Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

Hi everyone!  I've been MIA for about a month.  Baby bird season, fired another employee (I'm done, I tell ya.  Gone are the days when people started a job and did their best to impress you.  Now they spend their time trying to figure how little work they can do and still collect a paycheck.)  My eating has been abyssmal.  I feel like a stuffed sausage and I'm ready to get back on track as soon as I find the time to shop and do a cook up.

CONGRATULATIONS, KAREN!!!!  What wonderful news!  How wonderful that you both thought this was worth the effort and you made it out the other side.

On the other hand, so sorry you've hit a rough spot, Jess.  I am glad to see you are taking your time to see how things work out, instead of making a hasty decision. 

Taking a few spare minutes to poke around the forums, reconnect, and get some inspiration to start another W30.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy all - Maryann, welcome back! 

Karen, I don't know if I congratulated you yet or not, but CONGRATULATIONS!!

Jess, strength, courage, clear vision vibes going your way. 

I'm doing a Clean Fourteen (see link in siggy) leading up to a trip I'll be taking next week.  All going well, including getting in shape and adjusting thyroid meds.

Thanks, ladies - it's really exciting.  I've been doing a lot of work on me - both the inside and the out - and it's fun to have someone share that journey with me.

At the moment, though, my insides are a mess.  I had the stomach flu in Feb. and haven't recovered, and I packed on 10-12 pounds since a car accident in March.  Things are quite a mess.  I'm going to start some new supplements and will be doing a test for parasites, among other things, but feel like a mini Whole30 is in order.  I'll probably start this weekend.  I don't have high hopes that it'll turn things around, but I at least hope it makes things more bearable until we figure out what's going on.

Amy - I meant to ask, whatever came of the integrative doctor or naturopath you saw?  I see you're adjusting thyroid meds - is that a result of the new doc?  Hope all is well!

Maryann - whatever life throws at you, a Whole30 is always waiting for you when you're ready!  If you have the inspiration to start this weekend, join me!

I am still working with a naturopathic physician and it has been life-altering. Lots to tackle bit I feel confident instead of dismissed. Huge huge thanks to you for your recommendation!

I've just been a moderator for a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Congrats, Amy!  You are perfect for the job.  You always have a calm, supportive perspective on everything, and fabulous insight.

On top of everything else, I am battling plantar fasciitis.  It sucks.  I have been limping since before Christmas, when I stepped on a thumb tack in my bare feet and drove it straight into my heel.  It was quite uncomfortable, but I have a high pain tolerance and just kept putting off a doctor visit until it reached the point where I could barely walk.  My doctor thinks I may have punctured the plantar fascia, in which case these horrible, rigid, hard orthotics may not do the trick.  They work best when the cause is shoes with poor support, not so well for injury.  Keep your fingers crossed that they work.  I really don't have the time for surgery.

Karen- It's not so much the motivation, it's the thought of standing on this foot to cook and clean up.  I have been living on take out and frozen food.  Totally disgusting, but after working all day, it's all I can do to remain upright long enough to feed the dogs.  I'm not sure which is worse, the untreated heel pain, or the way my feet feel after standing in these rock hard orthotics all day.  I may have to go buy cushioned insoles, but I'm not sure my shoes will still fit with both things in them.

Uh oh, Maryann, that sounds painful!  I hope it gets resolved soon!

My efforts to start a mini-Whole 30 this weekend were thwarted.  We were going to install new countertops and sink in my kitchen this weekend, but as usual, things take longer than expected and I'm without a functioning kitchen.  Should wrap up my portion of the work tonight, and have a plumber coming by in the morning to finish the loose ends I can't get to, so I should be back on track by next weekend.  I really, really need this!

• 1 month later...

Wow Karen sorry I missed your news, I have been following the other thread... Awesome 2014.

I am really excited for you, congratulations... Not quite sure when your spring is, April? May?

Anyway a few of us are starting a whole30 in August and posting on the other thread, hope you can join or support us?

• 2 months later...

Just popping in to leave a note in case anyone wanders by.  Wondering how y'all are doing?

Howdy Maryann!!  I'm still here, obviously. I just started a Whole40 on Saturday, it will take me through the day before Thanksgiving. I've been enjoying Whole30-style eating very much over the past few months, but haven't done a Whole30 specifically since it was summer and I wanted to eat ice cream with my kiddoes. It's nice to be back at it. I notice that the longer I eat this way, the more my body composition changes. I've had a lot of changes in the past year, and this year my goal is to get fit. To that end I've started - drum roll please - WALKING! :lol::ph34r:  Next up will be some way to lift stuff. I don't have any way to do that right now, but will be looking into it.

Hope all is well with our group here. Love to you all. Maryann, hope your housing/vermin situation has improved. Good thoughts all around. :wub:

Good to hear from you, Amy.  Sounds like things are on track for you.  I had an almost 100% non-compliant summer, and I'm paying for it now.  I gained weight (15 lb) and my joint aches and fatigue came back. I am doing much better now, but trying to balance clean eating with the need to cut back on expenses.

It has been a year for vet bills around here, around $6000 so far, and Brandy is having the first of two needed hip surgeries next week at a cost of $1800 per hip.  The old me would have immediately loaded up on pasta and ramen noodles in an attempt to eat cheap.  I'm struggling now with just returning to conventional meats and chicken.  Costco organic ground beef is my friend.  And the inclusion of white potatoes is turning out to be my salvation.  It's a cheap, healthy food and when I'm too tired or hungry to fuss with zoodles, I can throw some homemade meat sauce or other topping on a zapped potato and call it good.  

I'm not attempting a Whole-anything in the near future, but I'm eating as clean as I can.  Breakfast is always compliant, mostly because compliant foods are my preferred choice for that meal.  Lunches are pretty good, with the exception of jarred mayo.  Collard wraps are my saving grace.  Dinners are also mostly compliant, with the exception of an occasional serving of rice or some soy sauce.

No wheat, corn, sugar, legumes, or dairy.  Scale is coming back down.  I just started some seedlings for my garden.  I have to finish getting that together this weekend.  I want to seriously expand my garden this season.  I still need to save for Brandy's second surgery, so growing most of my own organic veggies would help.  Waiting for my avocado tree to start fruiting.

And yes, the vermin problem has been resolved.  It cost me a small fortune, but I hired the best company in town.  For something like that, it isn't worth cutting corners.  I just wanted them gone!  On the bright side, a new house is now going up on the site of the pestilence spreader, and will make a positive contribution to the look of the block instead of having that eye-sore around.

If any of the rest of you are around, I miss you all and hope all is well.

Archived