes or food with sauces I haven't made myself. I will exclude added sugars except for small amounts in canned beetroot, bacon, olives etc and might allow some dark chocolate and wine and potato chips if that will stop me overeating on compliant food, sometimes just giving myself permission to have this is all I need to eat sensibly and also not want to have it after all! I have had a bit of extra sugar and a smidge of dairy these last few days - time to reign this in. I also want to avoid whole nuts and dried fruit, and may be coffee and cocoa.

Happy last few days of 2013 everyone.

Justine, that sounds good - Awesome 2014!  We might get some other new folks joining in as well, which will be fun.

I have a concert coming up on January 25, so I am going to begin today (it's Sunday, December 29 as I'm typing this).  I always do better with concerts when I'm Whole30ing.

The big revelation from the latest off-Whole30-eating time is that any dairy or grains at all make me swell up like a balloon.  Chocolate and sugar and even the little bit of caffeine in decaf coffee give me heart palpitations and make me feel anxious and make my heart race for hours.

While I'm not sure that I'd mentioned a Whole60 (though I wouldn't be surprised if I had), I do think that a Whole60 will be optimal for me.  It turns out that I'm one of those folks who really does very much better eating pretty much exactly according to Whole30 guidelines. 

I also want to reiterate my commitment to exercise in the new year.  This is also a commitment to meditation, since the time I spend daily walking (self and golden retriever) is also time I end up meditating.  It's very significant and I've missed it over the past several months.

I'm pleased to be in the position I am right now, not overburdened with the kind of bloating and depression caused by dairy and grains; and knowing that occasional chocolate and sugar will give me a zing - but I'll pay a price.  Not bloating or depression, but heart racing and anxiety.  Funny how all four of those things used to be something I would consider normal, something to be tolerated in my body.  Not anymore!!!

I am so in for a Whole60!!

Like Amy, I plan to be fully compliant...no fudges or cheating. It works best for me this way.

I'm not sure when I'm starting but think it will be tomorrow. Monday feels like a good start day for me AND I am so swollen and miserable right now that I don't think I can wait one more day before getting the ball rolling on this.

I'm also all for starting a new thread.

Has anyone started one yet?

I'm excited to do this again with all of you and welcome new people to the group as well!

Hugs,

Linda

I'm in for tomorrow (Monday, not today).  I forgot there's a family dinner out at a restaurant where the idea of compliant food is just that, an idea.  :lol:

So I marked it on my calendar, last day is February 27.

If no one has started a thread by the time I get to the forums tomorrow, I'll start it.  But I'm usually later than anyone else, so I'll probably just join in.

Happy good eatin'! :wub:

• 3 months later...

hi everyone! where are we all? I miss all of you. I'm sure you have all been crazy and busy just like me.

things are going ok here, I'm still married at this moment in time and hoping and praying and being cautiously optimistic but it is easier some days than others. I'm planning on seeing how this summer goes and hoping for some clarity.

I'm starting ANOTHER whole30 today with a friend from the gym. she's already told me to stop complaining and reminded me that I not only did 100 days strict straight a year ago but I introduced the whole30 to her. so I shut up. promptly.

ok...where are you all and what's new?!

Good luck on your next Whole30!!  And yes, no complaining.  You got this!  I can't imagine what you have going on in your marriage, but I hope that some additional time will give you some clarity.  Sending strength your way!

As for me, I was in a car accident a month ago.  I have a very mild case of whiplash that's pretty close to healing up thanks to acupuncture, but I think the stress on my body did a number on it.  I gained 8 pounds almost overnight, despite my diet being the same.  :(  I think I'm due for a Whole30 soon, but need to get the motivation...  

In other news, I got engaged this weekend!!!  We had to work through some really big things early on but surprisingly found we had the communication and patience to work through it together (in past relationships, we'd both just flee and we even did that early on until we realized how silly that was) and came out on the other end in a really good place.  He took me to a nature preserve on Saturday and popped the question by a small pond.  It was lovely and I'm so incredibly happy!  

How's everyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Karen I've been meaning to respond - I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! after following your journey on here I'm super excited for you to have such an amazing experiencing - you are so lucky! can't wait to hear about the wedding!

Hi folks! 

Karen, congrats, really happy for you! :wub: :wub:  

Jess, sounds like you're really re-evaluating everything - here's hoping you find your path forward.

I'm eating mostly Whole30 these days, and still working with the naturopathic physician on adrenals and autoimmune stuff.  It's going well, and I feel confident that I've found my basic way of eating for life.  I'm very lucky to have found Whole30, I think I'd be in pretty bad shape without it.

Love to all.

Archived