Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

MaryAnn-- are you eating enough fat? Try really logging your good for a few days and maybe you (orWe) can see the issue.

I went to the funeral in DC and stayed overnight with close friends. They took me out to dinner I are shrimp, clams, mussels -- all compliant. Then my friend ordered fried calamari. It was amazingly good. I also had a glass of wine. It is becoming increasingly clear that wine does not agree with me. So interesting. I really think I need a Whole 7.

It was good to spend a night with friends. A night off from "hyper-vigilance".

At airport. I have an apple and nuts. Should keep me til I get home.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an 85% chocolate bar, it was yum, much nicer than the 70% bar, tasted like real chocolate. I hadn't had cocoa for a week. Going better than i thought I would without eggs or any type of potatoes. Not seeing any changes yet though. Struggling but keeping away from coffee. My tea consumption has gone up though. I eat my ghee by he spoonful, not problem eating fat in this corner....

Fat might be the key. I watched myself fix breakfast this morning. Reheated sweet potato hash in a non-stick pan, cooked eggs in a second one. Only fat was whatever grease was left in the meat. Come to think of it, unless I eat a sweet potato, which I put ghee or coconut oil on, or roasted veggies with oil on them, I don't add fat to veggies either. I don't like buttered vegetables. Prefer the taste plain.

Off to eat a spoonful of coconut oil.

morning all! hope everyone is doing well. I'm doing ok, went to talk to my therapist yesterday and mostly talked about food and my issues around it. I'm still struggling every day with wanting to be "perfect". I'm trying to find a good balance and I'm trying to RELAX! I know this journey has shown me how tightly wound I am, and spotlighted a lot of my control issues, so having the strict rules was so much more comforting. as of now I feel almost in a state of paralysis...I don't want to eat outside of the template and when I do I beat myself up. I want to relax and eat paleo muffins and such, but every time I do I hang my head with guilt and shame. for eating muffins made of almond butter, zucchini, apples, and eggs. it is doubling back on my initial relationship with food and my cravings vs. the guilt I feel if I do eat things that I crave. I have a long way to go.

so I'm trying to breath today. I made a batch of the zucchini muffins and they are good, they are healthy, they are FINE and I will sit down and eat one or two today. and I won't feel guilty. and I will enjoy them. I got up this morning and started my day off with the same breakfast I always do. I will eat good food...healthy food, remain eating paleo, and just relax a bit. I am also going to make some blueberry lemon muffins for my family (paleo) and try one. and not feel guilty about it.

this is a JOURNEY and I don't get to go from 0-100 overnight. I get to go through this period, introduce paleo muffins, etc., eat some chocolate (for now, will be re-visiting with my therapist in a couple weeks), have a meal out every week, etc. and then stay to my plan of doing another strict whole30 in June.

I also found that I am TERRIFIED I will gain any weight back if I'm not eating strict compliant whole30.

thanks guys for helping me with this journey! I just went through and pulled all my posts out of our previous log and copied them onto a word document so I can go back and look at it. just read through and see my journey. when I started in January I created a blog but rarely posted in it, I hope to put those entries into the blog (I dated them, too) and continue to blog on there. I feel like I've used this as my own personal blog with advice from friends, exactly what I need...

You're doing really well Jess. I struggled for a bit after my whole30. This time around is much better now. I stopped buying coconut and almond meal which makes it much easier. Now I just buy a small amount and use it up over a day or two. Since I am avoiding eggs then I don't need it at the moment..

I am happy with how my eating is going, a little bit of wine, a very small amount of sugar. When I am busy at work I don't even think of food. Yesterday I had half my lunch before a meeting at 130 and didn't get around to eating the rest till 4pm. Love not being a slave to hunger. I still get cravings at night time and snack a bit after dinner but not so bad

Aaaargh had two glasses of wine last night and lots of cashews then decided to have coffee this morning and paleo pancakes with syrup for lunch as well as a chocolate bar, what the??? Feel really awful now, not so much stomach wise but anxious and sad! And this morning I was strongly contemplating going out and buying a loaf of gluten free bread and having toast and vegemite! And I have been in my gym clothes all morning but just can't face exercising. And too wired to take a nap but feel really tired.

Instead, deep breath!

And ... online to order ISWF. I really need to understand why I need to put in the effort to make more careful food choices and become a bit more committed. Eating any other way is just a recipe for disaster for me.

Now off to the library to get primal blueprint

Justine - I hear you!! I actually have the primal blueprint and the paleo solution but haven't read either...

I made some amazing lemon blueberry muffins http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/lemon-blueberry-nut-muffins/ and am trying relax about them. I ate three yesterday - one with lunch and two with dinner. I noticed that when I did this I ate no nuts or had any craving for chocolate and therefore left my chocolate bar in the freezer. so I guess in the end I'm realizing that I'm ok with eating something every day as long as it's "paleo" and I don't feel horrible today. in fact, I slept great last night. but I don't think I'll make the muffins again anytime soon, the temptation of having them there is tough. I would love to eat them all in one sitting. but I made sure I ate my full meal, waited to see if I was full or not, and then had a muffin.

I'm off to work for today and tomorrow. I am bringing the rest of the muffins with me! and an avocado. in the grand scheme of things I think eating paleo muffins compared to where I was 5 or 6 months ago is pretty f'ing awesome! :)

Very true Jess. And I am happy with the general food I am eating... I think I need to tweak how much and when a bit and also look at when I have water. Since I don't have a gall bladder drinking with meals might be less than optimal. I am also going to change my exercise routine based on info in the primal blueprint.....

Anyway I am off interstate again for work this week then out of action the week after with my surgery so I will catch you all in a couple of weeks, have a good one everyone.

Been quiet around here, eh?

I've been feeling lethargic for over a week. Today I am officially sick. I think my new-found health allowed me to fight it off much longer than I otherwise could, but it has been a drain on my body. I will double up on my bone broth and eat clean.

Last night I worked at my store until almost 10 pm doing stuff I can't do when I'm open. I ran to the store and picked up a spicy tuna wrap from the sushi counter, and a small side salad. The wrap was tapioca paper, which was fine, and I only had a small taste of the sicky-sweet-yet-spicy gelatinous mess that passes for sauce they package it with. Major ingredient--corn syrup. No thank you.

When I got home I was starving and I realized there'd been no fat with my dinner. I only sprinkled a little balsamic on the salad, no oil. I was craving chocolate, and something sweet, and I'm post 100 so I can dabble. So I mixed up a few spoonfuls of coconut manna, some unsweetened cocoa powder, a bit of raw honey, and a little coconut milk. It came out like chocolate pudding. The first bite was heavenly. The second bite was good, but sweet, and I barely got the third bite down before I decided it was way to rich to eat any more of. I don't think I've ever stopped eating chocolate before it was gone, even if I don't have much taste for other sweets.

Hi Maryann! yes, it's super quiet on this post, so I started a personal post whole30, I miss everyone! sorry to hear you are feeling under the weather...change in season here on the west coast has a lot of people sick. so far (knock on wood) I've been ok.

food has been going ok for me, I have decided not introduce anything else but have been having some dark chocolate and goat's milk cheese. other than that pretty much compliant. I've made paleo muffins a few times, but will have to see how often that happens, I think it's going to have to be a rarity!

Hi! I started a W5 yesterday. I am just having a hard time with stuff around the house-/ ice cream and jelly beans. My sister in law is here helping And she is amazing. She cooks compliant dinners every night which is fantastic so I can't fault her jelly beans and ice cream. I just can't eat them. So, I have to declare this W5 just to get back on track and then remove them from my repertoire permanently.

Miss you all.

I miss everyone :(

Shelly - good idea with the reset. I'm not there yet but it is always on the table and I think knowing that makes me more comfortable. I am planning on another whole30 the month of June anyways, so honestly I know that's only a month away (!! HOLY CRAP! where did the time go?!)

Good Morning!

So sorry I've been absent. LOTS going on but when is it ever calm? Sheesh.

Jess, thanks for starting the conversation around stress and "doing it perfect" and just trying to find your balance. I'm with you on all of that.

I seem to be pretty compliant with the odd sugar-free chocolate bar here and there. It doesn't work for me at all and yet I feel compelled to continue testing it!

I found a non-gmo popcorn that I tried. It works if I eat it once every few weeks. I tried it 2 x's one week and it did not go over well.

MaryAnn, I hope you're feeling better and finding what works for you. Did it make a difference to add more fat?

My biggest challenge right now is stress. I have ordered a book called "Addicted to Stress - a 7 step program to recovering joy in your life" (or something like that). While I admit to cringing at the title, I think that a lot of my physical ailments have been exaserbated by my emotional state. This needs to be addressed right away. I'm still not sleeping after removing myself off of all my supplements to see what's keeping up at night, I find it is stress, not the supplements.

My body temp has gotten very high and I'm having the mother of all hot flashes and night sweats again. I did some research yesterday and guess what? All induced by large amounts of stress.

This would be the part where I yell at the heavens "I GET IT!!!"

But first I'll say it here.

As it always seems to be in my life, I can lower my body temp (and my stress level) with food. Sweet juicy fruits (but not a lot) leafy green vegetables and LOTS of water.

Coupled with that I will go walk a dog in the sunshine after work and then go get supplies for my foster dog Tessa, whom I'm picking up tomorrow night.

Just walking her and spending time with her is going to make such a difference for me!

Seems I'm rambling this morning. So sorry. It's been ages and I forget that not everybody gets this journey I'm on, but you do and I'm so grateful for that.

Shelly, I hope the jelly beans & ice cream are not singing the siren's song to you today. I've been thinking about you and hope you're well. Have you been able to carve out any Shelley time? I hope so, you deserve it.

Justine good luck with your surgery! Check back in when you're up for it. You'll be in my thoughts.

Question, what is different with the Primal Blueprint than a classic paleo diet? Mark Sisson's book, right?

Have a great day!

Hugs,

Linda

Hi, Linda! Sorry about the stress. Here's to having it lifted very soon. A friend of mine once said it is only stressful if you let it be. Easier to say than to do, but there is some truth to it. Fix what you can and let the rest go. Stressing over it won't change it. Post a pic of Tess when you get her. I'm anxious to hear all about her. My 12-year-old foster spent the night at the vet this week. She had been sleeping all the time and reluctant to get up and move. Turns out her spine is in terrible shape. It's called ankylosing spondylitis. It is progressive, a form of arthritis, and eventually when the pain meds stop working, I will have to put her down to end her pain. So I guess I'm her forever home now. She is responding well to the rimadyl, and as long as she is comfortable and happy, we will carry on.

Shelley, I love your attitude. I can't tell you how many times in my life I would get off whatever track and just throw up my hands and surrender. Who knew you could just hit the reset button?

I did weigh this morning, as it is once again the first of the month. I have lost another 3 pounds, so all is well.

Hurry back, Justine, and I hope all goes well with the surgery. I miss my morning juzbo posts!

Jess, I meant to tell you the other day, I also think a couple of paleo muffins in comparison to your earlier diet is far better. The other night when I made the 'pudding', I could just as easily have run out for a half gallon of some kind of chocolaty ice cream, and that would have started the "I blew it, who cares?" mindset in action.

Linda - can't wait to hear more about the pup. that alone with decrease my stress. I have been trying to find balance and it's hard. exhausting. let us know how the book is....and I bought both Rob Wolff's book and the primal blueprint but haven't read either yet.

Maryann - thanks! I'm trying to remember that. and YAY for 3 more pounds! I am waiting a week to weigh.

Not feeling well last week, I have been relying too much on sweet potatoes. They are tasty, filling, and easy. I think I had one as my only veg at least twice a day, because cooking was too much effort. Today I got back in the swing of things. Roasted up a couple of trays of broc and carrots. Salad fixins in the fridge, too. Hope to be back to the gym by Monday.

Maryann - sounds like you've had a couple weeks of under the weather. bummer! I'm glad you are feeling better. are you super busy at work? or just the change of season? whatever it is I hope it passes soon.

I'm doing ok, had some serious emotional days this week with my daughter's gymnastics and MY disappointments. she was actually not as distraught as I was (a couple of girls from pre-team moved over to team last week and she and another girl had to stay on pre-team for at least a couple more weeks) but I didn't dive head first into the sugar.

I've still kept my introductions to goat cheese and chocolate. I'm having about 2 squares of dark chocolate at some point during the day. a little too bitter to have much more...oh who am I kidding? I could eat the whole frickin bar in about 2 seconds, but I sit down and EAT them with intention rather than shove in, when I'm done I seriously think about if I want more and make a decision at that point. so far more hasn't been a choice so I'm happy with that. the goat cheese is here and there, I had a little parm on my asparagus the other day and felt a little off the following day. I am shocked if that small amount of cow's milk cheese would trigger my seizures, but who knows. I was EXHAUSTED at work yesterday (I had the cheese the night before) and decided to run downstairs to grab a cup of coffee, put some whole milk and 2 sugars in it, took about 3 sips and dumped the rest down the drain. it wasn't great and by that time I had started thinking about the cheese the night before and my symptoms.

this weekend is filled with cinco de mayo celebrations in this area and I might have some tortilla chips or corn tortilla. I've had such a reaction the past couple times I've had something "off plan" I don't know if it's worth it...sigh. but I haven't tried corn yet.

Good Morning,

I noticed we're not on the boards as much and I'm thinking life is getting back to where is was pre-whole100. I'm going to try to post more. I don't want to lose touch with all of you and it's easy to say "I'll post tomorrow". So a quick note today to touch base.

Bad weekend for food. I had events that I didn't plan ahead for and had to go through McDonalds drive through for an angus burger (no bun). Not enough to satify me AND I ate fries like an idiot and forgot that McDonalds puts sugar in their fires. Migraine. Hideous migraine that made me bitchy and took me out for the whole evening. Lesson learned thank you very much. sigh.

On a brighter note, Tessa and I are getting along swimmingly. She is such an angel and she's settled in so quickly I can hardly beleive it!

She's is SO fat. She has bald patches on her back & feet, cronic ear infections, stomach issues and an eye ulcer. I talked to some people and it is in agreement that she has a grain allergy. Too funny, huh?

So my darling pup is on a grain free fish based diet, is getting coconut oil as a treat once a day to help with her dry skin and bald spots and she's also getting a little coiloidial silver in her water dish.

We're walking for an hour every morning (about 2.5 miles) and she LOVES it!

I have slept through the night since she arrived.

I am quite happy with her presence in my life. She is nothing short of a gift. I'm thinking of keeping her. LOL!

MaryAnn, I hope you're on the mend and Jess, I hope you're feeling better too.

Juzbo & Shelley, sending hugs if you're reading this too.

Have a great week!

Linda

Hooray for Linda and Tessa! My dogs are all on grain-free diets as well. Dogs are carnivores, we only started feeding them corn and wheat because Big Agra produced SO much every year that they had to find new uses for it to keep prices propped up. So they convinced the pet food companies to base their formulas on grain, and both they and the pet food industry started funding all the research and scholarships in veterinary schools. Obviously, most universities won't bite the hand that feeds them, so vets are taught grains are good, not because they are, but because to do otherwise would be crippling financially. I am convinced that basing their diet on grains causes as much trouble in dogs as it does in humans.

I have decided I do not like honey. I want a little 'sweet' in my coffee, without changing the taste of the coffee itself. Raw honey makes my coffee taste like, well, raw honey. Next up: cane sugar. We'll see how a little of that goes.

Hi everyone!! Thought I'd pop in to say hello to my fellow centurians. Everything is well in my whole forever with offroading when it's worth it. I had sweet potato fries with mole sauce, crema and cojita cheese. My annual Cinqo De Mayo splurge. First splurge since the disappointing lox and bagels. The fries were worth it. :0)

Linda, what a sweet sounding dog Tess is. Paleo Tess. :)

Hope everyone stays healthy and happy.

hi ladies! I know, this thread is getting smaller and smaller...that's why I ended up starting a thread on my own. I miss you guys!

things are going well for me here, I did go out last night and had corn for the first time. I actually feel fine today, so that's good. we went to Chevy's and I ate a LOT of tortilla chips, ended up with tortilla soup (wasn't good, I only at a little bit) and the chicken fajita salad which was actually really good. I have no idea what they use in their marinade and am certain the dressing had sugar, but it was really good and probably the best choice I could've made.

things are ok with me and my emotional gymnastics fiasco. my girl has gymnastics today and I'm working so I won't be there to watch her, but I'm sure she'll do fine.

I am somewhat gearing up for my June whole30, I am going to try to recruit whoever is interested from my CF as well as some mom's from my daughter's school (one already attempted a whole30 back in Feb, so I'm not going from ground zero). my hubby says he is interested, too, and I'm hoping to get a couple days out of him if nothing else. my daughter has committed to 2 days :lol: :lol: so we'll go from there.

Archived